Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Have you tested how that works? Do I need to wear the belt while using the hypo for a chance of double healing? Or do I just wear the belt when crafting and it's a chance I will make a better hypo that is distinct from the rest and has the double heal in the description?
You need to wear the belt while you're crafting but after they're made you can take it off. If you're wearing it you craft enriched health hypos (or enriched advanced/super health hypos) instead of normal ones. Just like normal, except they have a 5% chance to critically heal and a slightly higher price. And a different icon.
Doesn't really seem too useful since 5% isn't anywhere near reliable and there's no way to increase the chance. Feels fancy though.

Oh yeah, turns out I lied earlier because I can't read. The belts don't give you damage resistance, they give you damage reduction, like conditioning or food or other things like that. So that's not as good because you can't stack them with other armour to hit 100% resistance. I apologise for being stupid if I got anyone's hopes up.

Tygrende

Arbiter
Doesn't really seem too useful since 5% isn't anywhere near reliable and there's no way to increase the chance.
Yeah 5% isn't too much, but on the other hand even occasional super health hypo healing for 300 (or 600 on normal and below) further boosted by metabolism/doctor/fried siphoner tongue/etc. is every tin can's dream.

So that's not as good because you can't stack them with other armour to hit 100% resistance.
It's not necessarily worse, reduction can also be stacked to 100%. It's particularly great for bio because canned mushrooms + irongut is already 90% bio reduction, so if the belt is at least 10% that's total immunity.

It's not necessarily worse, reduction can also be stacked to 100%. It's particularly great for bio because canned mushrooms + irongut is already 90% bio reduction, so if the belt is at least 10% that's total immunity.
Oh, that is cool. And yeah, it is 10%. Chemistry belt is 5% heat and 10% acid, electronics belt is 15% energy. I probably should have just said that in the first place.
Funny how I seem to be the first person here to find the belts but I still need everyone else to point out how they're good. I discover things but I don't actually think about them. Well, least I'm learning something.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
I see in which direction Styg and co are moving and I don't think it's bad, but it could be better as well. Going roguelike is a good idea since Underrail is already replayable as fuck and randomized content can make new playthroughs even more enjoyable. But when randomized content is so few it becomes annoying that a bad roll deprived you of it. The simple solution is this: make two modes. One is regular, where you will have all content regardless - everything will spawn. The second mode would be a roguelike one where as much shit as possible (even the location of the oddities, lol) is randomized. Playing this on DOM would be super fun, I reckon.

Shouldn't be too hard to implement - quest items would be marked as "non-randomizable" and the rest shuffled around inside spawn zones at random according to the script

Knifegaf

Novice
I see in which direction Styg and co are moving and I don't think it's bad, but it could be better as well. Going roguelike is a good idea since Underrail is already replayable as fuck and randomized content can make new playthroughs even more enjoyable. But when randomized content is so few it becomes annoying that a bad roll deprived you of it. The simple solution is this: make two modes. One is regular, where you will have all content regardless - everything will spawn. The second mode would be a roguelike one where as much shit as possible (even the location of the oddities, lol) is randomized. Playing this on DOM would be super fun, I reckon.

Shouldn't be too hard to implement - quest items would be marked as "non-randomizable" and the rest shuffled around inside spawn zones at random according to the script
His opinions on the experience systems leads me to believe he won’t separate the game the way you are proposing.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
His opinions on the experience systems leads me to believe he won’t separate the game the way you are proposing.
Maybe we can convince him? :lol:

I mean, it is obvious. Styg wanted to go full in with oddities but some people prefer Classic and he was forced to go on compromise.

Same with roguelike aspect: I guess Styg wants more of it, but a lot of people will complain and disagree. He still can go all in but a fallback mode is needed for conservative public

Tygrende

Arbiter
Cold wind theorycrafting commencing.

The origin of the cold seems to be that you get blasted with cold wind, not from above but from the side, originating from the black void at the sides of the top of the tower. This is where the cold is most intense.
Thematically it seems to be inspired by the spider lair in Expedition, where you also hear a howling wind coming from somewhere, but the source of this cold wind could pretty much be anything, including some underground artifact or industrial implement.

If it really is coming from above ground, then it looks like you're basically already exposed to the surface at that point. You're blasted with cold wind from the side, and you take cover from it by getting behind the tower. It's not coming from above you.

Anyway, I wouldn't write off the idea that it's just an industrial thing, there are mysterious pipes everywhere, including pipes that lead into the black void where the wind comes from. And the weird consoles.

dpTiMZc.jpg
You don't necessarily have to be very close or even already at the frozen surface for extremaly cold winds to be a thing way below. If the sun went out, the temperature at Earth's surface could get as low as -270 Celsius eventually, maybe even closer to absolute zero. So even considerably higher temperatures at considerable depth would still be extremaly cold for humans. -60 is a lot warmer than -270, but that's still anything but "warm" for us, for example. As for the wind, it's bound to be a thing in large open spaces. Probably just a huge cavern.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Do you guys play dominating on oddity or just use classic XP to lvl as fast as possible to deal with the bullshit?

edir: Also what got patched today?

CHEMS

Scholar
Do you guys play dominating on oddity or just use classic XP to lvl as fast as possible to deal with the bullshit?

I like classic better for dominating. It's an unfair difficulty already, you might need those extra levels.

Trashos

Arcane
Biological organisms are heavily dependent on water, and therefore they develop between roughly 0 degrees Celsius (freezing point of water) and 100 degrees Celsius (boiling point of water). Naturally, you can expand those limits a little bit with clothing, fur, heating systems, air conditioning etc.

Bonus trivia of the day: Mars has ice that used to be water, which is why a lot of people expect that we may find fossils of living organisms somewhere in the ice.
What are we talking about again?!...

Knifegaf

Novice

edir: Also what got patched today?
Oddity everytime. Classic’s pacing on dominating is pretty bad in my eyes. Can hit the veteran level feats early while side stepping a lot of the content. Plus classic pushes the player to kill everyone and everything. That gets tedious to me which is funny since a common criticism of oddity is how tedious dumpster diving is and it’s really not bad once you memorize the oddities. I also made oddity maps that have made it pretty easy to grab what I need. I will say drop rates for some of the animal oddities can be atrocious. I’ve cleared burrower, pig, and frog sections and walked away with zero oddities and that’s far from rare.

Last edited:

ciox

Liturgist
Cold wind theorycrafting commencing.

The origin of the cold seems to be that you get blasted with cold wind, not from above but from the side, originating from the black void at the sides of the top of the tower. This is where the cold is most intense.
Thematically it seems to be inspired by the spider lair in Expedition, where you also hear a howling wind coming from somewhere, but the source of this cold wind could pretty much be anything, including some underground artifact or industrial implement.

If it really is coming from above ground, then it looks like you're basically already exposed to the surface at that point. You're blasted with cold wind from the side, and you take cover from it by getting behind the tower. It's not coming from above you.

Anyway, I wouldn't write off the idea that it's just an industrial thing, there are mysterious pipes everywhere, including pipes that lead into the black void where the wind comes from. And the weird consoles.

dpTiMZc.jpg
You don't necessarily have to be very close or even already at the frozen surface for extremaly cold winds to be a thing way below. If the sun went out, the temperature at Earth's surface could get as low as -270 Celsius eventually, maybe even closer to absolute zero. So even considerably higher temperatures at considerable depth would still be extremaly cold for humans. -60 is a lot warmer than -270, but that's still anything but "warm" for us, for example. As for the wind, it's bound to be a thing in large open spaces. Probably just a huge cavern.

Well that's true, once you're at less than a kilometer away from the surface the heating effect of the Earth's core is pretty weak.
But to me it felt like you were already very close to the surface, since the wind is so deadly compared to the ambient cold, there's a pretty stark contrast between feeling dandy at a small campfire and suddenly dropping dead when you go through a doorway.
It feels like you're opening the door to an arctic base and trying to weather the cold.
Ah well, hopefully someone sees the Dominating fragment soon, I'm sure that will shed some light.

jackofshadows

Magister
Oddity most of the times. Classic doesn't provide much faster leveling by the way now, aside from dom-only enemies like industrial robots, early plasma turrets, burrower warriors etc. It just allows to skip some areas and still hit the cap. The only real annoyance with oddity on the other hand is mob drops as was pointed out many times but otherwise it's a great system.
Also what got patched today?
Fixes.

ciox

Liturgist

I think they could find quite a few arguments against this one, like there being too many fragments for the available doorways they can be connected to, or that all the fragments being available gives you too much in the way of XP and items.
If those aren't an issue then this mode could be nice, plenty of people complain that the game is too large to be replayed often, that would help them.

Another nice idea is if selecting these "big" fragments was part of the custom difficulty tab that people have been asking for a while now, where you'd select stuff like the difficulty of encounters, merchant price modifiers, etc, literally just one or two more fields.
Well, good luck with shilling either of these.

CHEMS

Scholar
I'll shill the custom difficulty till the end. Styg better put it in the game in the last update, since he won't give us mod support.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just don't understand why Styg doesn't have all the encounters in the game at once? Why make it playthrough dependent? More content is always a good thing when it's optional and the game is as good as Underrail. Why the fuck would I want less content when it's my choice on whether or not I choose to access it? What's important is how the content is introduced. If it's like Baldur's Gate 2, where within two hours your entire questbook is full of random shit you have no idea got in there and don't give a fuck about, yeah it's a problem. But Underrail doesn't have that issue and handles such things very well, so no need to even bring it up.

I love the dominating only stuff though, very cool. Just make it so all the encounters are available. It'll make the game world seem way more alive imo.

welly321

Scholar
I just don't understand why Styg doesn't have all the encounters in the game at once? Why make it playthrough dependent? More content is always a good thing when it's optional and the game is as good as Underrail. Why the fuck would I want less content when it's my choice on whether or not I choose to access it? What's important is how the content is introduced. If it's like Baldur's Gate 2, where within two hours your entire questbook is full of random shit you have no idea got in there and don't give a fuck about, yeah it's a problem. But Underrail doesn't have that issue and handles such things very well, so no need to even bring it up.

I love the dominating only stuff though, very cool. Just make it so all the encounters are available. It'll make the game world seem way more alive imo.
Honestly with the expansion, I do feel like Underrail suffers a bit from content bloat.

Knifegaf

Novice

Honestly with the expansion, I do feel like Underrail suffers a bit from content bloat.
It’s a bit bloated but like Chon said if it’s optional then it’s not really a problem. You don’t HAVE to do it and with how much side content all the random stuff adds it’s not like you fall behind on levels if you don’t do some of it. Plus oddity kinda fixes this issue anyway since at best you get the oddities slightly earlier than you would have.

Jezal_k23

Oh you guys. More content is better. I love that there is an absurd amount of content. What you call bloat, I love Underrail for it. Bring it on, and keep doing it I say.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Oddity most of the times. Classic doesn't provide much faster leveling by the way now, aside from dom-only enemies like industrial robots, early plasma turrets, burrower warriors etc. It just allows to skip some areas and still hit the cap. The only real annoyance with oddity on the other hand is mob drops as was pointed out many times but otherwise it's a great system.

It does, but only past Depot A. My SMG Versatility build sucked prior to level 15 and I was able to hit it even before starting Foundry quests.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
the oddity page looked better complete with the uncollected oddities visible as black silhouettes

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom