Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness - Tales of the Moon Cult expansion on the way

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
They really need to stop using BG as their acronym. It's already taken and people will get confused.

nobody outside the Kodex cares tbh
If they're making a game based of BG, they probably shouldn't use the acronym BG. BG was a good game, and BG has potential to be a good game, and although I don't think BG will surpass BG, I think BG will be fun when it comes out.
We can abbreviate Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness with BG:CoD or, even better, B====D
I actually thing the full name is funny enough that it should never be abbreviated. I want to tell everyone how much I love Black Geyser when it comes out.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
They really need to stop using BG as their acronym. It's already taken and people will get confused.

If they're making a game based of BG, they probably shouldn't use the acronym BG. BG was a good game, and BG has potential to be a good game, and although I don't think BG will surpass BG, I think BG will be fun when it comes out.

BG will eclipse BG enough that no one will talk about BG anymore

Mortmal

Arcane
Q1 2022 for full release, nothing to see, not much to play once again. Not going to do QA for free.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

We can abbreviate Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness with BG:CoD or, even better, B====D

How about B-Gay?

AliceAlcina

Learned
Don't get me wrong, but this gay jokes got old really fast. I understand they choose poor name, but they are way too shady about important stuff and that's a problem for their backers. Although, backers seem to love being gaslighted by these company, so what could I say.

copebot

Learned
I haven't looked at this title for ages, but it looks like they really cleaned up the art and animation. Sadly, "story rich" is the first bullet point.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I haven't looked at this title for ages, but it looks like they really cleaned up the art and animation. Sadly, "story rich" is the first bullet point.
They have to appeal to the people that don't want to engage with a games mechanics and don't put much research into the game. The people who like combat tend to do a little bit more research and know what's up so less advertising is needed for them.

copebot

Learned
They have to appeal to the people that don't want to engage with a games mechanics and don't put much research into the game. The people who like combat tend to do a little bit more research and know what's up so less advertising is needed for them.

They don't have an advertising budget, but I get what you mean. If you look at the 'Story Rich' tag on Steam, it's a dog's breakfast of results that even includes lots of titles with no story at all, with most of the Top Sellers being AAA cinematic titles with a story focus.

9y9lFsV.png

So, I believe that when most shoppers are following recommendations based on this tag, they are buying cinematic titles with lots of voiceovers and mostly animated cutscenes, including the two MMOs on this list. I believe that when developers of games like this (which do not have cinematic cutscenes and instead have Infinity Engine style text boxes), they think they're tapping into a goldmine of demand, but in fact they are just being confused by the demand for something else entirely. If you were doing a marketing breakdown of why games like Pillars 2 did not sell well, this kind of miscalculation helps to clarify things.

I'm sure that if you focus grouped 10 people who loved Red Dead Redemption 2 for its story aspects and put them in front of a text dialog game with non-animated voiceovers, you would get a unanimous negative response. It's trying to sell (bad interactive) novels to people who are shopping for (bad interactive) movies.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
They don't have an advertising budget, but I get what you mean. If you look at the 'Story Rich' tag on Steam, it's a dog's breakfast of results that even includes lots of titles with no story at all, with most of the Top Sellers being AAA cinematic titles with a story focus.
Steam tags were a mistake, just look at what Steam queue offers me to play based on the tags of the games I've played.

pgRNRlD.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom