Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

3) Ffp often draw more action or shooters oriented players. And because often those players are the polar opposite of rpg players the rpg needs to be dumbed down to kingdom come in order to have big sales. Take for example Kingdom Come Deliverance. All FPP and a pretty solid rpg however was not as much popular after the release. Still is a valid title as an rpg very very valid. But is not suited for the "Mainstream audience" this is why THe outer worlds and Cyberpunk are pretty subpar as RPG and super action and shooting packed.
This is a pretty weird claim to me. How exactly do you measure Kingdom Come: Deliverance's popularity "after the release" and how much time "after the release"? Because from where I stood the game was hot for months (and reception got better and better with patches).

Is rather simple. Many people were looking forward to the game there was an huge hype about it. Tho when the game shipped many lamented was too complex too complicated. As result the mainstream audience drifted away and only the core fans of the game sticked around. Wich are plenty of people but not as much they were before the game released. If you follow the development of a game you become aware how sometimes the communities swaps around. As soon a game release then you have everything brusting open. Youtube videos appear. Reddit posts. Forums posts. Is pretty easy to see if a game is living up to the huype or not.

Look CDPR look youtube look their official forum and also reddit.

Basicaly is a dead game.

copebot

Learned
The point of having a harem is not to fuck them, but to say you have a harem and for it to serve as a status symbol. Reproduction and working organs don't figure into it (99% of the time).

Not really true. You are just not thinking big enough. Many of the sultans in the old Ottoman world did indeed fuck and knock up the entire harem. It's ALSO a status symbol. To boot, they also married off slaves not in their harem to their followers to consolidate political power through the giving of favors. The western mind has a hard time of conceiving of the sheer depravity and luxury of these courts, because there really isn't a western equivalent. See this and other works for some examples: https://www.amazon.com/White-Gold-E...ocphy=1021897&hvtargid=pla-570520457903&psc=1

It sounds crazy because it was actually crazy, politically unstable, and economically insane. Naturally all the harem wives constantly scheme against one another. Successions automatically create crises as wives and princelings duel and scheme against one another, making every royal death into a huge clusterfuck of conspiratorial activity. You basically have an entire kingdom set up to support the party lifestyle of one royal family while everyone else scrabbles by in semi-poverty or outright slavery. The most florid of modern day Arab sheiks and princelings are basically tame compared to what used to be the practice.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, sure, you can fuck and knock up the entire harem, but it's not what you do with it for the vast majority of the time. You don't have enough stamina and time to have sex with all your harem women constantly. You could also have a harem of women even when you are not (very) interested in women. Look at Alexander the Great. So, a lich could have a harem of succubi no problem even with no working organs or carnal drives.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yeah, sure, you can fuck and knock up the entire harem, but it's not what you do with it for the vast majority of the time. You don't have enough stamina and time to have sex with all your harem women constantly. You could also have a harem of women even when you are not (very) interested in women. Look at Alexander the Great. So, a lich could have a harem of succubi no problem even with no working organs or carnal drives.
Give this guy an "Undead Sex Expert" tag already. He has taught me so much about both lich and skeleton sex lives.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The point of having a harem is not to fuck them, but to say you have a harem and for it to serve as a status symbol. Reproduction and working organs don't figure into it (99% of the time).

Not really true. You are just not thinking big enough. Many of the sultans in the old Ottoman world did indeed fuck and knock up the entire harem.

I was born in the wrong timeline. :negative:

Unwanted

Abracadabra

Unwanted
You sound like a gay lich trying to compensate. Like an illiterate lich with a huge library.

Not really true. You are just not thinking big enough. Many of the sultans in the old Ottoman world did indeed fuck and knock up the entire harem.

I was born in the wrong timeline. :negative:
If you ask nicely there might be some turks left willing to try to knock you up. Ask Kalin when he comes back.

Unwanted

Abracadabra

Unwanted

copebot

Learned
What? The reason why liches kidnap/purchase women is to use them as spell components. It's cheaper to buy or kidnap the whole virgin than to have to buy all that virgin blood at retail prices. The only other reason is to torment their enemies by using their women as spell components.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Someone on the BG3 Reddit has pointed out that in some random patch 5 gameplay video the player no longer gains automatic advantage when standing behind an enemy unless they hide beforehand. It would appear that that particular piece of homebrew has been removed from the game. It happens about 12 minutes into the video

It's worth noting that it doesn't seem like all of the homebrew ways to gain advantage have been removed though. The player gains high ground advantage in the following fight.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Uhm, you can't randomly hide when behind the enemy in combat to get advantage. That's homebrew. At least I think it is, I've never seen anyone do it or allow it.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
The removal of the advantage when attacking from behind is great news, and it means Larian is at least somewhat willing to listen to criticism from the non-retarded part of this game's audience (first cantrips' puddles, now this). They probably learned something from the whole DOS2 armor system. At the very least, they're listening to some play-tester who's capable of understanding what works and what doesn't.

On the other hand, those MC voice lines every third click are unbearable.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Uhm, you can't randomly hide when behind the enemy in combat to get advantage. That's homebrew. At least I think it is, I've never seen anyone do it or allow it.
I was referring to a (previously) 100% guaranteed advantage gain whenever you hit any enemy from behind regardless of whether or not you were hiding. Based on the video that seems to have been removed.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The removal of the advantage when attacking from behind is great news.
But did they remove it or just replace it with this "hide when you are behind the enemy" thing? You just need another click. I guess you can't do it when you are in direct line of sight of another enemy, but that's small comfort, and it's still not allowed imo.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Yeah, I also thought the voice lines appeared far too frequently. I don't think I'd mind it that much if it was a simple confirmation like "Yeah" or "mhm" but the voice lines in the video seem to be musings and random statements about whatever the fuck is going on.
I guess Larian fell for the design pit fall trap of making a minor feature and then completely overusing it to justify the amount of time spent on it.

I do think they still add more to the game than complete silence, but based on the video the characters just seem to be a bit too talkative. I'd be completely fine with it if there was a slider or some other setting to control how frequently they'd say one of the random voice lines.

Mitleser2020

Scholar
Yeah, I also thought the voice lines appeared far too frequently. I don't think I'd mind it that much if it was a simple confirmation like "Yeah" or "mhm" but the voice lines in the video seem to be musings and random statements about whatever the fuck is going on.
I guess Larian fell for the design pit fall trap of making a minor feature and then completely overusing it to justify the amount of time spent on it.

I do think they still add more to the game than complete silence, but based on the video the characters just seem to be a bit too talkative. I'd be completely fine with it if there was a slider or some other setting to control how frequently they'd say one of the random voice lines.

Did you read the most recent BG3 community update?

Speaking of dialogue, let’s take a look at our new Point and Click dialogue system. This is something fans have been asking for from the beginning: Your character will now speak as you click through the world, reacting to the story and environment around them in real-time. A lot of recording power went into making this feature come alive - not only is the dialogue context-sensitive, it also changes depending on which character you're playing. But, of course, if you're of the 'less talk, more game' philosophy then there is an audio option to change the frequency of their barks.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
The removal of the advantage when attacking from behind is great news.
But did they remove it or just replace it with this "hide when you are behind the enemy" thing? You just need another click. I guess you can't do it when you are in direct line of sight of another enemy, but that's small comfort, and it's still not allowed imo.
Last time I played the EA, stealth was so fundamentally broken that I don't really consider it part of the game. Unless they fixed it, you can do all sort of nonsensical shit (roam around the map for two hours while the enemies wait for their turn, attack an enemy from outside his vision range and slowly consume his health while he waits for his inevitable death). Being able to sneak behind an enemy is just the tip of the iceberg.

I really hope they fix it, though. They could start from allowing characters to see in every direction during combat (exactly like it works in PnP since forever) and forcing hidden characters to act according to the initiative order. I know this would break the multiplayer, but I really don't care.

The worst thing about it is that, at least in that video, those voice lines drown out the companions' lines, which are more rare and interesting. They should AT LEAST add a very simple check to avoid that.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Great news indeed. This advantage from behind thing is utterly retarded.
So this rogue in the video uses hide as a bonus action and thus gains an advantage, am i right? What’s wrong in this mechanic speaking of D&D?

Lacrymas

Arcane
So this rogue in the video uses hide as a bonus action and thus gains an advantage, am i right? What’s wrong in this mechanic speaking of D&D?
It simply doesn't work like this and it's obviously overpowered. When in combat, the enemy is assumed to be looking in, or at least be aware of, all directions. In 3.5E, you needed Hide in Plain Sight (the feat that f.e. Shadowdancer gets) for that. I don't think you can do it in 5E at all.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Great news indeed. This advantage from behind thing is utterly retarded.
There's nothing wrong with that, provided that the Rogue can only hide when the enemy doesn't see him or a specific feature allows him to hide (for example, Lightfoot Halflings can hide even if the enemy has line of sight if they stands behind a larger creature, and Wood Elves can hide whenever they're surrounded by natural phenomena like rain, snow, or mist).

In this case, the problem is how BG3 handles monsters' vision cones: everyone should be able to see behind their backs.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Did you read the most recent BG3 community update?

Speaking of dialogue, let’s take a look at our new Point and Click dialogue system. This is something fans have been asking for from the beginning: Your character will now speak as you click through the world, reacting to the story and environment around them in real-time. A lot of recording power went into making this feature come alive - not only is the dialogue context-sensitive, it also changes depending on which character you're playing. But, of course, if you're of the 'less talk, more game' philosophy then there is an audio option to change the frequency of their barks.
I did not. That's honestly great to hear, I'm glad they thought of that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom