Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dynasty Warriors 9 - massacre in China continues + Empires announced

Deflowerer

Arcane
One of my dream games would actually be Operation Europe: Warriors. As outlandish and outrageous as possible, I'm talking like playable Winston Churchill who personally fights off thousands of Germans using a bottle of booze, a lit cigar, a tommy gun and a bulldog. With Raoh-looking von Manstein for nazi Lu Bu.

And then you play as Zhukov and ragequit as Simuna one shots you across the map.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
So some time ago they added a Free Trial mode. Has anyone tried it since?
https://www.koeitecmoamerica.com/dw9/info_free.html

1.Try out the story mode using any officer of your choice!
By using "Trial Tickets," you can play the early stages of the story mode using any officer of your choice. You can choose up to 3 officers from our cast of 90 officers.

2.Enjoy the game even further with "Officer Tickets"!
By purchasing and using "Officer Tickets," you can play the corresponding officers' story modes in their entirety. In addition, you can enjoy playing the online and split screen co-op modes, as well as free mode.

3.Free online co-op play!
"Online co-op play" can be enjoyed for free at any time.
Also, in addition to officers you have unlocked by using "Officer Tickets," you can select from 6 free officers that change daily.
Each day, 2 of the daily free officers will be replaced by new officers.

4.Enjoy the same DLC as the full version!
You can purchase currently available DLC, as well as future DLC as it becomes available.
Enhance your gameplay experience with a plentiful variety of DLC, including costumes, weapons, scenarios, previously unplayable NPC officers, and more.
The Season Passes are also available for purchase.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
So some time ago they added a Free Trial mode. Has anyone tried it since?
The game is total shit,don't even try it. No amount of patches,DLCs and fixes could fix the game. There are core problems in the game design. Avoid at all cost. Just go replay some of the older ones,like DW7 for the story or SW2 for the fun.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Hey, white devils. DW9 Empires just got announced.
https://www.gematsu.com/2020/09/dyn...or-ps5-xbox-series-ps4-xbox-one-switch-and-pc

Combining the 1 vs. 1,000 action of Dynasty Warriors with the addition of strategic elements, including unit command, Dynasty Warriors 9 Empires sets players on a quest to conquer ancient China by both sword and strategy. Powerful Siege Battles enable commanders to deploy units to capture strategic points on the map like castles. Experiencing high-stakes fights at every turn, players can now take control of these central points on the battlefield through the use of fire attacks or other stratagem, siege weapons, and, at times, simply by force as commanders execute their strategies and attack enemy troops by issuing vital commands to units throughout the skirmish.

About

Siege Battles where various Ways of Life, and wisdom and valor intersect. A “Three Kingdoms experience” depicted with high-quality visuals.

• Siege Battles, in which you capture points by various means.
  • Diplomacy, the ebb and flow of which is determined by Way of Life and interactions with officers.
  • Edit Function, now further evolved.
Siege Battles

Fight for the castle in an evolved Siege Battles where the area surrounding the castle is the battlefield.

Capture the castle gates by various means including destruction, annihilation, and infiltration, and fight with the ultimate goal of controlling the castle.

Diplomacy

Players can experience various Ways of Life, including sovereign, shogun, private, non-government, and more. Interacting with various officers and building relationships will lead to stronger nation building.

Edit Function

Mix and match your favorite parts to create an original officer edit all your own. Through various events that unfold with Dynasty Warriors officers, your personal “Three Kingdoms experience” will play out even more dramatically.

According to Dynasty Warriors series producer Akihiro Suzuki, Dynasty Warriors 9 Empires does not inherit the open-world system of its predecessor. Rather, it is a natural evolution of the Empires series that aims to use the resources of Dynasty Warriors 9 to create battles with a sense of scale.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Abandoning open world is a great move, but DW9's combat system still sucks...

It's crazy, every other Warriors game has been improving the combat, games like One Piece Warriors, Hyrule Warriors, Samurai Warriors and Sengoku Basara all have combat that's better or at least as good as Dynasty Warriors ever had... but when doing DW9, they fuck up and make it worst.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Well they were set out to renew the series with this game, they even built a new engine for that. On the other hand other games are built on the old and proven KTGL Engine. Probably that's the reason.

Poseidon00

Arcane
DW8 Empires was pretty good, I would try out 9. The thing with DW is that they take out decent features as much as they put ones in. Betraying your lord was more involved in previous Empires than in 8, and you could do it multiple times and be a real bastard. Now, it's a simple dialogue prompt. "Do you want to leave your kingdom? Yes/no" Decline.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Abandoning open world is a great move, but DW9's combat system still sucks...

It's crazy, every other Warriors game has been improving the combat, games like One Piece Warriors, Hyrule Warriors, Samurai Warriors and Sengoku Basara all have combat that's better or at least as good as Dynasty Warriors ever had... but when doing DW9, they fuck up and make it worst.
I want a remake of samurai warriors 2!

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
New trailer for Empires.

And more info.
https://www.gematsu.com/2021/06/dyn...orld-sub-element-and-nioh-2-character-creator

Here are the tidbits:
  • The 94 officers that appeared in Dynasty Warriors 9 will reappear in Dynasty Warriors 9 Empires, in addition to about 700 generic officers. There are no plans for any new officers.
  • Unlike Dynasty Warriors 9, Dynasty Warriors 9 Empires will not include open-world elements. Instead, players will have an overhead view of Mainland China, from which they can determine a base to attack in the strategy phase, and battles will unfold in large castles and their surrounding areas.
  • Once the castle siege is complete, the gates will open. From there, players will enter showdown mode and fight the remaining officers and captain general.
  • Military Affinity – There are no returning strategy elements such as determining which route to attack officers from. The game uses a rock-paper-scissors system where each officer is attributed to Infantry, Cavalry, or Archer, meaning players must advance and give instructions while considering which officers to pit against the enemy.
  • Tactical Stratagems – An expansion of the large-scale Stratagems of previous games. Prepared before battle during the War Council phase.
  • Domestic affairs also return. The game features eight open fields that allow players to explore Mainland China. You can also promote officers and deepen their relationships.
And here are some comments from producer Akihiro Suzuki:
  • “While we weren’t planning to adopt an open-world, there were many fans that desired it, so we’ve made it into a sub-element. Since this would slow down the tempo of the game, such as when looking for officers and promoting them, we’re trying to minimize the importance of this element as much as possible.”
  • “Showdown mode is almost like a bonus time. However, if you only just barely manage to open the gates, you’ll enter showdown mode with a lot of enemy power to face, so then it becomes a challenge time.”
  • “(As for why there are no additional officers in the game, that’s because) we’ve added too many officers and are trying to give more depth to each officer.”
  • “Of course, the number of officers may increase if we make another numbered entry next.”
  • “As for the editor, please wait for further information. It will use the character creation system from Nioh 2. You’ll be able to edit characters as you like.”
Dynasty Warriors 9 Empires is due out for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC via Steam in 2021 worldwide.

Tehdagah

Arcane
I played 8 Xtreme Legends recently and it was very fun at first but later I realized I lost hours and hours doing exactly the same thing.

I'm almost done with this series. 9 Empires will be the last chance.

mogwaimon

Magister
I've only casually played these over the years, but aren't they basically all the same game with the same scenario repeatedly? Enter map, genocide entire army by yourself, rinse repeat.

pretty much but it's fun and there are usually enough characters to make things interesting enough when you just wanna chill and veg out. And the games are based on semi-historical scenarios so usually the storylines aren't outright bad, at least for the mainline games. once you get into the spinoffs where Koei actually has to come up with an original story then the writing quality drops dramatically though. Musou games are one of my favorite series but I'd recommend against Dynasty Warriors 9 tbh, it's hit or miss even among die hard fans and frankly for me it was a miss from what I've played of it.

Terra

Cipher
Spirit of Sanada mixed things up sufficiently to be worth a look, really laser-focused on the Sanada clan, you get a far more detailed look at the characters as they go through the major events of the period. Easily the best entry since Samurai Warriors 2 for me, probably the smoothest combat of any iteration I've played thanks to being a newer entry & the addition of hyper attacks. SoS seemed like an experimental game in the same way Dynasty 9 was, only Sanada didn't suck, you get little exploration sequences between major conflicts where you can explore towns, speak to characters, etc. It's VERY rpg-lite, but the game does a lot more with the characters & conflict than the overview you find in the mainline entries; character deaths hold a lot more weight as you've been interacting and fighting with some of them for most of the game. Definitely worth giving a shot when it goes on sale, which is rarely, because Koei.

ADL

Prophet
Gutting the open world from DW9 Empires is a mistake. Empires-like functionality was absolutely needed for DW9 to work at all and we didn't get it... Now that they're finally releasing DW9 Empires as a standalone product, they're retrofitting it into something unrecognizable to the point where they might as well call this Dynasty Warriors 10.

Very strange.

ADL

Prophet
Not that I was expecting anything else... But they released gameplay footage and it looks like they just cut the open world into little squares without changing the geometry whatsoever. Also DW9's shitty combat system is still intact without changes.

Anyways, has anyone watched the Dynasty Warriors movie on Netflix yet?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Steam page. No English support at December's Japan/Asia launch. Western release is in February.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom