Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs you can beat in an hour or two?

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Looking for good recommendations. A game with lots of replayability would be good. The Warlock of Firetop Mountain is a good example.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup

It might take a little more than an hour or two to beat. You can replay it to your heart's content forever. It's also easy to hop on for short sessions without significant mental investment.

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Space Wreck sounds like it will fit that description when it's finished. Titan Outpost is longer than 2 hours, but still fairly short. Non-combat characters can finish AoD in <2 hours. Dungeon Hack can be beaten in 2 hours, but it can take longer depending on your seed and what difficulty options you choose.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Have you heard about our lord and savior, the Roguelike? There are a whole bunch intended for people to just play over the course of a coffeebreak. I think the best of the coffeebreak style ones is DoomRL, but quite a few are interesting. The beautiful thing about the genre is you can quit literally anywhere and resume sometime later, so even the non-coffeebreak ones are good for a coffeebreak.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Academagia
Princess Maker X (2 is the “best”)
Long Live the Queen
I wish there was more of this genre. I find the gameplay of training + oncoming challenges very engaging. A Legionary's Life also fits the bill.
There's also My Pet Protector, a flash game, at least in English. In Japanese, there are quite a few, including one where you're a teacher, another where you're an idol manager. If you're interested, and know Japanese, I believe there are some on the TurboGrafx CD/PC Engine CD.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Not an hour or two, but as I recall Alpha Protocol took like 4-5 hours per playthrough and had a lot of reactivity that allowed for multiple playthroughs. It was definitely a title that went wide rather than long. Admittedly, finding this might be tough now outside of physical copies, etc. due to Sega not renewing the music licensing.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Not an hour or two, but as I recall Alpha Protocol took like 4-5 hours per playthrough and had a lot of reactivity that allowed for multiple playthroughs. It was definitely a title that went wide rather than long. Admittedly, finding this might be tough now outside of physical copies, etc. due to Sega not renewing the music licensing.

Hm, or 13 hours on average per howlongtobeat.com. I guess it really was fake news as my memory falters in old age. ;)

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
22188-alter-ego-commodore-64-front-cover.jpg
22189-alter-ego-commodore-64-back-cover.jpg

Alter Ego, a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure person simulator revolutionary CRPG from 1986, now available for free.

309183-alter-ego-browser-screenshot-outcome-of-your-first-decision.png
309197-alter-ego-browser-screenshot-new-nodes-to-visit-education.png

Aemar

Arcane
Zorbus, one of the best roguelikes I've played so far.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Aside from roguelikes and Jam games :
- Theseus: Journey to Athens : traditional RPG focused on choices and consequences

- Myth Bearer : open world to solve, enemies don't move and just wait to be smashed while dealing damage then, the world changes when you advance through chapters

- Interstellar Rising : CYOA events, some minor choices in exploration, the game crashes a bit

- Dark Scavenger : CYOA events and simple turn-based combat

- Fast crawl : this one is kind of a roguelike actually, just with a more first-person party-based presentation

- The away taem : lead created red shirts with various traits into space, exploration of planets triggers CYOA events, try to keep at least one alive up to the end

bionicman

Liturgist
I guess Fallout 1, 2, and AoD can all be completed quite quickly if you know what you can/have to do ahead of time.

fabrulana

Augur
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I enjoy playing Tales from Candlekeep, something you can just jump in for a quick mission or two and then leave again to play a few months later. Pretty good diversion.

Academagia
Princess Maker X (2 is the “best”)
Long Live the Queen
I wish there was more of this genre. I find the gameplay of training + oncoming challenges very engaging. A Legionary's Life also fits the bill.

Yeah it’s a very engaging mechanic. I’ve gone through phases of addiction to both Princess Maker and Long Live the Queen despite finding much of the plot content repulsive.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

Is this version still available somewhere? The official website replaced it with a newer remake in the ChoiceScript engine.
The Internet Archive has a playable on-line version in glorious IBM CGA graphics: https://archive.org/details/msdos_Alter_Ego_1986 (also at https://www.retrogames.cz/play_727-DOS.php) However, the specific on-line version pictured above is apparently inaccessible via the Wayback Machine, and it doesn't seem to have been replicated elsewhere. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom