Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

Duraframe300

Arcane
So, same GUI as before, just no plugins and some new options.

Yeah, as mentioned they basically just integrated the already existing plugins into the core and cleaned up code along the way. New features (especially DEV9/USB) have been worked on independently for a while. They're still working plenty on clean up and rewrites, as they have done for years. 1.8 is probably coming soon now. Would expect it before the end of the year.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Continuing with my collection.This took longer then expected and i have added manuals to my previous collection posts.

It is finally mac time.Warning it is a big collection(20+gb)
This is going to be broken into multiple folders because of size.
Os collection:
https://mega.nz/file/VCBBACgI#JLFdIMWuuhhO6E-AcI3IXFd9Z_Z6dTW9kE_0DNahXFI
Emu + tools:
https://mega.nz/file/ZbRTlKCb#yavjEpkjQUxzimo-RYFmRJ84wBG4NE6d0aMoHP9yM0A
Games folder link with genres broken into single zips because of size:
https://mega.nz/folder/0CJX1YIY#_AbrCZMUf4Mxe55T3ILoOw

What does this pack include:
All three pre mac osx emu's.
-MiniVmac is going to be used for really old shit.(basically if there is no color use minivmac)
Preffered os is system 6.
-Basilisk ii for anything with color and pre 1997.
Performa and quadra mac ii roms included since they are prefered.
It is designed for system 7 but can run early system 8.
-Sheepshaver for power pc stuff(past 97 games).
It is designed for os 8-9,9 is preffered.

-Various old and new world mac roms.
-Tools you will need for a variety of games/stuff.

-Os 6-8.1.
System 6 is used for black and white stuff,no compromise.
System 7 is your primary pre 1995 os.You are gonna have to change between 7.5 and 7.6 for some games.
System 8 is here if you want to experience a modern mac os.

-Various docs about mac emu and emulation setups.

-Games before mac os 9. Most of the games will be 1984-1997.Most windows ports that are identical or worse will not be included.
Most files are in sit format and require you to install stuffit in the emu that is included and then unstuff them within the emulated system.You can try running the windows tools i found but it can corrupt files.Some files are going to be in a cd/image format,there are docs included in how to mount them.

Rpg/strategy games with simulation games about managagment and naval stuff.Also included are action/adventure games with rpg elements and stealth games.
-Manuals for some games
-Txt Faq's from gamefaq.

Next one is going to be the amstrad cpc.But that will come mid next week considering i need a break after dealing with mac emulation.

Edit:
Removed system 9 and later system 8 images because past 1997 the mac does not do enough to make it worthwhile, port wise.
Removed the fps part because system shock source ports and enhanced edition beats this and is easier to run.
Removed action and adventure because Zork is a text adventure game that looks the same on everything anf gemstone warrior does not differentiate itself enough from the other ports..

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
BROs, first problem:

I have no sound at all on all audio drivers except dsound

has been fixed. :)

Since I have 2 sound output devices: Realtek HD Audio + Nvidia HDA (disabled), I was trying to find out if Retroarch didn't mix them up.

To do that, I've enabled logs in "Logging":

d0zDfeM.jpg

If this section is missing, enable it in "User Interface":

9Qwkxrt.jpg

After running a game, I got something like this in .log:

Code:
[INFO] [XAudio2]: Fallback, device index is a single number index instead: -1.
[ERROR] Failed to init XAudio2.
[ERROR] Failed to initialize audio driver. Will continue without audio.
[ERROR] failed_to_start_audio_driver

So it looks like it was indeed some device-related error. Since my "Device" entry in the "Sound - Output" menu was empty:

qpnATBC.jpg

I've put "-1" there:

rLGNNgl.jpg

And guess what - it worked!

#aintevenmad

So, kids - always check your .log files before bitching on the internets about something not working.

Last edited:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Minor complaint, because some of the zips only contain one game it feels silly to have them under genre. I was actually surprised at the FPS one, since Pathways into Darkness is a RPG/FPS hybrid IIRC and its one of the few really good Mac-exclusive titles.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Minor complaint, because some of the zips only contain one game it feels silly to have them under genre. I was actually surprised at the FPS one, since Pathways into Darkness is a RPG/FPS hybrid IIRC and its one of the few really good Mac-exclusive titles.
The fps part was a last minute addition because of the system shock port.
The action/adventure ones are basically the leftovers from my previous classification of very few action/adventure games with rpg elements according to moby/gamefaq.
You can thank moby for me not including pathway into darkness since there is no mention of rpg elements.

Unfortunately,this is gonna happen because i am using moby/game faq and they are far from perfect.But it is the only semi accurate tool i have for a quick copy paste then sort.

Xie Ma

Literate
Hello, newbie here.

I’d like to ask if you guys know if there are some legit PSVITA emulators floating around the net? I see some stuff on the net but I’m 99% sure it’s fake. Maybe you guys have some info about this stuff.

mogwaimon

Magister
I don't even think there's a legit Vita emulation project that's publicly available. Could be wrong, but I don't think I am. You'd be better off getting a PSTV and hacking it if you're keen on doing VITA games

Derringer

Prophet
Hello, newbie here.

I’d like to ask if you guys know if there are some legit PSVITA emulators floating around the net? I see some stuff on the net but I’m 99% sure it’s fake. Maybe you guys have some info about this stuff.
Possibly never at this rate, given the climate today and that most of anything relevant that isn't Gravity Daze has already been ported to PC.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
I just want to play Lumines Electronic Symphony! Is that too much to ask!?

:negative:

Perkel

Arcane
There is Vita emulator but it only plays for now homebrew and can boot (but not play) some indies. And yeah Lumines Electronic Symphony is legit good timewaster.

Hellraiser

Arcane
I don't even think there's a legit Vita emulation project that's publicly available. Could be wrong, but I don't think I am. You'd be better off getting a PSTV and hacking it if you're keen on doing VITA games

Might as well get the later handheld model with LCD and a better battery (although it still runs out after ~6 hours) if you go the hacked hardware route, although I'm not sure which go for less on eBay. Unless there is a comparable difference in difficulty of hacking a PS VITA vs a PSTV. I consider the portability as good added value, especially considering it can also smoothly run PS1 and PSP through hardware emulation (although not everything might work, but I didn't have any major issues so far, apart from the lack of a proper L2/R2 button for more arcade/twitch titles that use those) plus the usual fare of emulating SNES+Genesis and weaker systems.

I just want to play Lumines Electronic Symphony! Is that too much to ask!?

:negative:
You can play Lumines Remastered on a Switch emulator. I think it's a remake of the very first game, though. I've never played Electronic Symphony so don't know how it would compare.

Last edited:

flyingjohn

Arcane
Anybody interested in win 3.x emulation?
Here is a handy guide with everything automated,you only need the original win3.x floppies(winworld is your drug dealer here).
http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/win31dosbox.html
I will not be making a collection because it is too big,but i will give a list in the spoiler for games that follow my criteria if you are interested.This is from the exowin collection.
Achtung Spitfire (1997).zip
Age of Sail (1996).zip
Air Havoc Controller (1994).zip
Allied General (1995).zip
American Civil War - From Sumter to Appomattox (1996).zip
Battle Chess (1991).zip
Battle Isle 2220 - Shadow of the Emperor (1996).zip
Battleground - Ardennes (1995).zip
Battleground 2 - Gettysburg (1996).zip
Battleground 3 - Waterloo (1996).zip
Battleground 4 - Shiloh (1996).zip
Battleground 5 - Antietam (1996).zip
Battleground 6 - Napoleon in Russia (1997).zip
Battleground 7 - Bull Run (1997).zip
Battleground 8 - Prelude to Waterloo (1997).zip
Battleship (1998).zip
BattleStar (1996).zip
Betrayal in Antara (1997).zip
Big One, The (1994).zip
Blades of Exile (1999).zip
Castle of the Winds (1993).zip
Chessmaster 3000, The (1991).zip
Chessmaster 4000 Turbo, The (1993).zip
Computer Edition of Risk, The - The World Conquest Game (1991).zip
Corporate Pursuit (1996).zip
Daleks (1991).zip
Deadlock - Planetary Conquest (1996).zip
Doonesbury Election Game Campaign '96, The (1995).zip
Dracula in London (1993).zip
Enemy Nations (1996).zip
Exile - Escape from the Pit (1995).zip
Exile II - Crystal Souls (1996).zip
Exile III - Ruined World (1996).zip
Expert Chess (1994).zip
Fields of Battle (1995).zip
Flight Commander 2 (1994).zip
GayBlade (1992).zip
Gazillionaire (1994).zip
Gazillionaire Deluxe (1997).zip
Gettysburg - Multimedia Battle Simulation (1994).zip
Grant - Lee - Sherman - Civil War 2 - Generals (1997).zip
Harpoon Classic (1995).zip
High Command (1992).zip
Holiday Island (1996).zip
Iron Helix (1993).zip
Legions (1994).zip
list.txt
Metal Marines (1994).zip
Metal Marines Master Edition (1995).zip
Millennium Auction (1994).zip
Mordor - The Depths of Dejenol (1995).zip
Oregon Trail II (1995).zip
Oregon Trail II - 25th Anniversary Limited Edition (1996).zip
Oregon Trail, The (1993).zip
Outpost (1994).zip
Over the Reich (1996).zip
P.T.O. - Pacific Theater of Operations II (1996).zip
Pirates! Gold (1994).zip
Power - The Game (1995).zip
Power Politics (1992).zip
Powerhouse (1995).zip
Profitania (1998).zip
Proliferation (1995).zip
Quest for Glory IV - Shadows of Darkness (1993).zip
Rise and Rule of Ancient Empires, The (1996).zip
Robert E Lee - Civil War General (1996).zip
Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV - Wall of Fire (1996).zip
Sid Meier's Civilization (1993).zip
Sid Meier's Civilization II (1996).zip
Sid Meier's Civilization II - The Collector's Edition (1996).zip
Sid Meier's Colonization (1994).zip
SimAnt - The Electronic Ant Colony (1991).zip
SimCity (1992).zip
SimCity 2000 - CD Collection (1993).zip
SimEarth - The Living Planet (1990).zip
SimFarm (1996).zip
SimLife (1992).zip
SimPark (1996).zip
SimTower - The Vertical Empire (1995).zip
SimTown (1995).zip
Slay (1995).zip
Space Bucks (1996).zip
Spaceward Ho! (1992).zip
Stardate 2140.2 - Crusade in Space (1994).zip
Stars! (1996).zip
This Means War! (1996).zip
Tower (1995).zip
Tracon for Windows (1993).zip
Vikings - The Strategy of Ultimate Conquest (1996).zip
Warhammer - Shadow of the Horned Rat (1996).zip
Warpath (1994).zip
WinRisk (1992).zip
WinTrek (1992).zip
WinTrek 2.0 (1992).zip
World Empire II (1992).zip
World Empire III (1994).zip
World Empire IV (1996).zip
Zapitalism (1996).zip

Don Peste

Arcane
There's also this: https://www.retro-exo.com/win3x.html
wintitle.jpg

V1 was known as Win3xO, however the project has been renamed to fit within the other projects we are releasing. V1 was released in 2015 using MEAGRE as the front end, and it was compatible with eXoDOS v3 which was released around the same time. eXoWin3x has been modified to run in LaunchBox and is compatible with eXoDOS v5.

This pack includes 1,138 Windows 3x games. Windows 3x was an "operating environment" that ran on DOS. It preceded Windows 95 which was a proper operating system and did not run on DOS (although it had a DOS mode it could pass over to when needed). While Windows 3.x (the X standing for either 3.0, 3.1, or 3.11) ran on DOS, it was much more capable of running multi media content. As CD-ROMs were just beginning to become main stream at this time, this led to an influx of reference, productivity, educational, and FMV games released for the platform.

The focus of the main project is on games & MPC CD-ROMs that were either released in English or are fairly easy to play without a knowledge of their native language. This project is a bit different in scope from eXoDOS in that it extends beyond just games. This is primarily due to the fact that the variety of commercial releases for this platform were much more varied and much less preserved.

The software included in eXoWin3x is already setup using DOSBox, with a handful of games relying on VHD's due to their need of true DOS 6.22 files. The launching of games is seamless for the end user however, and no prior knowledge of DOSBox is required.

spekkio

Arcane
BROs, how about a nice cup of testing? ;)

rpcs3 on default settings, Vulkan renderer, V-Sync on, Internal Res ("Resolution Scale") x2.

Drakengard 3

Enabled 60 FPS Patch, which also requires "VBlank Frequency = 120 Hz".

LA9orQ3.jpg

LR2lpMR.jpg

Game works fine @ 60 FPS, some slowdowns / shader compiling, but whatev.

omX6hSz.jpg

:obviously:

Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom

Enabled 60 FPS via "VBlank Frequency = 120 Hz". Nothing more needed.

xTVGVaG.jpg

oU9haul.jpg

Below 30% of the CPU usage. :obviously:

Wipeout HD Fury

Runs @ 60 FPS natively.

6wTiDj2.jpg

F27etfq.jpg

The only tested game that puts my CPU to the test (~80% of the CPU). Plus visible slowdowns. :(

Folklore

Runs below 30 FPS during regular gameplay, despite anabling the 60 FPS patch + "Framelimit = 50" (as suggested in patch's description). But this game is supposedly known for having "variable" framerate.

:decline:

N09YVIN.jpg

N5sHUau.jpg

Ae9AFG3.jpg

But it runs without errors, 60 FPS during dialogues / map / etc. Weird.

Deception 4 - The Nightmare Princess

Game works fine, but since it's some weird PSN to Disc re-pack, the 01.01 Update is nowhere to be found (somebody savvy would have to decrypt a PSN update and modify it to be compatible with the "disc" release). :(

JfeiYDa.jpg

pVFV6DM.jpg

Enabling the 60 FPS mode via "VBlank Frequency = 120 Hz" works fine, but the game runs at double speed with it. I think some additional memory patching may be required for it to work properly.

cU0gPVz.jpg

But boobs bounce twice as fast too...

:bounce:

Odin Sphere - Leifthrasir

Runs @ 60 FPS natively.

YShih8H.jpg

o4fYMrT.jpg

:love:

Nier

Enabled 60 FPS via patch. Remember to set up proper options too.

K7Z4vyR.jpg

jsCBPrN.jpg

Papa Nier in the house, bitches! There are some problems with shadows (remember this famous problem with Unreal Enigine? - looks the same). Maybe it's caused by increased internal res, though...
So, it looks that I can play almost any PS3 game I want on my current rig.

xYT5j5U.jpg

At 60 FPS and in enhanced resolution.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Nostaljaded

Savant
spekkio said:
- Gigabyte H81M-S1 / i7 4790 / 16 GB DDR3 1600 MHz / SATA SSD
If you have an unused monitor/TV, your Win7 comp with its iGPU is more than capable of running old games and emulate older gen console games (up to PS2, Wii, PSP & NDS).

My essential software currently are still supported in Win7, so on track of skipping DDR4 (like I skipped DDR2) & Win8/10 (if I need Windows to run certain software by then).
Using an Intel 7th Gen rig while waiting to see how Win11 turns out. Will take the lesser of 2 evils if I have to eventually. :negative:

flyingjohn

Arcane
Continuing with my collection with the armstrad cpc.
https://mega.nz/file/RCgwyRBL#_GVOdAuRsf8YKtY2NWTuK1Z21bULK0r3fh9Wyi8zEzo

-Retroarch caprice32 fork core.Crocods is obsolete.
Caprice with the newest forks.
Winape if caprice doesn't work.
Wanted to include arnold,but i have not found any links on the new updated forks.

-Various os for the cpc.
-Various docs about armstrad cpc emu's and emulation setups.

-Rpg/strategy games with simulation games about managagment and naval stuff.Also included are action/adventure games
with rpg elements and stealth games.
-Txt Faq's from gamefaq.

Next one is going to be the atari 8 bit family.

Edit:Changed action and adventure folders by putting them into their respective elements(rpg or strategy).
Stealth remains its own folder.

Last edited:

Puukko

Arcane
Recent ryujinx updates have been more miss than hit. Some update in June tanked XBC DE performance until it recently returned to normal. XBC 2 meanwhile is back to unplayable framerates. I've also been having issues where games would refuse to boot up after crashing - booting a different game seems to help with this? Except for Catherine which is giving me the silent treatment after I successfully booted it once.

One update released today made changes to saves which apparently resulted in corruption for some people so they pulled that change with another update. I backed up my saves and haven't encountered any issues like that though.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Continuing with my collection with the atari 8 bit:
https://mega.nz/file/pb5imQAZ#PvU9j49i6FTanXGK_gVCgOkYLH95lt-5HoxgjB6eQu4

-Retroarch atari 600 core with firmware.
Altirra,atari600 and atari ++ emu's. Altirra is your best option.
-Firmware needed to run on emu.
-Various os for the atari 8 bit.
-Various docs about atari 8 bit emu's and emulation setups.

-Rpg/strategy games with simulation games about managagment and naval stuff.Also included are action/adventure games with rpg elements and stealth games.
-Manuals for some games
-Txt Faq's from gamefaq.
*IMPORTANTE INFORMACIONE:
IF A GAME HAS BASIC IN ITS TITLE,DISABLE THE OPTION TO DISABLE BASIC AT STARTUP AND REBOOT."

Next one is going to be the atari st.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Continuing with my collection with the atari ST:
https://mega.nz/file/hGokhT4Z#GFqLKkOeZjkQX-rj4ILFXNPK_qKEvBf24cLK9Eci0P0

-Retroarch hatari core with firmware.
Hatari and steem sse emu.Pick whatever you want.

-Various os.Included unofficial emutos. Highly recommended to not use it though.
-Various docs about Atari st emu's.

-Rpg/strategy games with simulation games about management and naval stuff.Also included are action/adventure games with rpg elements and stealth games.
-Txt Faq's from gamefaq.

Next one is going to be the commodore 64.That is going to come mid next week considering the size of the library.

Alter Sack

Magister
Here is a handy guide with everything automated,you only need the original win3.x floppies(winworld is your drug dealer here).
I will not be making a collection because it is too big,but i will give a list in the spoiler for games that follow my criteria if you are interested.This is from the exowin collection.
Age of Sail (1996).zip
Battle Chess (1991).zip
Battleship (1998).zip
BattleStar (1996).zip
Big One, The (1994).zip
Daleks (1991).zip
Enemy Nations (1996).zip
Expert Chess (1994).zip
GayBlade (1992).zip
Gazillionaire (1994).zip
High Command (1992).zip
Iron Helix (1993).zip
Legions (1994).zip
list.txt
Metal Marines (1994).zip
Outpost (1994).zip
Pirates! Gold (1994).zip
Powerhouse (1995).zip
Profitania (1998).zip
Proliferation (1995).zip
SimCity (1992).zip
SimFarm (1996).zip
SimLife (1992).zip
SimPark (1996).zip
SimTown (1995).zip
Slay (1995).zip
Space Bucks (1996).zip
Spaceward Ho! (1992).zip
Stars! (1996).zip
Tower (1995).zip
Warpath (1994).zip
WinRisk (1992).zip
WinTrek (1992).zip
WinTrek 2.0 (1992).zip
Zapitalism (1996).zip

Honest question: Is there a reason to emulate win 3.X?

I only remember that back in the day win 3.X was kind of shit for games and I basically only played dos games until win95.

Are there games that work better (or only) in win 3.X than in dos or win95?

flyingjohn

Arcane
Age of Sail (1996).zip
Battle Chess (1991).zip
Battleship (1998).zip
BattleStar (1996).zip
Big One, The (1994).zip
Daleks (1991).zip
Enemy Nations (1996).zip
Expert Chess (1994).zip
GayBlade (1992).zip
Gazillionaire (1994).zip
High Command (1992).zip
Iron Helix (1993).zip
Legions (1994).zip
list.txt
Metal Marines (1994).zip
Outpost (1994).zip
Pirates! Gold (1994).zip
Powerhouse (1995).zip
Profitania (1998).zip
Proliferation (1995).zip
SimCity (1992).zip
SimFarm (1996).zip
SimLife (1992).zip
SimPark (1996).zip
SimTown (1995).zip
Slay (1995).zip
Space Bucks (1996).zip
Spaceward Ho! (1992).zip
Stars! (1996).zip
Tower (1995).zip
Warpath (1994).zip
WinRisk (1992).zip
WinTrek (1992).zip
WinTrek 2.0 (1992).zip
Zapitalism (1996).zip

Honest question: Is there a reason to emulate win 3.X?

I only remember that back in the day win 3.X was kind of shit for games and I basically only played dos games until win95.

Are there games that work better (or only) in win 3.X than in dos or win95?

Depends on your tastes.
There are specific strategy/simulation games that do not have a dos counterpart.
Like let's say simtower,no dos or normal windows version.

Check my list of games and if something catches you eye you can check if it has a windows/dos port.If not,you are gonna have to emulate.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Depends on your tastes.
There are specific strategy/simulation games that do not have a dos counterpart.
Like let's say simtower,no dos or normal windows version.

Check my list of games and if something catches you eye you can check if it has a windows/dos port.If not,you are gonna have to emulate.
Its worth checking out to see if the title in question works in a later version of Windows first. I remember Simtower working in XP, possibly even Windows 8. I remember getting a lot of early Windows to work in XP. A few will work only in 3.X, but its rare. I have a copy of Cosmology of Kyoto in a 3.X emulator, but that's just how I found it, I haven't tested it in a later emulator.

Puukko

Arcane
Right, I completed FE3H on ryujinx. That was a very long game so I figured I should write a summary on what the experience was like and what kind of problems to expect with the current state of the emulator.

Overall rating? 3/5, it's alright. The issues are mostly minor and I did not encounter any game breaking issues or other major hurdles that would seriously have hampered enjoyment of the game. The big upsides of playing the game like this (beyond the obvious) are the graphical improvements. I exclusively played at 2x resolution (~1440p?), with the 60 fps patch enabled and usually with post processing via Gshade (Reshade). The result is visually a much cleaner and up to date presentation compared to OG hardware. This game in particular has a fairly drab and desaturated look which I made much more interesting (to my tastes) with color grading/HDR, slight bloom, AA and sharpening. I posted some screenshots in that thread the other day. In practice a lot of the effects don't work correctly as they've been made with PC games in mind, so finding a good mix of effects was a fair bit of trial and error.

Obviously, there are hurdles. The most noticeable graphical issue is the glitched skyboxes which are immediately apparent, but luckily only really visible during battle animations, otherwise you won't be staring at the sky. Bumping up the resolution comes with a very modest nominal 5 fps cost, but this was measured when the emulated GPU pipeline wasn't hitting its limit - I suspect the difference is greater in those scenarios, but the only thing that would have made me consider dropping the resolution would have been game breaking issues and unacceptable performance. As it was, it wasn't always pretty, but it was certainly playable. Performance varied anywhere between 20-60 fps.

Now, crashes. I started with the POWER fork from May which I used for a couple weeks before updating in late June. Going from that fork to the latest version then resulted in a big reduction in random crashes, I would say in the range of 75%. I only ever remember encountering two mid battle crashes and these were many many versions and a hundred gameplay hours apart.

On the topic of updating to newer versions, it's a mixed bag. Updating that first time to a version that was over a month newer was definitely worth it as it brought stability and slight bumps to performance. Afterwards, not so much. I took a habit of updating every 2-3 days and found no discernible improvements, but instead new problems in the form of launch issues. The game would quite often refuse to launch until some combination of rebooting/launching other games/repeatedly trying would fix it. Also, I noticed some updates drastically reduced performance on the other games I had installed but wasn't actively playing. I'd say it's recommended to always back up known working builds when updating in case something goes wrong since to my knowledge there's no way to download old builds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom