Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The 1999 appreciation thread.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
This thread has reminded me that I need to do my annual System Shock 2 playthrough.
NOOOOOOOO! YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO PLAY IT EVERY YEAR, YOU'RE MEANT TO HAVE LAST PLAYED IT BACK IN 1999 SO THAT MY NOSTALGIA GOGGLES STRAWMAN WORKS!!! FALLOUT 4 IS A GOOD GAME PLAY THAT INSTEAD!!!
k0IGUXx.jpeg

Momock

Augur
I tried playing Morrowind again very recently. I cannot. I want to but I cannot. Everything about the moment to moment experience is repulsive. It's not just the graphics. The interface and menus are hideous. The animations are nauseating. The jumping and movement over the terrain are retarded. The dice-roll combat in a first-person game is not something I can really put up with in the year 2021.
But you could put up with it when that turd came out? All the repulsive things in that game were repulsive since day one. You just were too blind to see!

Curratum

People playing games from the nineties, including them having thousands of concurrent players in multiplayer lobby/on steam, is not some sort of esoteric knowledge ffs. Report yourself for retard harvesting.

Care to show me a single game it's both from the 90s AND has "thousands" of players in multi? God, how do you even come up with this stupidity...

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Have you heard of such unknown and niche games as HoMM or AoE? Probably not. Like I've said, you need to be really in the know to realize how many games from the nineties have super active communities for sp, mp and modding. This is all very mysterious, underground stuff.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
not being able to play older games because of QoL features says more about you than it says about retro games

These people suffer from fish-like attention spans.

It's called "having a family, a job and a kid and having an hour and a half to play before you pass out on the desk", you hopeless neckbeard fuck.

At least now we're getting somewhere. Being chronically exhausted must be the reason why all 90s games suck. :happytrollboy:

Just a spectacular thought process bro. Go kill yourself.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
It's not a myth, it's an objective, demonstrable, empiric truth.
Then why haven't you mentioned any game that would prove this truth? You've conveniently managed to forget that. If you have enough time away from your kids to post on some random internet forum, you have enough time to mention a game that should blow my unenlightened, Morrowind playing ass out of the water.

experienced the graphics,
Not the most important thing in games. I also hate how better graphics often means just more polygons and some shitty processing effects. Artistic vision is more important than technical prowess.

quality of life features, interface, UI / UX and general controls of modern games

Very nice to have, but not the most important thing in game.

(admittedly, their biggest strengths, with gameplay and mechanics usually lacking)

Wait, what? So you agree with us that the most important things in games have declined?

The interface and menus are hideous

Morrowind has one of the best interfaces in cRPGs..... Newest Elder Scrolls installment have an inferior consolised UI.

Also nostalgia is such a lazy argument. It's totally non meritorical and unfalsifiable. "You like something only because it's old/new" argument shouldn't be used in civilized discussion.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Tbh the boomers that sold out their favorite old franchises in favor of encouraging devs to dumb them down to Bethestard levels because "muh kids" and "muh wife" are worse than the zoomers whose only crime is starting a series three games in, at least those zoomers weren't directly responsible for the decline and just a result of it. Without a doubt Curratum is one of those people praising Bethesda for dumbing their games down because he only has 10 minutes a week to play video games because all of his time is taken up caring for his wife's boyfriend's son.

Codex Year of the Donut
"I don't have as much time to spend on gaming anymore, so it's better to play inferior games" is a heck of a cope.

You don't have to make up bullshit excuses to like garbage popamole. Just embrace it.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Age of Empires II, released September 30th 1999.
FaTy2Hc.png

ddQiEB7.png

The original Counter-Strike, released as a Half-Life mod on June 19th 1999.
PM4fH1G.png

Not to mention Doom 1 & 2 which are still played by thousands of people every day across shitloads of different source ports in both singleplayer and multiplayer despite them being OLD BAD!!

Codex Year of the Donut
probably not too well known nowadays, but the real reason online gaming took off in the mid-late 90s was because you basically weren't allowed to sell products online in USA until then(NSFNET's AUP.) Anyone who used the internet before then probably remembers all the online games you could buy from your ISP though, because it was a way around the issue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Science_Foundation_Network

wonder what kind of weird online games we'd still have nowadays if it was different
not that they don't exist though -- the exception above allowed for e.g., the Gemstone MUD which still exists to this day

Lemming42

Arcane
As long as we're on the topic of 1999...

System Shock 2 sucks ass.

It was weak at the time and it sucks even more nowadays. Plot is an insult to the great SS1, combat is dogshit, the RPG elements were a really stupid unnecessary inclusion, Citadel Station has more charisma and intrigue in a single room than the Von Braun has in its boring-as-fuck entirety. Even the music is ass. Wow, nice fucking dnb loop, must have taken you at least two full minutes to make.

SHODAN in a robot body flying around shooting at you. Hahahaha. Way to misunderstand what made the character so frightening and alien in SS1. In SS1 SHODAN was the station, and, other than that warped inhuman shape in cyberspace, had no physical representation other than a bunch of static arranged into a parody of a human face. In SS2 SHODAN is a robot with tits who can hover or something. Jesus. Plus the character has changed from having indecipherable alienesque motivations beyond your human comprehension to being your lame token-evil-teammate sidekick who talks like a Disney villain. "YOU HAVE PLEEEASED ME, HERE ARE SOME UPGRADE TOKENS, HUMAN FILTH! ;)" Utterly laughable.

System Shock 1's premise of "christ, the station's going to blow up and the mining laser is going to fire and the bridge is about to separate, let's get fucking cracking" replaced with absolute mind-numbing boredom as you shuffle about the Von Braun like an incontinent old man trying to find a bathroom. All the fun siphoned out and replaced with agonisingly lame "survival horror" shit. Allows fans to pull the "well the game doesn't need good combat, it's survival horror, it's about resource management!!" argument. Then if you criticise the resource management as being shit and the game as not being scary, "well, it's an FPS, it doesn't need to have good resource management!" Schrodinger's Crap Game.

"The Many" are about as scary as a litter of kittens and the less said about the ending with the flesh tunnels the better. Even fans won't stick up for this crap. Oh and you're suddenly inside the Medical deck of SS1 now, ooh, spooky! It's no surprise that an outside-the-box mastermind like Ken Levine would go on to make such blockbuster hits as BioShit: Infaggot.

Respawning enemies too. Oop, triggered an alarm, better stand in a room until it ends and systematically smack any dolt who wanders in with my wrench. Check it out, a pile of 15 identical bodies piled up in the doorway as these fools continue to walk in, single file. Comical. Might as well start playing the Seinfeld bass whenever you trip the alarm.

A lot of its problems come from being such a shit sequel to SS1, but even if it had been its own thing, it's the weakest of the immersive sims without question.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
As long as we're on the topic of 1999...

System Shock 2 sucks ass.

It was weak at the time and it sucks even more nowadays. Plot is an insult to the great SS1, combat is dogshit, the RPG elements were a really stupid unnecessary inclusion, Citadel Station has more charisma and intrigue in a single room than the Von Braun has in its boring-as-fuck entirety. Even the music is ass. Wow, nice fucking dnb loop, must have taken you at least two full minutes to make.

SHODAN in a robot body flying around shooting at you. Hahahaha. Way to misunderstand what made the character so frightening and alien in SS1. In SS1 SHODAN was the station, and, other than that warped inhuman shape in cyberspace, had no physical representation other than a bunch of static arranged into a parody of a human face. In SS2 SHODAN is a robot with tits who can hover or something. Jesus. Plus the character has changed from having indecipherable alienesque motivations beyond your human comprehension to being your lame token-evil-teammate sidekick who talks like a Disney villain. "YOU HAVE PLEEEASED ME, HERE ARE SOME UPGRADE TOKENS, HUMAN FILTH! ;)" Utterly laughable.

System Shock 1's premise of "christ, the station's going to blow up and the mining laser is going to fire and the bridge is about to separate, let's get fucking cracking" replaced with absolute mind-numbing boredom as you shuffle about the Von Braun like an incontinent old man trying to find a bathroom. All the fun siphoned out and replaced with agonisingly lame "survival horror" shit. Allows fans to pull the "well the game doesn't need good combat, it's survival horror, it's about resource management!!" argument. Then if you criticise the resource management as being shit and the game as not being scary, "well, it's an FPS, it doesn't need to have good resource management!" Schrodinger's Crap Game.

"The Many" are about as scary as a litter of kittens and the less said about the ending with the flesh tunnels the better. Even fans won't stick up for this crap. Oh and you're suddenly inside the Medical deck of SS1 now, ooh, spooky! It's no surprise that an outside-the-box mastermind like Ken Levine would go on to make such blockbuster hits as BioShit: Infaggot.

Respawning enemies too. Oop, triggered an alarm, better stand in a room until it ends and systematically smack any dolt who wanders in with my wrench. Check it out, a pile of 15 identical bodies piled up in the doorway as these fools continue to walk in, single file. Comical. Might as well start playing the Seinfeld bass whenever you trip the alarm.

A lot of its problems come from being such a shit sequel to SS1, but even if it had been its own thing, it's the weakest of the immersive sims without question.
ss2 different therefore bad

Curratum

Age of Empires II, released September 30th 1999.
FaTy2Hc.png

ddQiEB7.png

The original Counter-Strike, released as a Half-Life mod on June 19th 1999.
PM4fH1G.png

Not to mention Doom 1 & 2 which are still played by thousands of people every day across shitloads of different source ports in both singleplayer and multiplayer despite them being OLD BAD!!

Both of those AoE games are not the originals and are modernized remasters, you absolute fuckwad. :D

Thousands of people play Doom and Quake..... on GZDoom, Zandronum and Quakespasm. Old isn't bad, old UI / UX is bad.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
codex has shit ui it needs mobile proportions and burger buttons and random animations inserted between posts. also dont forget the mystery megabytes that every page should contain (measured in decimal bytes ofc)

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Don't believe me?

https://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/year/all/filtered?year_selected=1998

Ocarina of Time
Tekken 3
Half-Life
Gran Turismo
Metal Gear Solid
Grim Fandango
Banjo-Kazooie
Thief
Baldur's Gate
Resident Evil 2
Starcraft
Abe's Exodus
Tenchu
Fallout 2
Turok 2
Rainbow Six
Fzero-X
Rogue Squadron
Xenogears
Final Fantasy Tactics
Castlevania 64 (best game on here haha)
These are just the mainstream hits too.

My picks for 1998:

Armed police batrider
Asuka limit over
Baroque
Burning rangers
Bushido blade 2
Chaos heat
Dangun feveron
Devil dice
ESP Ra.De
Gauntlet legends
Guardian force
Gungriffon 2
King of fighters 98
Landmaker
NFL blitz
Radiant silvergun
Raiden fighters jet
R-type delta
Sega rally 2
Spikeout

Trap gunner
Vampire savior
Virtual on: Oratorio tangram

Bolded are games that can be considered top 10 in their respective genres.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom