Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
who do u need to explain your class selection in a vidya game to tho
Valerie has spent most of the game so far summoning fire and enchanting bandits nothing more than the sheer force of her personality while complaining about her personal magnetism every time I accidentally talk to her. At first it seemed humble but now I am beginning to wonder if she is some sort of simulacrum

My Valerie talked a lot about her time in the order and how she was a great fighter and her portrait had her clad in a great big suit of armor. None of that seemed to have any impact on how she played when I respecced her to a monk to try out some stuff, and I didn't recall anyone I had to explain myself to

It certainly was more fun than her vanilla build tho

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
if she is some sort of simulacrum
Her INT is 9. Give her a break.

It's amusing that she's literally a "dumb blonde" stereotype in a game that's otherwise trying to be politically correct.

Also, if they were going to go down that route, they could have at least tried to make her portrait look actually, you know, pretty, instead of mannish. Guess that would have clashed with another politically correct narrative :)

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
trying to be politically correct.
This is getting old. Everybody who played further than Act 3 and is able to read and understand the dialogues knows that the game is quite far from Western political correctness. And the default portrait of Valerie reflects both her reluctance to exploit her beauty and the practicality of a person who prefers to fight in full armor, including helmets. She even tells that when asked about her service with Aldori: that she does not like Aldori dueling style and prefers to block the blows instead of dodging.

There is a woman who actually cares about her looks, who spends great deal of time and effort to that, and who complains about her hair and "a broken nail". And her portrait is very pretty. But she is perceived as a "thot" or a polyamorous abomination.

Western players are dumb like that.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
This is getting old. Everybody who played further than Act 3 and is able to read and understand the dialogues knows that the game is quite far from Western political correctness. And the default portrait of Valerie reflects both her reluctance to exploit her beauty and the practicality of a person who prefers to fight in full armor, including helmets. She even tells that when asked about her service with Aldori: that she does not like Aldori dueling style and prefers to block the blows instead of dodging.

There is a woman who actually cares about her looks, who spends great deal of time and effort to that, and who complains about her hair and "a broken nail". And her portrait is very pretty. But she is perceived as a "thot" or a polyamorous abomination.

I'm on record elsewhere as acknowledging that the game has some subtleties in the writing. The way I see it, it looks to me that while the mandate was politically correct, the writers were more interested at that time in character development and story, so that took precedence. Also, it was still possible then to have nuanced, intelligent writing.

Will you be able to say the same for the follow-up game? I look forward to finding out, but I don't hold out much hope.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
In Denmark, we have a saying. Unsure if it also exists in English: “To a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” I am reminded of this everytime a Codexer sees political correctness in every game element everywhere

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In Denmark, we have a saying. Unsure if it also exists in English: “To a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” I am reminded of this everytime a Codexer sees political correctness in every game element everywhere
It does. I mean the saying.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

We have a saying in English: "there's none so blind as those who will not see." :)

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In

:deathclaw: Ah yes, the nuanced non-PC quandaries of a woman fighting in melee and taking blows head-on in plate armour.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
And I see it as subversion of Western tropes. Especially in the change of skin colors.

Regongar and Octavia are former slaves, they behave like former slaves, they have issues as former slaves would have - but one is green and the other is a hot white redhead and a half-elf to boot. So they are perceived not as slaves, but as a gay insert, a bisexual insert, and a "breaking traditional marriage" insert.

Ekundayo is a classic immigrant. His first job is as close to a New York taxi driver as it could be in the River Kingdoms. And then his personal tragedy is identical to the fate of a white Irish farmer in the Middle West or a white Ukrainian farmer in Canada - an attack of angry local nomads. But he is black, and so he is perceived as if the trolls who killed his family were some kind of racist KKK mob instead of aborigines on steroids.

Last edited:
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Regongar and Octavia are former slaves, they behave like former slaves, they have issues as former slaves would have - but one is green and the other is a hot white redhead and a half-elf to boot. So they are perceived not as slaves, but as a gay insert, a bisexual insert, and a "breaking traditional marriage" insert.
Kingmaker just has so many layers of cringe D&D soy garbage.... but don't worry, one of them is a subversive commentary!

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Kingmaker has huge lore, but there's too many copypasted gods and places that no one will memorize because they are uninteresting and don't influence the core plot. It will pop once in some side quest and then vanish from the world and storymaking forever.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I don't accept or even sympathize with these women ironclad fighter/barbarian characters. I find it fake and superfluous so i disregard the story around them and their yabbering. Just like you would suspend your belief if Jenkem started a chat with you and told you about satanic portal under your bed -let him talk and only ask about essence of the matter to end the quest and further down the story. So far jubilost is most reasonable character, albeit while claiming that truth is the most important for him, not fake appeareance, he still do the PR stuff like wearing glasses to have easier time to share his wisdom among his audience.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
The analogy wasn't talking about ingame world. And yes we construe and respond to things in game through the lenses of our own experience, our own real world, our inclinations, upbringing and ideologies we currently adhere or the one that resonate with us. Even in fantasy if something is too batshit improbable, insane, i just write it as shitty lore, shitty writing and generally a shock value to the crowd called "that was deep MAAAAAN, proper mindfuck, i need to smoke a joint" dumbfucks.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Well we are discussing PC game here not pathfinder tabeltop. Idk what's your point?
In the world of Golarion and its encompassing lore gods, demons and other powers have their complete stories. In a short story of taming the Stolen Lands - which happens in the small part of the world of Golarion - some of those entities have the main role, some have brief appearances, and some are only mentioned in passing.

I think you need to consult with your doctor. Your dementia is clearly out of control.

P.S.:
something is too batshit improbable, insane, i just write it as shitty lore
It's even worse than I thought...

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Well we are discussing PC game here not pathfinder tabeltop. Idk what's your point?
In the world of Golarion and its encompassing lore gods, demons and other powers have their complete stories. In a short story of taming the Stolen Lands - which happens in the small part of the world of Golarion - some of those entities have the main role, some have brief appearances, and some are only mentioned in passing.

I think you need to consult with your doctor. Your dementia is clearly out of control.

Nice writeup bro, but you seem to not understand simple words. I've told you in earlier post that IN MY OPINION this is shit narrative wise. You can have different opinion on that. You know, people like different games, and different things in games. Are you twelve to not understand this?

Max Damage

Savant
Wish I had this much free time to play games I don't like and complain about them on the interwebz, oh wait, I'd rather do literally anything else.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Also i've talked about women in iron, and somehow the arguments pertaining shit i find improbable in this phenomena, got intertwined by LannTheStupid with my discussion about gods where i haven't said anything about it being improbable -just plain boring sidequest worthy trash tier minigods that doesn't have influence on core game. Talk about lack of reading comprehension.

The education in rusland is getting worse year by year it seems.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom