Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Okay, you want to explore that avenue, fine, but is this a defining feature of the series or something?

No. From 1-2, politics are the defining feature. 3-4 takes a turn towards the occult.
It's odd that you've highlighted Rean's relationship with Elise to this extent.

Lhynn

Arcane
Normal people think it's weird. Because it is.

Also, this is not even the first step-cest plotline in a Trails game. Okay, you want to explore that avenue, fine, but is this a defining feature of the series or something?

It kinda reminds me how Persona 4 had some normal relationships along with some baggage, then Persona 5 half the social links are taboo older milfs of one flavor or another.

This is a strange timeline.
MILFs dont get nearly enough attention. I applaud persona 5.
Those devs are both brave and beautiful.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Lhynn is my alt btw.
It's Rean with a Japanese incline-filled pronunciation.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Normal people think it's weird. Because it is.

Also, this is not even the first step-cest plotline in a Trails game. Okay, you want to explore that avenue, fine, but is this a defining feature of the series or something?

It kinda reminds me how Persona 4 had some normal relationships along with some baggage, then Persona 5 half the social links are taboo older milfs of one flavor or another.

This is a strange timeline.

It's been a while since i play p4, but i remember one of the social link being about an nurse who kinda prey on young man, or something like that ? Anyways, the worst offender is the 4th by far , even though by then a lot of guys in the cast actually start showing inclination of not being total eunuch.
i thought people where shitposting when they said that you could add a cat to your harem :shredder:

It’s like they sent a boy to war, but the boy returned a boy and not a man despite doing all of the things that generally transforms boys to men.

CS2 spoiler
It kinda does but only after being conscripted as the ashen chevalier, the civil war in itself does not impact him that much, but loosing crow and fighting against calvard apparently does.

Kaivokz

Arcane
CS2 spoiler
That’s actually what I was referencing when I said he returned a boy. After all that (in your spoiler), he still basically acts like the shy first-year, laid-back military school student.

Granted I’ve only played about 45 minutes of 3.

I’d just like to see a little bit of Elliot’s father, or Osborne, or the blond knight guy, in Rean’s character. A better military man.

Or even Crow. Despite being kind of a twat, Crow is a more compelling character than Rean because his background/experiences directly play in to his goals, actions and overall personality.

Ysaye

Arbiter
CS2 spoiler
That’s actually what I was referencing when I said he returned a boy. After all that (in your spoiler), he still basically acts like the shy first-year, laid-back military school student.

Granted I’ve only played about 45 minutes of 3.

I’d just like to see a little bit of Elliot’s father, or Osborne, or the blond knight guy, in Rean’s character. A better military man.

Or even Crow. Despite being kind of a twat, Crow is a more compelling character than Rean because his background/experiences directly play in to his goals, actions and overall personality.

He actually has plenty of
Osborne
in him from the get go, it is just because not much is actually revealed about that character's backstory until the last game; in fact part of the whole dynamic of Rean is arguably a study in nature versus nuture. His change to an angst-ridden character at the end of CS2 is driven in the most part by his struggle to relate to that character, not by the other things mentioned IMO - by the time of CS3 he has hidden much of that angst but the struggle there manifests itself in him struggling to control his own powers, which again is characterized by his biological inheritance.

His character for most of CS3 and then even more so in CS4 is more self-assured than in the early two games, and his dynamic in particular between Kurt, Juna, Altina, Ash and Musse shows this in those games (and he even does drink in those games with a number of characters that are old enough to do so in those games). But he also doesn't quite ever lose that biological inheritance of wanting to sacrifice himself for others at every turn, or bear the burdens of others, or his obliviousness towards girls.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Played the prologue of Trails of Cold Steel 1.

Thoughts so far:

- The pace is very relaxed. I like that. The perfect game for an hour, before I go to bed.
- Damn, there's already so much text.
- Rean is surprisingly likeable. I thought he would be too milktoast for my liking and he's kind of, but I can't stand mad at the guy. He's a good egg. Well done, Falcom.
- I like Gaius. He seems to be a real dude to hang around with.
- I like Machias too. He has the right ideas about the upper classes (although you don't say that out loud, buddy. You buy your time and wait, until you strike) and in a class of people with experimental superweapons or old family heirlooms, he's the only one that brought something practical with him. A shotgun. He kills his enemies with the ancient magic of GUN. What's not to love?
- Can somebody tell Machias and Jusis to shut up and fuck already?

I think, I gonna like this one.

Maximilian

Played the prologue of Trails of Cold Steel 1.

Thoughts so far:

- The pace is very relaxed. I like that. The perfect game for an hour, before I go to bed.
- Damn, there's already so much text.
- Rean is surprisingly likeable. I thought he would be too milktoast for my liking and he's kind of, but I can't stand mad at the guy. He's a good egg. Well done, Falcom.
- I like Gaius. He seems to be a real dude to hang around with.
- I like Machias too. He has the right ideas about the upper classes (although you don't say that out loud, buddy. You buy your time and wait, until you strike) and in a class of people with experimental superweapons or old family heirlooms, he's the only one that brought something practical with him. A shotgun. He kills his enemies with the ancient magic of GUN. What's not to love?
- Can somebody tell Machias and Jusis to shut up and fuck already?

I think, I gonna like this one.
Well aren't you in for a world of disappointment.

Cat Dude

Savant
Any character who looks like Gaius always was created for a side kick in anime and jrpg.

Sarathiour

Cipher
The relationship between the two is one of the many lower points of this game. It never evolves past hissy fits.

Damn. Oh well. Machias has still a shotgun. That will take time to get old.

It evolve a bit through the saga, basically in cs1 there arc is pretty much over after chapter 2. It's just play for the laugh most of the time, but they got their moment.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Cold Steel characters are like "I am a disciple of the 8 leaf lotus blade master fighting style"

Machias is like "That's cool, I have a shotgun."

jbZeNVI.jpg

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
beat Ao, took me 80h

The more I hear about how long each earlier game takes to beat the more I'm convinced I'll never get around to Cold Steel. Also still looking to at least complete the Trails in the Sky trilogy before starting.

Kaivokz

Arcane
I think these games attract autists who talk to every NPC and get S rank in every chapter. You could beat them much faster if you wanted to.

cruel

Cipher
Talking to people and doing side stuff is part of the charm, not autism. If the game is good, I want to play it as long as possible.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Talking to NPCs qualifies as the opposite of autism, autists have severe problems with lack of empathy and have very little interest whatsoever in other individuals.
More likely to find autists playing shooters.

Kaivokz

Arcane
You’re describing a psychopath, not autism. Lack of natural empathy != no interest in other people. I question your inference that “talking to NPCs” means “being interested in other individuals.” At least, when I read NPC dialogue it is not generally because I am interested in that NPC as an “individual person”, nor do I think of it in any significant way as being equivalent to talking to a real person. Rather, I, and I would venture most people, primarily talk to NPCs because we want to know more about the world and lore of the game.

That is all irrelevant, however, because I was obviously using “autistic” in the colloquial internet sense to mean something like: obsessively focused on one thing (a game/game series) and compulsive (an urge to talk to every NPC even if it is boring).

Jinn

Arcane
One of the absolute best common battle themes in the series.

One of the best travel themes in the series.

One of the best town themes in the series (some serious feeling with context)

One of the best dungeon themes in the series.

Musical biases aside, almost three months after completing it and after plenty of reflection, I feel confident saying IV is my favorite game in the Cold Steel series, and one of my favorite in the entire Trails series.

Sarathiour

Cipher
gameplay footage of kuro :

Real time seems extremely streamlined, and basically dedicated to trash. No concrete footage of turn base, more like craft exhibition,, which could allegedly only be used on trun-base.

seems like fie kept her craft pretty much untouched

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom