Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline RPGs that should never be mentioned

RPGs that should never be mentioned (here or anywhere else)

• PoE

• Skyrim

• Fallout 3-4

• DAI

• Outer Worlds

• Tyranny

• Torment: ToN

• ME: Andromeda

• Bumdog EEs

• DOS series

• Kingmaker

• Cyberpunk

Results are only viewable after voting.

Atchodas

Augur
Outer Worlds.

Some of other options are also trash but they should be mentioned to shit on them.

Outer Worlds is just abomination that should get buried asap and never remembered.

Shaki

Arbiter
Wizardry series
M&M series
Every other first-person party-based RPG game ever made.

This subgenre was a mistake. Fortunately it never made a comeback, because even dumbest indie devs realize that unlike old-school isometric rpgs, people praise those games purely out of misguided nostalgia, but no one actually wants to play them.

Krivol

Magister
PoE - well, one can enjoy it, even with a shitty, balanced system and lore dumps its RPG rather than anything else. Not a great one, but playable
Skyrim - well... it has big swords, mountains, dragons and mods. Oh and is much better than Oblivion. Can be mentioned.
Fallout 3-4 - an abomination, shit, bad shooter, bad rpg, bad funpark, silly world and raping best game series in history. Avoid like the plague.
DAI - never played, but I hate DA:O so if DAI is worse, then it must be black geyser of shit.
Outer Worlds - oh god! I really wanted FNV with even better worldbuilding. What did I get? Tasteless, boring water from the gas station toilet.
Tyranny - never played, I guess it's like PoE with some quirks.
ToN - boring AF, still turn-based combat is a plus.
ME:A - now, that's the bottom level of shit. This game should be put in Sevres to show how to not create a game. Also SJW as fuck.
EEs - well, it's still BG, not the best version, but still, fun RPG, if I had 6th choice I would choose this.
DOS - TB combat is usually a plus to me.
Kingmaker - why is it on this list?
Cyberpunk - if I had 5th choice I would choose this one. But Fallout 3-4, DAI, OW and Andromeda are IMO worse shit than this (also I am potato, so... )

jackofshadows

Magister
Why, Disco Elysium of course. Bringing in filthy storyfaggotry back into our beloved genre. At this rate we'll have to play some obscure shooter-RPGs all the time. Fucking Estonians, man.

Falksi

Arcane
I feel cheated that I'm only allowed 4 votes with that list of shite to choose from. It's easier for me to highlight the rare positives in there than it is bitch about the wank on offer. So....

I enjoyed Fallout 3 the first time I played through it, but acknowledge it's shit. Having not played FO1 or 2 before it, the culture & world were fresh on me and I found them very engrossing. But as a game it sucks.

I've not played Outer Worlds or Kingmaker yet so have no opinion on those.

And Tyranny I only played 1/3rd of before my system went tits up, and I haven't restarted it since. But I did really enjoy that first 3rd a lot.

If I'm being uber-kind, I will say that I enjoyed the first few hours of Andromeda. What it promises and how it sets the game up is actually OK. But the delivery and actual game is fucking abysmal.

Writing negative thoughts about that list of games which we can vote on however would probably have me here until next year.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
PoE: the very definition of banal shit boring
Fallout 3: fuck this game for making kids think that's what Fallout is
Oblivion: fuck this game for ruining the Elder Scrolls series which I loved, and being majorly responsible for the casualization of the hobby
Anything made by Bioware after they were acquired by EA: just let an old corpse rest, they made some decent games in their past and now they're an undead servant of EA, the same fate that many others suffered before them (Origin, Maxis, Westwood...)

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oblivion: fuck this game for ruining the Elder Scrolls series which I loved, and being majorly responsible for the casualization of the hobby
Anything made by Bioware after they were acquired by EA: just let an old corpse rest, they made some decent games in their past and now they're an undead servant of EA, the same fate that many others suffered before them (Origin, Maxis, Westwood...)
I agree mostly with your assessment my friend. Fallout 3 for sure as that was an abomination and bastardization of Fallout. Oblivion should have been included in the poll as it was such a dumbed down, consolized shadow of the games that preceded it. Poe wasn't the revolution/return of cRPGs we thought it should have been but I did complete it and don't regret I did. I never played Outer Worlds but voted for it here. Saw a speed run video someone posted here and was shocked at how bad the gameplay (or lack there of), dialogue and overt hand holding there was. There must have been waypoint markers every 3 feet in that game!

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Let's go into this a little.

PoE: Tries to ape Baldur's Gate, is actually just an awful slog both mechanically and story-wise. Lots of people got convinced it's somehow not an awfully written, awfully designed mess because they're desperate for "old school" CRPGs.

Skyrim: TES went to shit by the time of Oblivion but Skyrim manages to be a persistent blight on gaming because Todd insists on re-releasing it on every possible system. Also, the kid called Dovakhiin should be about 11 or so now. A game only worth it for its memes, really, otherwise a regression in every single regard but what else can you expect from Bethesda these days?

Fallouts: See above, it's Bethesda, Bethesda is bad. Stop giving them the benefit of the doubt.

DAI: Probably the least offensive game on the list, actually, because it's just a single player MMO world. It's grindy and the story is mostly retarded (Elf MC meets Flemeth/that one elf goddess that was missing, asks her "Will you help the elves now?" and she just says "lol no" - Muh lore! So deep!) but it's not like it dragged CRPGs as a whole in a bad direction like Skyrim or Fallout did. It mostly came and went and was forgotten.

Outer Worlds: Also relatively harmless. The memes make it look worse than it really is. Its biggest sin is being boring, uninspired and childish but that's modern RPG writing for you. The sequel is entirely undeserved, as is any real praise.

Tyranny: Same issues as PoE, really, plus a tad more politicized and stupid.

Torment: Yet another failed Kickstarter that promised the stars and delivered something barely acceptable. The entire 2010s are riddled with those. Tries to be smart, ends up being dull.

Andromeda: Everyone expected it to be shit, it turned out to be shit, it still is shit, no, DLC won't fix it so stop acknowledging its existence.

Beamcock: Absolute cocksuckers and grifters who should be dragged behind a shed and shot for what they are doing to poor old Infinity and Aurora Engine games. They're the tapeworm of CRPGs, infesting otherwise decent games and making money off off other people's efforts. Yea yea maybe they helped with PWs somehow but that doesn't justify all the other shit they either did or didn't implement by now. But at least we got some shitty portrait packs!

Divinity: I wouldn't mind Larian if they had stayed in their "shitty Eurojamk RPG" niche. The DOS games are shit in my eyes, especially the incredibly unfunny forced humor, but whatever. Yet they couldn't leave well enough alone and are trying to parasitize the Baldur's Gate name. Fuck 'em.

Kingmaker: I respect Owlcat for fixing up the game after its pretty terrible launch state. They're not the based Slavs here to save us from the homo menace and Wrath looks like it's going to be even worse but of all the games above at least they made a functioning CRPG with an actual tested and working rules system, enough reactivity and CnC to allow for multiple playthroughs and decent (if completely dickish) encounter design... up until the House...

Cyberpunk: lol just LOL if you still think it's not a DEAD GAME

Funposter

Arcane

Very good point being made here that Oblivion is arguably worse than anything included in the original poll.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dragon Age: Inquisition - this is probably the worst piece of shit to ever infect my hard drive. Or at least the one in most recent memory. Outside of some of the graphics, I didn't find anything at all redeeming about this game.

Torment: Tides of Numanuma - I backed this and really couldn't play it due to getting bored and dropping it fairly early in. I actually tend to forget it exists most of the time except when it comes up in conversations like these. It completely missed the boat.

Skyrim - It's a terrible RPG and they've been repackaging it for 10 years. It's time to let it die.

Honourable mention: Outer Worlds - I haven't played this one, it's just always struck me as completely boring whenever I've seen videos of it and I'll try to play almost anything once.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I'd have to go with Dungeon Siege. Bought it with two friends. Started a party, started the game and we played for about 2 hours. I created an archer and it took about 15 minutes for it to dawn on me: I only control where this guy walks - everything else is done by the computer. I never went back. They succeeded where no other had: they dumbed down Diablo.

EldarEldrad

Savant
All the bad ones like:
Builders gay 1 and 2
Pretentiouscrap borement
Gayrcanum
Discount erectium
Fampyr: the dressup:cumlines
Omega retardocol
Nevercum at nights of every iteration

And probably many more.

Your sexual preferences are transparent

Reader

Scholar
No game wasted my time like DOS 1. And i won't waste your time listing here how bad is every aspect of this game.

But here is what offends me the most - when someone asks why is the writing so bad and childish, some retard always replies like "nah, you just don't get it, the writing in DOS is like Terry Pratchett's"
And from what i've seen this is kinda popular opinion.
WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
No game wasted my time like DOS 1. And i won't waste your time listing here how bad is every aspect of this game.

But here is what offends me the most - when someone asks why is the writing so bad and childish, some retard always replies like "nah, you just don't get it, the writing in DOS is like Terry Pratchett's"
And from what i've seen this is kinda popular opinion.
WHAT. THE. FUCK.
OS writing notwithstanding caring about writing in a videogame is retarded.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Read a book you pretentious twat

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom