Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Mike Winterbauer's art was for NWC was fantastic and totally deserves that oversized box. IIRC he also drew the cloth maps for both Xeen games, the Spaceward Ho box art, and one of the Wing Commanders.

He drew Sheltem for the Darkside box too <3

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Spaceward Ho, the great project eater. The only game on the Mac Lab Macs, and the only one you needed. Later came Warlords to add insult to injury.

DaveO

Erudite
I was briefly contemplating getting the Larry Elmore art for MM6, but the prints are too small for my taste to justify $30.

DaveO

Erudite
Given the good results from posting about the Merge mod on my YouTube channel, I'm going to dedicate time to Merge on my LP sessions. There are good mods out now that truly change the game enough to warrant investigation. I'll be focusing on a number of those mods on my YouTube channel.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Digital Antiquarian will be covering Might & Magic after all, if only to talk about HOMM: https://www.filfre.net/2021/07/and-onward-to-1995/

We’ll backtrack a bit to cover the story of New World Computing and the Might and Magic CRPG franchise, which will set the stage for frightfully addictive strategy game Heroes of Might and Magic.

Can't wait to see what moronic things he has to say about Might and Magic

Will he actually play the games or just stock up on Research knowledge

DaveO

Erudite
I have yet to see any "professional" site bother doing research especially for games. I have my history of M&M on Celestial Heavens. I originally wrote it for Gamebanshee, but they never contacted me back. Right now, I am more likely to have my upcoming novella surpass both my post count and YouTube subscribers.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I did that and game crashed when you try to pick different classes. Some new ones can be picked but clicking arrows ~10? times in the Class section leads to crash.

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
I have made a mistake in mm678merge mod. I started 1 character in mm8 jadame and then recruited npc characters. They were lvl5 and I lost the very interesting beginning to power up my characters.
When you are only fighting in pants and using a rusty sword to reach Level2.

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
mm6-7-8 merge mod
There is so much shiny loot.
I have to open the chests two times because not all treasure can fit in the chest.
Identify them all, sort them, take home for sale, what a chore! I do not like it at all.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Identify them all, sort them, take home for sale, what a chore! I do not like it at all.
That's the essence of M&M, what are you doing here?
Don't you have tiny, greedy inner goblin inside you to feed with phat l00t?

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
Don't you have tiny, greedy inner goblin inside you to feed with phat l00t?
Yes, I have that greedy inner goblin. That is the problem.
I remember when played Arcanum and I found the first trash bin. It was full of trash. But I looted all the trash and could not move because I became over encumbered.
I have been playing M&M for the 100th time. And this merge mod looks too easy and uninteresting.
I played this merge mod years before but I cannot remember anything about it. I suspect it was so dull.
Never mind, I have started a solo necromancer "party".

Last edited:

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
Necromancer solo game
Can I use mules? Recruitable characters dead.
This constant inventory management gets on my nerves.
I have to bring a lot of HP potion because I have no heal spells.

DaveO

Erudite
Merge can be too easy if you get to MM8. Now given that the engine starts you in MM6, you have to find your way to MM7 and MM8. I suspect the only way to do that is using Town Portal or Gate Master NPCs.

Merge is not the only mod out there. There have been a few, and Merge is the most recent one. I don't see how you could have played Merge for years. Maybe you're thinking of Chaos Conspiracy or just vanilla.

Arulan

Cipher
It has been a while since I've posted an update on my Might & Magic campaign. I still haven't fully settled into my new home, but at least I have a temporary setup to continue with.

Previously I was doing a little exploration of Varn before heading to the Forest Stronghold. I'm now level 7, so I think I'm ready. Level 7 also means my Sorceress & Cleric now have Level 4 spells, and my Archer and Paladin have access to Level 1 Sorcerer & Cleric spells respectively.

sorcererlvl4spellss1jdv.png
clericlvl4spells5xjro.png

Not bad. Time Distortion and Surface make exploring dungeons a lot safer. Guard Dog is always useful. Psychic Protection and Shield can be incredible against the right encounter. And I can finally restore my party's alignment without paying a fortune at the Temples.

I already have the Ruby Whistle from before, and know that I have to blow it twice to enter.

foreststrongholdb106khf.png

I've spent most of my time on the first floor thus far. Some strange rooms in here... and Minotaur dung.

Throughout this floor there are several doors that lead to a challenging encounter room, like this one:

mm00464ajdh.png
mm0050owjn2.png

Well, the Uglies Club wasn't as bad as the rest.

mm0049glj51.png

Getting Fireballs thrown at you isn't as much fun...

mm00510zkvu.png

Oh, and these fucking things. You just have to watch as they explode all over your party.

foreststrongholdb2dxkz0.png

I did make my way to the second floor, and found this...

mm0052o1k5v.png

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
image0-1-1.md.jpg

I've been playing World of Xeen lately, and finally got around to downloading and trying the Merge mod starting on Enroth for Mandate of Heaven.

But I had to share what I was able to grab today, even include the maps and clue books, which made me so excited.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom