Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Decadence Stinks

lossantos

Educated
1- There is nothing to do in the game except clicking in the dialogue screen. How can a game be an RPG where you can't activate the combat, sneaking, pickpocketing, etc. whenever you want? All you do is click something on the dialog screen, then realize that the character you have created has insufficient skills and you have to start the dialog from the beginning by an endless save/load grind. You guys calling a text-based game decorated with graphics an RPG.

2- At the end of the story we see that all the old wives' tales told in the inns are true. This is how all the characters who are sane, don't believe in such nonsense and are materialistic are destroyed. Because they were all wrong. This kills replayability too.

3- You have to rotate the camera to see most interactive objects. Why not an isometric game with a static camera? Seeing those ugly 3D bitmaps was not interesting at all.

4- Vince is someone who throws "Pepe screech" at the slightest criticism. According to him, everyone who doesn't like his game is a casual Elder Scrolls fan. But if you throw undeserved praises to his game, then you are the most pro RPG player. Such a toxic mindset.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
More literate people than you have already voiced the same criticisms in better ways before.

Apparently Vince listened to those, because Colony Ship deals with some of these issues.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I know this is a shitty troll and all, but I've seen this sentiment before:
>Vince is someone who throws "Pepe screech" at the slightest criticism. According to him, everyone who doesn't like his game is a casual Elder Scrolls fan. But if you throw undeserved praises to his game, then you are the most pro RPG player.
The developers are constantly helping new players within their steam forums. On contrary, they don't get enough credit for both working on the game, and reading feedback from new players.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Apparently Vince listened to those, because Colony Ship deals with some of these issues.
well, latest location added recently plays much like aod(to be fair its ealry work and lots f content is missing)

lossantos

Educated
In Age of Decadence, "git gud" means:
create a trite character using spoiler information, because you've already finished the game by saving/loading thousands of times.

Age of Decadence is an interesting game because it tries to do things in a new way (by giving C&C a much more important and central role than in other RPGs). So as an experiment, and as a game that tries new stuff, both in terms of gameplay and the setting, it succeeds.

However, judged solely in terms of entertainment value (which for games is kind of important), it is vastly overrated here on the Codex. It's almost more of a toy where you can play around with the inputs and see what interesting stuff happens rather than a full fledged RPG. Being fairly short (a single playthrough should take 10 hours or less), lacking real exploration, pretty much requiring some sort of meta-gaming to avoid getting stuck in certain places, and having a combat system that lacked real tactics imho, as an RPG it was an interesting take on the genre rather than a great game.

I hope with their future games, Irontower Studios incorporates the excellent C&C into a meatier RPG body.

jackofshadows

Magister
because Colony Ship deals with some of these issues.
Unfortunately ITS indeed have chosen static camera for CSG after complains about it in AoD. One thing that really displeasing me about their new game. 3d enviroment coupled with fixed camera is just... looks so stupid.

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
4- Vince is someone who throws "Pepe screech" at the slightest criticism. According to him, everyone who doesn't like his game is a casual Elder Scrolls fan. But if you throw undeserved praises to his game, then you are the most pro RPG player. Such a toxic mindset.

It's even worse. I heard he used an ableist slur on an interwebs forum once!

Can you imagine THAT?!

Jinn

Arcane
>Vince is someone who throws "Pepe screech" at the slightest criticism. According to him, everyone who doesn't like his game is a casual Elder Scrolls fan. But if you throw undeserved praises to his game, then you are the most pro RPG player.

Pink Eye, if you highlight a section of text from a post you want to quote and hit the little "reply" tab that pops up, it'll automatically create the quote code in your reply box at the bottom of the screen. This also provides a notification for the person you are quoting, so they know who and when they are being quoted. All of this is not only conventional posting etiquette here on the codex, but will also make your posts much more readable.

Hopefully this will make this thread somewhat useful in the long run. Also, hi Jenkem.

dacencora

because Colony Ship deals with some of these issues.
Unfortunately ITS indeed have chosen static camera for CSG after complains about it in AoD. One thing that really displeasing me about their new game. 3d enviroment coupled with fixed camera is just... looks so stupid.
Whoa hold on there. Colony Ship has a fixed camera? I might have to consider buying it now.

Death to rotating cameras in isometric RPGs! Death!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

It's even worse. I heard he used an ableist slur on an interwebs forum once!

Can you imagine THAT?!

Yeah what a retard.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Be a little more creative with your troll thread titles, OP.

Like for example: "Age of Flatulence Stinks!".

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
1- There is nothing to do in the game except clicking in the dialogue screen. How can a game be an RPG where you can't activate the combat, sneaking, pickpocketing, etc. whenever you want? All you do is click something on the dialog screen, then realize that the character you have created has insufficient skills and you have to start the dialog from the beginning by an endless save/load grind. You guys calling a text-based game decorated with graphics an RPG.

2- At the end of the story we see that all the old wives' tales told in the inns are true. This is how all the characters who are sane, don't believe in such nonsense and are materialistic are destroyed. Because they were all wrong. This kills replayability too.

3- You have to rotate the camera to see most interactive objects. Why not an isometric game with a static camera? Seeing those ugly 3D bitmaps was not interesting at all.

ferratilis

Magister
How many ratings are there between "Literate" and "Dumbfuck?" It seems OP is doing a speedrun.

Beans00

Augur
I had fun with it but have seen it overrated on here. That said it offered some things no other RPG has come close to replicating.

Ironically(since I generally don't like dungeon crawlers) I enjoyed dungeon rats more then AOD.

nobre

Cipher

You can't be sane and materialistic, fedoratard. Pick one and one only.

Also, your mom stinks too. Doesn't mean I didn't thoroughly enjoyed myself with her.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom