Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer 2

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
If I hadn't spent >500h of playtime on WH I + II, I'd be really angry with pricing and lack of good bundle deals for WH on Steam.
All the dlc and the base games are on sale often enough that they're basically permanently 50% off.
Not entirely true.
The more recent DLCs have a smaller discount. Warden and the paunch was only 20% off, iirc.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
But these are good things, makes building a wall or not a choice.

Outside of the teleporting Ritual armies, but that has other problems.
Except it's not actually a choice, because the alternative to a wall is a lost settlement to a surprise trash stack.
If they wanted to make it a choice they should have gone with the Bretonnian route by default - you can have walls for free, but your garrison will be weak.

But plenty of provinces aren't susceptible to a surprise attack, especially once you start expanding.

I disagree, since sieges are annoying, imagine having to siege every enemy settlement. And the player is also much better at defending than the AI, so it would be another advantage.

Except Beastmen hordes will literally spawn in your territory, the AI will land on your coast and enemy stacks will walk past your fortifications to attack your unwalled settlements deep in your territory. Settlements are always susceptible to attack.
Sieges in Warhammer are pretty crap to play, but that's what autoresolve is for. I manually defended, both in losing battles and winning, a lot more times than attacking.

But that's exactly what I meant, sieges give a huge advantage to the player. The less of them the better.

If they walk past your settlements you can either spawn a new lord or defend with an existing one. T3 walls quickly aren't enough to defend against a stack anyway, outside of some races.

But T3 walls are enough to buy you enough time to get your lord to that settlement.
It takes about 2 turns to make a decent stack, potentially more if you don't have enough recruitment slots.
That's plenty of time for an enemy army to force march into your territory and nuke a settlement, and that's assuming they don't just spawn out of nothing like Beastmen event stacks can do. Skaven and Beastmen also have a tendency to spam ambush stance when on the move, so even if they do invade from outside your territory you won't know about it because the detection mechanics are silly.

_V_

Scholar
If I hadn't spent >500h of playtime on WH I + II, I'd be really angry with pricing and lack of good bundle deals for WH on Steam.
All the dlc and the base games are on sale often enough that they're basically permanently 50% off.
True. Your point?
I'd expect "Gold" versions of WH I by now. Instead the base game costs 60€ (just checked. WTF?!? I bought it for 45€ at release, IIRC. Definately not 60€.)
DLCs cost 76€ all combined.
That's 136€ for a complete five year old game. I think the base game is on sale for more than 50% every once in a while. So every once in a while you might be able to snag it for ~50€.
I'd "expect" a gold version for 40€ with extra sales every once in a while. Or the possibility to buy missing DLCs for similar bundle prices.
Similar for WH II.

If I still sailed the high seas, this'd be definately a game that I like but still pirate. Purely due to pricing policy.
If you don't mind the pricing scheme, good for you. I still think it's ridiculous.

Mazisky

Magister
True. Your point?
I'd expect "Gold" versions of WH I by now. Instead the base game costs 60€ (just checked. WTF?!? I bought it for 45€ at release, IIRC. Definately not 60€.)
DLCs cost 76€ all combined.
That's 136€ for a complete five year old game. I think the base game is on sale for more than 50% every once in a while. So every once in a while you might be able to snag it for ~50€.
I'd "expect" a gold version for 40€ with extra sales every once in a while. Or the possibility to buy missing DLCs for similar bundle prices.
Similar for WH II.

If I still sailed the high seas, this'd be definately a game that I like but still pirate. Purely due to pricing policy.
If you don't mind the pricing scheme, good for you. I still think it's ridiculous.

I've bought both WH 1 and 2 on Instant Gaming for a total of 20 €

The meta for modern popular games seems to be keeping them at full price as long as they are remotely relevant and only offering temporary discounts. Out of the whole crowd of people buying the game years after release there's probably a good number of price-insensitive people who decide they want to play WH2 and then buy all of the DLC including WH1 at full price. WH1 is still effectively DLC for WH2 and WH3 and may even stay full price until WH3 development is ended.

The fact that they release DLCs like the upcoming one that add content to previous races probably means that it makes them a lot of money in people who also go back to buy the old legendary lords for Beastmen and so on.

Last edited:

zapotec

Liturgist
Looks like that beastmen will have an unit cap!

Unit capacity
  • Perhaps the biggest difference between the other factions of the world and the Beastmen is the use of unit caps. Much like various regiments of renown, you can only have a certain number of each type of unit in your Beastmen armies. There will be many opportunities to increase these caps as you advance and expand.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
The first and only WARHAMMER unit with a precursor weapon – fires explosive darts as it charges, messing up infantry lines.

I like how they finally remembered how to program infantry to fire into combat as they charge, something they did in Rome 1.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
That's because of Denuvo. They can charge big money without fear of piracy, thus they are charging big money.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
That's because of Denuvo. They can charge big money without fear of piracy, thus they are charging big money.
They worked out how to crack Denuvo though.
Denuvo literally does nothing except negatively affect performance and make things harder for the customer. They keep using it because corporates are gits and denuvo has a stake in it.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
WHI crack was done before they introduced Norsca, thus WHI has only old cracked version. (A version that has 0 delay for rebuying regiments of renown, thus fighting against late game empire is PITA.)
WHII cracks were made by voksi, during his crusade against Denuvo and murdering proper computer games, and to fight against fucking customer. He nearly destroyed Denuvo company, but he didn't even tried to hide himself, thus he was forced to stop. Newer versions are done by Empress. Who is less ideological, but hides itself better.

WHI crack was done before they introduced Norsca, thus WHI has only old cracked version. (A version that has 0 delay for rebuying regiments of renown, thus fighting against late game empire is PITA.)
WHII cracks were made by voksi, during his crusade against Denuvo and murdering proper computer games, and to fight against fucking customer. He nearly destroyed Denuvo company, but he didn't even tried to hide himself, thus he was forced to stop. Newer versions are done by Empress. Who is less ideological, but hides itself better.

No one is cracking WH1 because the DLC cracks for WH2 get you all WH1 content without needing to own WH1.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The patching process for TW games is so goddamn retarded. A 6gb update for a DLC that's just a bit of art, a handful models* and statistics changes.

*AND ONE ENTIRE CHARLEMAGNE

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Clipboard02.jpg

New autoresolve working great...

The dwarven rune stuff is amazing. Just the first rune, rune of speed, is amazing. +24 melee attack and +45% speed for 30s when overcast. What's important is that the radius is HUGE at 40M. Even at the largest army size on ultra unit scale you can get most of your army under this effect if you box up. And you can just spam this constantly with both Thorek and his runesmith since they are on separate cooldowns and don't need winds of magic. Granted you need like 4 casters to have 100% uptime but just starting out with 60s of an incredible buff is huge and seems like it should make dwarven melee viable in VH battle difficulty. There's also an AoE explosion ability that seems pretty good and does AP damage when overcast, haven't had a chance to test it against anything beefy though.

Haven't crafted anything yet but the stuff you can craft actually looks very good and dwarves are going to be able to field some seriously powerful lords now. Collecting runegold is now quite important.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
The patching process for TW games is so goddamn retarded. A 6gb update for a DLC that's just a bit of art, a handful models* and statistics changes.

*AND ONE ENTIRE CHARLEMAGNE
Denuvo protection. They can't deencrypt files on the fly, that would allow modders to get at models.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom