Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane Deathloop - first-person action game from Arkane set on a time loop island

Looks like it's going to be extremely repetitive if you have to keep reenacting the same assassinations. Also is there any mechanism to prevent save-scumming bypassing the entire LOOP part of the premise?
Dunno, but it looks like the idea of the game is to figure out how to do everything before the reset (while avoiding the assassin), so cheesing should be less effective than just playing and trying new stuff every life until you learn the map and can plot more efficient routes.

Zeriel

Arcane
who's the target audience for this?

Audience?

EhlXOotWkAE-P2z.jpg

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
So I was right with my assumption that this would be Hitman meets Arkane™ immersive sim with a little more focus on lethal playstyles.
Not sure why I'm supposed to hate this?
Looks like it's going to be extremely repetitive if you have to keep reenacting the same assassinations. Also is there any mechanism to prevent save-scumming bypassing the entire LOOP part of the premise?

Israfael

Arcane
Theoretically, if you know everyting and get lucky (like getting the recipe for hourglass basically from the get-go), you can finish mooncrash in one go (not sure about the abilities or resources needed to do that, some parts of the game world persisted, as far as I remember), provided you can finish the joint-missions (like repairing the mind upload thing and teleporter). But you can't probably do it without meta-knowledge (and immense amount of luck), so I guess it'll be the same in the Deathloop.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Are you joking? There isn't going to be a traditional save menu, dope.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
In before nexusmods drama over whitefication mods.
You are assuming anyone will bother modding this looking at the new gameplay view numbers it dont look good chief 44k views for a new release XD?

Nobody gives a fuck negro.

Theoretically, if you know everyting and get lucky (like getting the recipe for hourglass basically from the get-go), you can finish mooncrash in one go (not sure about the abilities or resources needed to do that, some parts of the game world persisted, as far as I remember), provided you can finish the joint-missions (like repairing the mind upload thing and teleporter). But you can't probably do it without meta-knowledge (and immense amount of luck), so I guess it'll be the same in the Deathloop.

That’s not true. If nothing else it requires multiple runs to unlock all the characters/missions.

LudensCogitet

Learned

With AI this non-existent and gunplay this bland and meaningless there are only 2 options:

1. They are playing on super easy to "show off" the game, in which case they don't think fighting enemies and shooting guns is an important part of the gameplay in a game where you fight enemies and shoot guns.
2. They are _not_ playing on super easy. In which case there is no gameplay at all.

Why is the player in this video sneaking around or using clever tricks when the deaf and blind enemies, after you manage to alert them, stand directly in front of you and miss repeatedly at midrange?

DeepOcean

Arcane
Okay, this is Dishonored without the complex and clever level design, Mooncrash without the time pressure/ resource management, Hitman without the interesting sprawling levels and Dark Souls without good challenging gameplay. Really, did Prey sold so bad to be replaced by this and Left for Dead with vampires?

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
Okay, this is Dishonored without the complex and clever level design, Mooncrash without the time pressure/ resource management, Hitman without the interesting sprawling levels and Dark Souls without good challenging gameplay. Really, did Prey sold so bad to be replaced by this and Left for Dead with vampires?
This game is like a puerto rican whore with syphilis sure it may be fun for 30 minutes but after that you will regret ever touching it.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Gunplay still looks like trash and there is no gore :lol: even cyberbug and FAILlout 4 had dismemberment system.
There is though? The melee kills are pretty brutal.
It does indeed look mediocre though. Seems to be the sort of game that gets stale real fast.
I didnt see no gore when enemies get shot.

That is true, I did notice a lack of gore from getting shot, which in a modern AAA FPS is quite unusual.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
That is true, I did notice a lack of gore from getting shot, which in a modern AAA FPS is quite unusual.
It's trash you cant have good weapon feedback if there is no gore it just feels like shit. Imagine soldier of fortune without gore system weapons would never seem powerful if enemies just ragdoll to death which is another thing I noticed no death animations just generic ragdoll after getting shot which is why I said even Failout 4 and Cyberbug got this right about shooting mechanics and if this game is mainly a shooter and lacks such basic things then yikes.

And how shitty is this finisher I timestamped? His head just disappears into nothing from machete cut XD

Not to mention the fact that graphics look shittier than Dishonored 2 what the fuck happened?

Last edited:

Child of Malkav

Erudite
There are signs of meddling in Arkane's creative freedom. From absolutely retarded dialogue to just making games focused on shooting and cooperative gameplay and multiplayer as seen so far in Deathloop and Redfall.
The weapons and weapon switching also look very forced, slow, like it's unfamiliar territory, not to mention that the weapon that jams in the gameplay shown has a similar design to the AR in FO4, which itself had similar design with a gun from Doom 3, together with designs for monsters (ghouls) and fluidity of shooting and combat. If I remember correctly, ID Software "helped" with the creation of FO4 and guess who is helping with the creation of Redfall? ID Software. What can they help with? Weapon design, combat.
Since the weapon switching looks so hanky and slow, this makes me believe they're working with an unfamiliar engine, maybe they're using Void Engine like for D2, an engine that Arkane was forced to use even though they were familiar with Unreal. Yeah, the signs are there.
I said some time ago that maybe Arkane doesn't really have a say in what they're making anymore. Commercial failure after failure (D2, DotO, Prey, Moon crash) may be what led to this.
I fully expect Arkane to completely stop making single player immersive sims after Redfall or maybe the game after. Still, a 20 year run of a company that wanted and succeeded partially in continuing the Looking Glass design school in their games deserves our respect. Because after they're gone, with the exception of Wolf Eye Studio (as of now), Otherside Entertainment owned by the CCP is what will continue to make immersive sims.
And since Underworld Ascendant was such a beloved game especially by the Codex (
:whatho:
), I'm sure by now we know what to look forward to when it comes to them making... anything really. So yeah, the future looks bright. When you shine a flashlight on it.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I didn't even know about Redfall until you mentioned it. Good lord that also looks like shit. Why can't western devs make good looking character models anymore? I'm not sure if the main characters aren't vampires or some sort of monster either. Certainly looks like soulless drivel.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom