Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
the oddity page looked better complete with the uncollected oddities visible as black silhouettes

Yeah what purpose was served by changing this?

Knifegaf

Novice
the oddity page looked better complete with the uncollected oddities visible as black silhouettes

It’s another change that I think was meaningless. This patch seems to have a few of them. Not game changing terrible but I don’t see the point. Another case of “if it ain’t broke then don’t fix it.”

Ghulgothas

Arcane
New oddity page? Could someone post a screenshot?
Capture111.png

CHEMS

Scholar
The change on oddities' page really triggered my completionist autism

Zeem

Learned
I don't mind dungeons and unique content that you might not get on every playthrough, but I really dislike that it's random. Having some random mini-dungeons with different loot or a random early game quest is fine, but locking a major mid-end game piece of content or permanent buffs behind a door that may or may not spawn is terrible.
I think a much better and much more logical solution would be to remember this is an RPG and take advantage of its whole "choice and consequence" thing. Instead of generating a random dungeon when you start the game (and having to re-roll if you don't get what you want) you should be given a choice what you can visit. Maybe tie these dungeons to Core City oligarch choice and present them as side quests. Or just have a single-use master key that you could use on one of several optional locations.

It’s another change that I think was meaningless. This patch seems to have a few of them. Not game changing terrible but I don’t see the point. Another case of “if it ain’t broke then don’t fix it.”
I think it might have to do with some of the new oddities possibly being impossible to obtain in any given run. Although I also think that the old oddity page was much cooler and definitely much more intriguing.

Tygrende

Arbiter
The black outlines being gone is a crime against humanity. Not only did it look cooler, there was this sense of wonder for new players, trying to figure out what the silhouettes may be and looking forward to finding out. It also made keeping track of what was already found a lot easier on subsequent playthroughs.

The only argument that can be made in favor of the change is that it somewhat spoils what other oddities are and how many are left, but it's a very weak argument. Hate the change.

I don't mind dungeons and unique content that you might not get on every playthrough, but I really dislike that it's random. Having some random mini-dungeons with different loot or a random early game quest is fine, but locking a major mid-end game piece of content or permanent buffs behind a door that may or may not spawn is terrible.
I don't mind the dominating encounters being random since you're guaranteed to get one and you can check which it is at the very start of the game, so rerolling if you really want a specific one is easy. Booth being random is bullshit though. Especially since they're being pointlessly cryptic about the clue that tells you if he spawned or not.

Zeem

Learned
I don't mind the dominating encounters being random since you're guaranteed to get one and you can check which it is at the very start of the game, so rerolling if you really want a specific one is easy. Booth being random is bullshit though. Especially since they're being pointlessly cryptic about the clue that tells you if he spawned or not.
Rerolling is just pointless busywork. Why not cut out the middleman and just leave the encounters to player choice?

Parabalus

Arcane
Do you guys play dominating on oddity or just use classic XP to lvl as fast as possible to deal with the bullshit?

I like classic better for dominating. It's an unfair difficulty already, you might need those extra levels.

You can also finish the run earlier and can skip garbage areas.

If leveling too fast just don't click the '+'.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
is that icy tower random? Roll dominating character that can survive it only to learn you cant access it?

Tygrende

Arbiter
is that icy tower random? Roll dominating character that can survive it only to learn you cant access it?
I'm pretty sure the tower is guranteed, it's just the top floor that is DOM only and mutually exclusive with the other DOM only encounter.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
styg already bloated oddity and allowed to reach max lvl before DC, or close.
As such limiting number of encounters sounds silly, especially with some of them not even giving oddity xp

Tygrende

Arbiter
As such limiting number of encounters sounds silly, especially with some of them not even giving oddity xp
At this point I think it's very barely possible to hit 30 right before the elevator fight if you do absolutely everything or get very close. It's not bloted by any means.

The DOM only segments being exclusive makes some sense because both offer pretty strong rewards (suicide belt and special feat for the final floor of utility tower).

I also suspect tattoo guy is mutually exclusive with the charm selling lady, which would imply both offer small bonuses.

Zeem

Learned
At this point I think it's very barely possible to hit 30 right before the elevator fight if you do absolutely everything or get very close. It's not bloted by any means.

The DOM only segments being exclusive makes some sense because both offer pretty strong rewards (suicide belt and special feat for the final floor of utility tower).

I also suspect tattoo guy is mutually exclusive with the charm selling lady, which would imply both offer small bonuses.
I has been possible for a while. I did it on my previous run that I did between Waterways and Styx updates. There were still a couple XP I could have gotten, but even that way I got to 30 just before following Eidein to the elevator.

Parabalus

Arcane
Did Stygian ever explain why they went down the LOLRANDOM route?

Last edited:

Knifegaf

Novice
The Stygian ever explain why they went down the LOLRANDOM route?
I’ve heard it started happening when Yogimanz joined the team and it was for replayability but I could be wrong. I’m a relatively new player when it comes to this games life span. I think Zeem presents a pretty good option. We already have several instances where we choose a path that blocks off the others, why not just continue to do that?

Sykar

Arcane

I have yet to notice any bonus while using the PSI beetle leg charm. No cost reduction, no extra damage, no extra skill, no extra crit chance or damge according to the offensive sheet. No effect on PSI points, reserves or regeneration either.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
now's the time to flesh out the export/import function into a fully fledged new game+ feature, start new games from clearfiles, choose what to carry over on startup

then add super secret ending after having beat every playthrough exclusive DOM boss encounter, mutant clear, Dude romance maxed wtih a single character, and bring the broken thermostat

super super secret ending for people who have all the tattoos - 1 tattoo per playthrough, Booth's appearance is random of course

Tygrende

Arbiter

I have yet to notice any bonus while using the PSI beetle leg charm. No cost reduction, no extra damage, no extra skill, no extra crit chance or damge according to the offensive sheet. No effect on PSI points, reserves or regeneration either.
It could be anything that's not on the sheet, like 10% more damage vs. beetles, or chance for some bonus to apply. If we are being honest, tattoos are mostly so minor we probably wouldn't notice them if we didn't know about the bonuses and didn't care to check. That's what makes me think it might be like that with charms. Time will tell.

Sykar

Arcane

It could be anything that's not on the sheet, like 10% more damage vs. beetles, or chance for some bonus to apply. If we are being honest, tattoos are mostly so minor we probably wouldn't notice them if we didn't know about the bonuses and didn't care to check. That's what makes me think it might be like that with charms. Time will tell.

The bonuses you got from tatoos were mostly visible on the stat sheet like the skill bonus tattos or Shadowlith PSI regen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom