Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The problem with a Diablo game with character customizacion is the fact that you can probably (i'm 100% sure) make something so haram as a black barbarian, a white witch doctor, an asian warrior from Lut Gholein, etc. People and cultures define already in lore that gave the game exotism, variety (you know, the positive things that diversity bring to the table) and a reason to keep exploring advacing the story.

I can understand classed not to be gender locked anymore. I can't understand why you want to make a fat, pygmy paladin on a diablo game. There are a lot of games that give you that option already.

I sort of get this, but who plays Diablo games for the lore? Show me someone who claims that and I'll show you someone who's full of it.

Regardless, if you're somehow legitimately concerned about that breaking your immersion in a click to make everything explode ARPG, there's a neat feature. You don't have to put it in your game! That's right. The new technology that allows you to choose whether to have a character look like a certain thing also means that you don't have to put that thing in the game. Just like people make Dark Souls characters that look like they've melted and with weird skin and hair colours and yet somehow none of that appears in the game unless the player puts it there!*

* You're aware that menu selections can be changed, right? Usually either with left and right selections or a drop down. Just fyi.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
sort of get this, but who plays Diablo games for the lore?

Read my signature, bitch.

Regardless, if you're somehow legitimately concerned about that breaking your immersion in a click to make everything explode ARPG, there's a neat feature. You don't have to put it in your game! That's right. The new technology that allows you to choose whether to have a character look like a certain thing also means that you don't have to put that thing in the game.

Riight. Because the devs themselves won't put an east asian in Lut Gholein, or a black Barbarian, etc, etc in the game. Evar.

Unwanted

Abracadabra

Unwanted
I can understand classed not to be gender locked anymore. I can't understand why you want to make a fat, pygmy paladin on a diablo game. There are a lot of games that give you that option already.
The real question is why you can't play as a demon paladin. The most diverse group of people are demons after all. Why can't my paladin look like this? I thought Blizzard was supposed to be enlightened and woke.

OZVqb6H.gif

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
The real question is why you can't play as a demon paladin. The most diverse group of people are demons after all. Why can't my paladin look like this? I thought Blizzard was supposed to be enlightened and woke.

OZVqb6H.gif

Blizzard doesn't do that art style anymore, so chances are your demon paladin would look more like this.

EZ6ry-3WoAEhHWx.jpg

Unwanted

Abracadabra

Unwanted

OZVqb6H.gif

Blizzard doesn't do that art style anymore, so chances are your demon paladin would look more like this.

EZ6ry-3WoAEhHWx.jpg
Is that Bobby Kotick? Wouldn't it be very fitting to play as him in his latest game? He's not very red or diverse though and that's highly problematic.

Regardless, if you're somehow legitimately concerned about that breaking your immersion in a click to make everything explode ARPG, there's a neat feature. You don't have to put it in your game! That's right. The new technology that allows you to choose whether to have a character look like a certain thing also means that you don't have to put that thing in the game. Just like people make Dark Souls characters that look like they've melted and with weird skin and hair colours and yet somehow none of that appears in the game unless the player puts it there!*

* You're aware that menu selections can be changed, right? Usually either with left and right selections or a drop down. Just fyi.

BlizzCon attendees were able to get their hands on the game, and our first impression was that it's a game whose stark and desolate look is in contrast with its always-online elements, which guarantee that other players will be running past as you explore it: "There's no queuing or anything like that, but seeing players who are clearly on the same quest, but aren't a permanent part of my world, reminds me that this isn't just my adventure."

:retarded:

The only good succubus design in Diablo history:
DiabloSuccubus.gif
The slut strut.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
BlizzCon attendees were able to get their hands on the game, and our first impression was that it's a game whose stark and desolate look is in contrast with its always-online elements, which guarantee that other players will be running past as you explore it: "There's no queuing or anything like that, but seeing players who are clearly on the same quest, but aren't a permanent part of my world, reminds me that this isn't just my adventure."

To be fair, I forgot about that. Always online games as a service type stuff is cancer outside of MMOs.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Wrath of the Righteous Tiefling-exclusive Bloodrager archetype Reformed Fiend is pretty much Demon Paladin.

REformedFiend.jpg

PapaPetro

(If it doesn't load, right click and copy image address dumb dumbs)

Last edited by a moderator:

MartinK

Learned

OZVqb6H.gif

Why not? If I remember the lore right, there is very little difference between demons and angels in terms of morality as both sides never advanced past "me wants shiny stone" level of cultural development.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Eh, I just hope they don't make the same mistake as Diablo III did and forgo the armored knight archetype until the first expansion.

These Hair Shaders are complete shit.. No rimming around the scalp.. you can see patches of bald head mesh beneath it.. Same with the eyebrows.. Total garbo.

Considering the camera will not be up close to the character like that for most of the game, I don't see it as a concern. Keep the detail where it matters and leave it where it doesn't. I'm not interested in having a garbage FPS because someone decided that every visible spherical object, no matter how far way from the camera, needs 5 million polygons.

There's so many ways to solve this and all of them are untaxing / simple.
This shit looks worse than Diablo 2 Resurrected.

They either build out their Shader to apply some kind of AO / Rimming effecting around the hairline / scalp, introducing some better self-shading for lighter hairs. (Many Hair Shaders do this in modern games - One example is Assassin's Creed Valhalla I think, although I haven't checked their assets indepth)

Or they throw on a few more poly's to cap the scalp and feed it a similar coloured texturemap to hide the scalp poking through the hair. (For example, Witcher 3 would just bake the scalp texture map onto the head mesh but for a character creator you'd probably want this decoupled)

Both options are like.. negligible.. It's low hanging fruit to not look uncanny valley.

I get that blizzard is just a small indie dev .. so they can't compete with the big players like.. Unreal.. Ubisoft or.. ya know.. any random fuck who spent 5 seconds on this problem in Unity.. I just hope they fix it.

These Hair Shaders are complete shit.. No rimming around the scalp.. you can see patches of bald head mesh beneath it.. Same with the eyebrows.. Total garbo.

Yeah and you will never see it because you will be looking at it from above just like in any oher arpg.

(' )_( ,) It's okay if it's shit because your zoomed out.

Pretty sure you zoom in pretty close on the character / inventory screens. Why are you shilling for Blizzard?

Last edited:

MartinK

Learned
It would neat if the game used the same soft class system as the first one, which allowed each class to dabble in everything outside its speciality.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Well, time to see what consequences this will have.
https://www.pcgamer.com/diablo-4-di...ner-and-wow-designer-all-fired-from-blizzard/

Diablo 4 director, lead level designer, and WoW designer depart Blizzard
By Jonathan Bolding about 6 hours ago

The sudden departures come during a major lawsuit over Activision Blizzard's company culture.

T38wcQN2UiQdSGGhJ5sTvX-320-80.jpg

Diablo 4 game director Louis Barriga, lead level designer Jesse McCree, and World of Warcraft designer Jonathan LeCraft are all out at Blizzard Entertainment. The news was first reported by Kotaku and then confirmed by Activision Blizzard.

"We can confirm Luis Barriga, Jesse McCree, and Jonathan LeCraft are no longer with the company," a representative said. "We have a deep, talented roster of developers already in place and new leaders have been assigned where appropriate. We are confident in our ability to continue progress, deliver amazing experiences to our players, and move forward to ensure a safe, productive work environment for all.”

A source at Blizzard also told PC Gamer that the senior developers are no longer in Blizzard's internal employee directory.

The news comes during a tumultuous month as Activision Blizzard reacts to a lawsuit by the state of California alleging that the company has a sexist culture and widespread workplace toxicity.

Louis Barriga was game director on Diablo 4, and has been with Blizzard for at least 15 years. He was previously a quest and systems designer, and a lead game designer on World of Warcraft. He was involved in the development of The Burning Crusade, Warlords of Draenor, Wrath of the Lich King, and Cataclysm expansions, as well as Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls.

Jesse McCree was a lead level designer at Blizzard, working on Diablo 3 and multiple World of Warcraft expansions. McCree had been employed since December 2005, according to his LinkedIn page. He's apparently the namesake of Overwatch character Jesse McCree, and his involvement in the "Cosby Suite" group chats documented by Kotaku led some Overwatch fans to ask the name of the character be changed. McCree also has at least five characters in World of Warcraft named after himself.

Jonathan LeCraft had worked at Blizzard since 2005 as well, serving as a senior game designer for World of Warcraft. He has worked primarily on World of Warcraft since The Burning Crusade.

This situation is developing, and PC Gamer has reached out to Activision Blizzard for comment.

Perkel

Arcane
Incline ? More like decline. From what i have seen the lead was the one pushing for proper D4 with combination of D1 theme, D2 systems and D3 combat feel

New guy will be some SJW freak who will do 180 on everything

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
That will be a good 80% of the staff. It'll fine, them sucking and fucking each other off since they can't be discriminated against.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom