Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware [Play-by-post] Lamentations in Averoigne

L'ennui

Magister
Guillemin is still eyeing the vultures warily as he holds the rope tightly. "Maybe bring the mule close to the hole, that way if the vultures get too uppity we shove it down there and hope it makes a good distraction? Sorry, mule."

SoupNazi

"Absolument pas, non." Finn grits through his teeth, for the first time - visibly irritated by an idea.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Grima calls up from the hole as he descends.

"Push down that mule, it would be funny to watch it fall from this angle!"

nikolokolus

Arcane
Grima trusts to fate and jauntily grabs hold of the rope with both hands and starts to slide down slowly. When he's about 20' feet down, he comes face to face with a small dark cave hollowed out of the earthen walls of the well. There's "something" glinting in the gloom . . . make that 6 "somethings" like pairs of little glinting jewels spaced evenly about a handspan apart and set back into the cave some ten feet deep. There is gore smeared on the lip of the cave.
AdamReith Grima needs to make a surprise roll, this one is 3-in-6 (luckily your elf heritage lowered it from 4-in-6)

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Knew I should have sent a fire arrow or two down first. What's a few silver when you are facing cosmic horrors and such.

Capture.png

If a 5 is good Grima clambers up the rope (flippin' as he goes), once topside he does one of these.

KindheartedObeseIchidna-max-1mb.gif

nikolokolus

Arcane
The matched pairs of glinting "jewels" start to sway and move, Oh shit! Grima thinks, those are eyes! Before the creatures in the cave seem to fully react, Grima starts to climb up the rope as fast as he can.
You're able to cover 10' per round climbing. If you want to double your rate of movement (which would get you back to the top of the rope in this surprise round) you need to make an acrobatics roll or a Dexterity roll at -4 penalty. (Take the acrobatics roll). If you fail the roll, you don't fall, but can only ascend normally.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
The matched pairs of glinting "jewels" start to sway and move, Oh shit! Grima thinks, those are eyes! Before the creatures in the cave seem to fully react, Grima starts to climb up the rope as fast as he can.
You're able to cover 10' per round climbing. If you want to double your rate of movement (which would get you back to the top of the rope in this surprise round) you need to make an acrobatics roll or a Dexterity roll at -4 penalty. (Take the acrobatics roll). If you fail the roll, you don't fall, but can only ascend normally.

Capture.png

Grima climbs back up as fast as he can make it.

He also screams. "PULL ME BACK UP NOW!"

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
Grima shouts from below to be hauled up, which Requin and Guillemin do so as fast as they can.

As soon as Grima reachs the lip of the well and is pulled free there is the most God awful, bowel churning scream any of you have ever heard from below. Marcus, who has been peering over the side the entire time, turns back to you and shouts in a thunderous voice, "Back! Close ranks!" Moments later you hear the drumbeat-like rush of flapping wings within and seconds later seven chimeric, man-sized creatures with huge black, wings spreading out over 15 feet wide, burst forth into the open air. Each possesses a particularly horrific aspect: All of them have the wings and head of a vulture, the torso and arms of a hideous crone, and a writhing mass of four squid-like tentacles dangling from the torso, where legs should be.

They climb through the air up into the bright sunlight out of the huge hole in the ground and hover there for a moment. Three of these horrors carry shortbows and a clutch of arrows in their tentacles, the other four are armed with badly rusted shortswords. Meanwhile, Grima looks up from the ground as he catches his breath and sees the five, huge circling vultures that were far overhead, diving down upon you.
Somebody do the honors.
Y'all like to swim in the deep end of the pool I see?

Last edited:

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Disheartened, Daphne drops the wolvesbane and readies her sling. She moves backwards half a step behind Marcus and takes aim at the amalgamations.
Won't find time to participate in roll20 bouts for the next 18-ish hours, so here's what Daphne does:
  • She shoots with her sling at those... things, preferrably at those wielding ranged weaponry.
  • When she gets engaged in melee, she swaps to her quarterstaff.
  • If (some of) those things decide to land to attack us on solid ground, she'll cast Faithful Hound(prepared).
  • If things go south and she'll gets isolated versus two or more enemies, or if she's the last group member standing, she tries to escape with magic: First with a cast of Duo Dimension (not prepared) and if she can't get to safety while it's active, then with another cast of gaseous form (prepared).
Good luck, men :salute:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Ganelon draws his sword and prepares to receive the enemy dive.

wont be able to get on roll20 until after work. Sword attacks. Heal if someone takes a nasty wound.

L'ennui

Magister
"Merde... Fall back! Maybe if they see we're backing off from their lair, they won't give too much of a chase!"

Guillemin raises his shield and spear, assuming a defensive posture behind Requin.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Grima catches his breath and quickly gives wordless thanks to his fellows.

Turning he draws Mad Vandal, feeling it soak the space around him with vile chaos magicks as he raises his shield to these monstrous adversaries.

Elric%2BOf%2BMelnibone%2B6%2B-%2BStormbringer%2Bby%2BMichael%2BWhelan.jpg

Am technically asleep so if I miss the fight Grima is defensive if he's being focused by the vulture-things.

Otherwise he will he will get some distance and let them have it with his short bow.

nikolokolus

Arcane
We'll play this round by round, so I won't get too far ahead of things and try to give everyone a chance to be proactive and not spectators whenever and however possible.

nikolokolus

Arcane
The vultures start diving and although most are not close enough to engage, one was right over Finn's head and dives past, raking him badly across the neck and face. Ganelon (as per your instructions above) moves up as Finn closes ranks with Marcus and begins casting a spell of Cure Light Wounds.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Requin decides to apply finesse and subtlety and prepares to wrestle down anything that flies close down and give the creature a face to face introduction to his cudgel.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Requin decides to apply finesse and subtlety and prepares to wrestle down anything that flies close down and give the creature a face to face introduction to his cudgel.
So am I rolling dex then str? Or is this a grapple check?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom