Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity is the worst RPG i've ever played

lossantos

Educated
Believe it or not, I signed up just to shout this out.

1- It's a mix of turn-based and real time combat. Sounds cool doesn't it? But all you do is keep pressing pause and try to play the game manually turn-based. Combat should be turn based by default, or at least we should be able to choose between turn-based and realtime in the settings (like Arcanum).

2- You need to pause every 30 seconds in order to understand what's going on in Combat, whether the tactic you apply works or not, which character's skill is more effective, etc. Because animations are at the level of mobile games even in Ultra graphic settings.

3- Lore, story and dialogues are cheesy, boring and uninteresting. From the very first minute, Calisca's cliché of "I am a character who has seen a lot, so I am cold-blooded" made me cringe already. Almost all the dialogues and side-quests are filled with these clichés. It's 2015 (the year the game came out) and we're still dealing with 90's hollywood action clichés.
Oh boy oh boy, I'm going to get lynched on my first post just for saying this, but Obdisian doesn't know how to write quality lore, captivating story and interesting dialogues (including New Vegas).

4- No matter what type of character you created, you always have to pay attention to combat-based stats, because you can't finish the game just by talking or hiding like oldschool RPGs. It's been almost 20 years and there hasn't been an RPG that you can finish it through talking like Fallout or Arcanum (Even in Dos 2 this is mostly not possible.). Why is that? Combat effects sells in trailers and E3 commercials, that's why.

5- Here's another "unpopular" opinion of mine: party-based RPGs sucks. Characters of different sizes and races following each other like a shadow looks very ridiculous from an isometric perspective, especially in towns. It kills the RPG soul and often ignores the character you spent hours creating when starting the game, because after a few hours you have to deal with companions more than your own character. The "official" characters created by the game overshadow the custom character you created.

That's all I have to say, but from those who loved the game, I would like to hear what is unique about this game.

welly321

Scholar
I didn't mind the combat in Pillars that much. There is a lot of depth and strategy to it, although I admit it's hard to keep track of what's going on. I did find the story in Pillars very captivating. I loved the backstory of Eothas and the God-killer bomb and how the companions tied into it like with Eder and Durance. In fact, All the companions were really well done! The only one I didn't like was Aloth.

Did you try White March? The story and gameplay in the expansion is of higher quality than the base game.

Tiger

Learned
Fucking yawn. Let's be honest, It's an easy target on here. Try harder. It's fine, it isn't great, nor is it awful. There are far worse out there. If this is the worst you've played, you haven't played many.

lossantos

Educated
Believe it or not, I signed up just to shout this out.
Maybe you'd be willing to write a complete review, we've got a shortage of those regarding that particular game? Just pm Infinitron if you're interested.

I can't thank you enough for giving me the chance to present a bunch of virgins of my amazing ideas.

Fucking yawn. Let's be honest, It's an easy target on here. Try harder. It's fine, it isn't great, nor is it awful. There are far worse out there. If this is the worst you've played, you haven't played many.

You're right, I should open another "Lionheart Legacy of Crusader sucks" thread.

ferratilis

Magister
So you're saying you hate combat-heavy, stat-based, lore-rich, RTwP cRPGs. Fuck it, let's just say you hate RPGs in general. And especially if they're made by Obsidian. You came to the right place new guy, you're gonna fit right in, with all the other turn-based loving, whiny, reptilian undesirables around here.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
This is one of the finest trolls I've seen.
Oh boy oh boy, I'm going to get lynched on my first post just for saying this
It's a mix of turn-based and real time combat
No matter what type of character you created, you always have to pay attention to combat-based stats, because you can't finish the game just by talking or hiding like oldschool RPGs.
the character you spent hours creating when starting the game

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
, "because you can't finish the game just by talking or hiding like oldschool RPGs."

You can't do that in most old school rpgs. FO is the exception not the rule. Even then, violence can't be wholly avoided unless you flee like a little pussy from random encounter, and cheesy your way through with pre knowledge.

Trolling aside, PE isn't great, but 'worst rpg ever'? LMAO

Beans00

Augur
I've never played POE since it doesn't look particularly interesting. I'll probably get to it eventually after I knock out some other games I'd rather play.

That being said I have a really hard time imagining it as the 'worst ever'. You mentioned lionheart, that game was ungodly terrible.

Kliwer

Savant
It's 2015 (the year the game came out) and we're still dealing with 90's hollywood action clichés.

It would be good if that were the case. The 90s Hollywood cliches are perfect, fun, interesting and never boring. The problem is that PoE tries to move away from all clichés. The game is at its best when it's not trying to think of anything new. For example, the entire storyline of the wizards of Crägholdt is one of the game's best points - and it's practically a reminiscence of the classic D&D adventures. The game is crap wherever it tries to be original. And it tries too often.

Falksi

Arcane
I'm not a big fan of PoE, played it 3/4's of the way through and it started crumbling around me with game-breaking bugs. Tried to replay it since and there's absolutely fuck all replay value to it, not to mention Cipher is the only class I could get into too.

But "worst RPG" you've ever played? You can't have played many RPGs. Even though PoE wasn't spectacular, I still had a 6/10 experience with it for that 3/4 playthrough, and would probably rate it a 5/10 overall.

Dragon Age 2, Final Fantasy 13, Fallout 4.......it doesn't come close to being as bad as any of those abominations, and there's worse RPGs out there after those too.

Suicidal

Arcane
I've played much worse. How about Heart of Eternity / Сердце вечности, undisputed pinnacle of Ukrainian game development?

Yeah, back in the day I played so many obscure slavic shovelware RPGs (the kind you buy for a few dolla at the marketplace) that I think anyone who claims PoE is "the worst RPG ever" has either not played many games or is an edgy retard desperately trying to fit in.

Readher

Savant
Worst RPG ever is definitely a hyperbole, though I admit, I can hardly think of a more BORING game from story/writing perspective. I certainly played much shittier RPGs that fell apart due to bad combat and mechanics, but PoE is definitely very high up when it comes to games that simply bored me to death with its story and dialogues.

EDIT: Always relevant copypasta

https://arch-img.b4k.co/v/1521386369276.jpg
1521386369276.jpg
Each attempt Obsidian makes to create their own universe rather than simply deconstruct a setting made by others, has been more disastrous than the last. Aside from the outdated gameplay and lifeless cities, Pillars of Eternity's only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of combat mechanics, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Sawyer vetoed the idea of making anything at all innovative or original; he made sure the game would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable nostalgia pandering to ageing Baldur's Gate fans. Pillars of Eternity might be anti-casual(or not), but it’s certainly the anti-Divinity series in its refusal of spontaneity, fun and excitement.

>a-at least the writing was good though

"No!"

The writing is dreadful; the narrative was terrible. As I played, I noticed that every time I engaged in dialogue with an NPC the game presented me with a Wiki-page style infodump instead of anything resembling actual human conversation.

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time this was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Sawyer's mind is so governed by obsession with pointless minutiae of the lore that he has no other style of writing.

Later I read a lavish, loving review of Pillars of Eternity by the same David Gaider. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kiddies are playing Obsidian games at 17 or 18, then when they get older they will go on to enjoy Dragon Age II." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you play "Pillars of Eternity" you are, in fact, trained to shill for Bioware.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Maybe work more on getting your wife to the gym and less on the hyperbolic game critiques there Pierce.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom