Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

E3 + Summer Game Fest 2021 - June 10th to July 29th

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Metroid Dread artstyle looks better than Samus Returns, but still almost all of these sidescrollers with 3D models look like flavorless shit to me, with the Ori games being extremely rare exceptions.

EDIT: And Sakamoto is cancer for this series. I don't understand his existence. He must have compromising photos of Nintendo leadership.

Agreed, Metroid's evolution from sprite based graphics to 3D in side scrollers has been less than memorable. If anything, these 3D side scrollers have shown us what a loss it is that most big studios have abandoned games with sprite art.
Now we only have the indies who seek to emulate 8 bit art and occasionally 16 bit, but in general do not have the resources to pull something off like what we saw at the height of the 16 bit era and 32 bit era.

Why couldn't Nintendo for example hire Wayforward? They like the Metroid franchise, and they are way better at side scroller games.
Just look at Aliens Infestation on the DS. It was suppose to be a tie in to Aliens Colonial Marines on the major platforms but put that title to shame.

I honestly do not know what crucial role Sakamoto plays in the Metroid franchise. Even if he did in Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, and Metroid Zero Mission, it has been many many years ago and he was probably working with people who compensated for his shortcomings.
Metroid Other M was basically his baby, and it showed us what has become of his skills and what potential he has regarding creating new Metroid titles. He could barely have played a role in Metroid Samus Returns as it is an expanded remake.
Okay, I just said him making new Metroid games, but the only "new" title in the last twenty years was Fusion. Zero Mission is a remake (but a very good one, with the good decision of telling the story through mostly visuals, limiting the potential of awful writing). Metroid Other M was essentially a Super Metroid remake with some elements from Fusion, Sakamoto doing his "greatests hits" over again.
Other than probably being a consultant Sakamoto probably did jack shit on MSR (wouldn't be surprised if his superior told him to cut back on his attempts at story telling), this being mostly Mercury Steam's thing.

Sakamoto's boss, the next time Sakamoto insists on being on a Metroid project and threatens with revealing confidential information if he doesn't get a role, just tell him that it can be anyone's ass on that photo he tells you he will put online.

Machocruz

Arcane
Agreed, Metroid's evolution from sprite based graphics to 3D in side scrollers has been less than memorable. If anything, these 3D side scrollers have shown us what a loss it is that most big studios have abandoned games with sprite art.
Now we only have the indies who seek to emulate 8 bit art and occasionally 16 bit, but in general do not have the resources to pull something off like what we saw at the height of the 16 bit era and 32 bit era.

Why couldn't Nintendo for example hire Wayforward? They like the Metroid franchise, and they are way better at side scroller games.
Just look at Aliens Infestation on the DS. It was suppose to be a tie in to Aliens Colonial Marines on the major platforms but put that title to shame.

I honestly do not know what crucial role Sakamoto plays in the Metroid franchise. Even if he did in Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, and Metroid Zero Mission, it has been many many years ago and he was probably working with people who compensated for his shortcomings.
Metroid Other M was basically his baby, and it showed us what has become of his skills and what potential he has regarding creating new Metroid titles. He could barely have played a role in Metroid Samus Returns as it is an expanded remake.
Okay, I just said him making new Metroid games, but the only "new" title in the last twenty years was Fusion. Zero Mission is a remake (but a very good one, with the good decision of telling the story through mostly visuals, limiting the potential of awful writing). Metroid Other M was essentially a Super Metroid remake with some elements from Fusion, Sakamoto doing his "greatests hits" over again.
Other than probably being a consultant Sakamoto probably did jack shit on MSR (wouldn't be surprised if his superior told him to cut back on his attempts at story telling), this being mostly Mercury Steam's thing.

Sakamoto's boss, the next time Sakamoto insists on being on a Metroid project and threatens with revealing confidential information if he doesn't get a role, just tell him that it can be anyone's ass on that photo he tells you he will put online.
He's credited as the primary lead on Super, and I've seen no other credible info to the contrary.

However, the rot was already there in Fusion and ZM. More linear, less open, hand-holding, shitty tacked on stealth section, misguided attempts at exposition. But those games felt and looked great, so they were overall fine. While I think Other M got hyperbolic amounts of hate, it's still AIDS ridden with bad ideas. Is he also responsible for the choice of MercurySteam, a thoroughly average developer who didn't understand Castlevania and did not impress with Samus Returns? Lords of Shadow was a very nice looking game at the time, but they have maintained uninspired art direction thereafter. This seems to be the norm with 2.5D games, so maybe bland artistic vision (although I do like the new suit) and asset store-level graphics are not entirely their fault.

And movement with 3D models is almost never as snappy and immediate as sprites, another reason it's a bad choice for side-scroller, twitch games imo. Funny that Ori defies the norm here too. It's scary how talented those devs have proven to be so far, and what they could go if they don't get infected by the sins of others.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Now that more or less a week has passed. Let's look at one of the popularity stats we can access: followers on Steam.

Battlefield 2042 - 112,326
Stalker 2 - 77,225
Forza Horizon 5 - 17,282
Guardians of the Galaxy - 13,575
Tiny Tina's Wonderlands - 8,594
ELEX II - 3,076

I think Elex 2 (and Wonderlands to some extent) could be a bit higher if it showed actual gameplay. Also to be fair it was technically not part of E3 or Summer thing.

Murk

Arcane
Not sure if already known, but I happened to haphazardly click on new blood's trailer for their upcoming 2021 shit and saw this flash (no name mentioned):

1d233eddf2c71886841f24f4495f5070.png

A horse of course

Aren't there like two people working on SWTOR. It's in the Age of Reckoning stage of dying.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
List of all games shown:

Descend into the darkness of Vampire: The Masquerade – Swansong

Galeb, one of the three playable characters in Vampire: The Masquerade – Swansong (Big Bad Wolf), is a 300-year-old vampire. Just and unsentimental, Galeb plays a central role in the events that are impacting the Camarilla, the secret society that most vampires belong to. Watch the video.

Return to Middle-earth with The Lord of the Rings™: Gollum™

Daedalic Entertainment has unveiled a new developer’s interview for The Lord of the Rings: Gollum during which Producer Harald Riegler introduces characters and environments Gollum encounters on his journey. In this stealth-action adventure, players take on the role of the iconic character to win back his Precious lost ring. Torn between two personalities, it is up to you to decide whether the darker side of Gollum takes over or if there is a spark of reason left in what once was Sméagol… Watch the video.

Steelrising, an alternate version of the French Revolution

Introduced by Jehanne Rousseau, Founder and Creative Director of the development studio Spiders, Steelrising gave us a first look at its combat gameplay, which is a core part of the experience. In this action-adventure game set in an alternate 18th-century Paris, the combat will be challenging and any error in judgement could be fatal. Watch the video.

Blood Bowl 3: are you ready to score touchdowns?

Funnier, bloodier and more spectacular than ever, Blood Bowl 3 introduced its Campaign mode through an interview with Yoann Drulhe, Lead Cinematic Artist at Cyanide. Blood Bowl 3 will be released on PC and consoles in February 2022. Watch the video.

RoboCop: Rogue City - NACON's adaptation of an iconic franchise

You play as Alex Murphy aka RoboCop™ – part man, part machine, all cop – in this first-person shooter. Development studio Teyon is creating an original story in the franchise's universe, in which your mission will be to protect the city of Detroit. Watch the video.

Roguebook: new free content coming soon after a successful release

Following a highly successful launch on 17 June, new content is already on the horizon for Roguebook. The first free update will soon be available for the roguelike deckbuilder developed by Abrakam and co-designed by Richard Garfield, creator of Magic: The Gathering™. Watch the video.

Ad Infinitum: can you survive the unexpected horrors of the war?

NACON is working with the German studio Hekate, the developers behind Ad Infinitum, a new story-driven horror game franchise. Descend into the nightmares of a First World War soldier in this first trailer, which conveys the game's unique atmosphere. Watch the video.

Rogue Lords: the Devil is coming in September

More details about Rogue Lords (Cyanide, Leikir Studio), the diabolical roguelike where cheating is part of the game, were revealed in a new gameplay trailer, along with its PC release date: 30 September. Watch the video.

The creators of Zeno Clash return with Clash: Artifacts of Chaos

Introducing Clash: Artifacts of Chaos, a game announced at NACON Connect and developed by ACE Team, a talented Chilean studio. Explore the unique world of Zenozoik and defeat the best warriors while respecting the strange rules of the Ritual. Watch the video.

Professional skateboarder Daewon Song praises the excellence of Session.

Awarded Skater of the Year in 2006 by Thrasher Magazine and inducted into the Skateboarding Hall of Fame in 2017, it was an honour to watch Daewon Song introduce Session., the skateboarding game from crea-ature Studios Inc. that sets a new standard for the genre. It was also a chance to announce a new update, available in early access today on Steam, Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One. Watch the video.

New teaser for Rugby 22

NACON and Eko Software showed the first trailer for Rugby 22, which is planned for release in January 2022. Watch the video.

The Bloody Beetroots – Original music for the RiMS Racing soundtrack

To present RiMS Racing from RaceWard development studio, the microphone was handed over to Sir Bob Cornelius Rifo from the group The Bloody Beetroots, who announced his contribution to the game's original soundtrack and the opening of preorders on consoles and PC. Watch the video.

WRC 10 - 50 years of legendary rallies with Sébastien Loeb

Nine-time world WRC champion Sébastien Loeb was the prestigious ambassador for WRC 10 (KT Racing) during the conference. NACON was delighted to welcome him as a special guest to discuss the new edition, which is celebrating 50 years of the FIA World Rally Championship. Watch the video.

Test Drive Unlimited Solar Crown will release 22 September, 2022

There was a gripping new cinematic trailer for Test Drive Unlimited Solar Crown, which revealed the setting that the many fans of the iconic franchise will be able to explore: Hong Kong. An interview with Amaury Beyris and Alain Jarniou, Game Director and Creative Director at KT Racing respectively, revealed more details about some of the game's features. Watch the video.

NACON revisits the "life simulator" genre with the LIFE range

The LIFE range of games offers new experiences for simulation fans. Watch the video.
  • Chef Life: A Restaurant Simulator (Cyanide) puts you at the head of a restaurant, which you need to manage from top to bottom, from supplying the kitchen to serving tables.
  • Hotel Life: A Resort Simulator (RingZero) is a hotel simulator that takes you behind the scenes of an idyllic holiday destination.
  • In Train Life: A Railway Simulator (Simteract), you drive trains, including iconic ones, and for the first time in a simulator in this genre, you also manage the development of your company. Train Life: A Railway Simulator will be available in early access on 15 July.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I have some really weird optimism that the Gollum game turns out unique and wonderfull and becomes an underselling cult classic.
I have seen normies post "Hurr durr who wants to play as Gollum" one too many times.

Derringer

Prophet
I have some really weird optimism that the Gollum game turns out unique and wonderfull and becomes an underselling cult classic.
I have seen normies post "Hurr durr who wants to play as Gollum" one too many times.
It's because the idea sounds like a cliched retarded cash-in with a karma gimmick, Gollum falls into Mount Doom after biting off Frodo's finger at the end of the 'story'.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Only interesting thing was Dead Space, but not even that was that interesting since it looks like it will be a remake... in Frostbyte engine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom