Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

jackofshadows

Magister
You know, these players that are constantly asking to have unlimited fast travel from anywhere to everywhere at any given time, that start to cry and moan a the mere suggestion of doing some resource management, that have a panic attack at the mere suggestion that there could be time limits of any sort (no matter how forgiving in practical term), that want a big omniscient minimap and giant quest markers to lead them by the nose at any given moment, that HATE the mere idea of not being able to spam long rests at will without any drawback whatsoever, that beg to make friendly fire optional because "it sucks that I can hurt myself with my spells", etc.
These players called "casuals". And yes, this game is being developed primarily for them, what else is new. Same goes for huge chunk of BioWare audience which is starving for this big date sim kind of game for a long time now. Larian paying attention to mechanics this much just because they trying not to move away from D:OS 2 too far and because they like that stuff themselves, apparently. I like how some people here were hoping that Larian will dig into it more after Solasta's success while Solasta turned out to be basically a casual game for DnD enthusiasts on its own.

For instance it wouldn't be reasonable that the option to hire or not a potential new companion would depend entirely on a single random roll.
BG1 did this, as some players with low CHA might've found out.
It's been a while since I even attempted to play the *first* BG, but I seemed to remember that the game had fixed checks rather than "rolls" for this sort of stuff.

That, aside for the fact that for the record I don't think "The old games did it, too" should be considered in any way an excuse to justify bad design decisions, generally speaking.

Ultima VII may be one of my favorite RPGs of all times, but there are a couple of dozen things I would do differently should I have the power to remake it now. Starting with the entirety of its hideous combat system.

Cnaiur

Augur
It's not exactly a new idea or discovery, but as the time goes on I'm developing more and more a fierce distaste for that category of "players" that I like to call "the convenience advocates".
You know, these players that are constantly asking to have unlimited fast travel from anywhere to everywhere at any given time, that start to cry and moan a the mere suggestion of doing some resource management, that have a panic attack at the mere suggestion that there could be time limits of any sort (no matter how forgiving in practical term), that want a big omniscient minimap and giant quest markers to lead them by the nose at any given moment, that HATE the mere idea of not being able to spam long rests at will without any drawback whatsoever, that beg to make friendly fire optional because "it sucks that I can hurt myself with my spells", etc.

It doesn't help their case that more often than not they seem to overlap to an uncanny degree with the same audience that treat these sort of RPGs as if they were some fucking dating sim where "simping for Character X" is basically the main quest as far as they are concerned.

Like, Jesus Christ, what are you even playing a game for?
It's bloody obvious you have no interest whatsoever in putting any amount of effort in learning how any of its subsystems work.
If all you want is dialogues and romances, go read some fucking Harmony or something.

I call this the Resetera audience, but I know you're already familiar with their vices :obviously:

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
If that’s what you grew up with you don’t know any different. It’s not just casuals. Gotta get them turned on to the good stuff.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Personally, I like how simping over romances has almost dispersed on the BG3 subreddit, and now it's mostly about the actual game.
Probably only because there's a new patch around the corner.
I'm sure the people interested in replaying the EA will do their one playthrough and leave until the next update, once again leaving all the community platforms in the hands of the simps standing in line to show off their fan-art or self-insert Tiefling.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Probably only because there's a new patch around the corner.
I'm sure the people interested in replaying the EA will do their one playthrough and leave until the next update, once again leaving all the community platforms in the hands of the simps standing in line to show off their fan-art or self-insert Tiefling.
It's actually backwards. After this content drought, all the waifufags got bored and moved on.

hell bovine

Arcane
There's no "accepting and moving on" if failing a random skill check turns into a game over. There's only reloading the game.
The deadliest dialogue option in BG1 is a minor npc: Shoal will instagib whomever talks to her, no roll involved. And if that happens to be the main character it means a gameover. :D

edit: fixed quote

Last edited:

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Infinitron It's time Ontopsh*t gets the retarded tag, he deserves it.
Okay there, Shitposter... Head larian-codex cultist Infinitron already tried that.
It's not exactly a new idea or discovery, but as the time goes on I'm developing more and more a fierce distaste for that category of "players" that I like to call "the convenience advocates".

It doesn't help their case that more often than not they seem to overlap to an uncanny degree with the same audience that treat these sort of RPGs as if they were some fucking dating sim where "simping for Character X" is basically the main quest as far as they are concerned.

It's bloody obvious you have no interest whatsoever in putting any amount of effort in learning how any of its subsystems work.
If all you want is dialogues and romances, go read some fucking Harmony or something.
Completely agree. larian is just going to exasperate this type of video game philosophy in the rpg future. We're looking at the 4th great decline and it seems like no one really cares. This was well worded though. You should throw it on a blog or make a medium article to preserve these thoughts.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
audience that treat these sort of RPGs as if they were some fucking dating sim where "simping for Character X" is basically the main quest as far as they are concerned.

This. The denizens of the Bioware forums should have been purged from the industry years ago. Or at the least, been quarantined off into some "forever alone" subgenre where they couldn't affect other games.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The deadliest dialogue option in BG1 is a minor npc: Shoal will instagib whomever talks to her, no roll involved. And if that happens to be the main character it means a gameover. :D
I’ve just googled who’s Shoal to remind myself hell you’re talking about, just to find another clue how many aspects of the EEs are pure cowardliness:
Since the Enhanced Edition's v2.5, Gorion's Ward will not die but – unless a save vs. breath is made with a penalty of 2 – lose all hit points but one and fall asleep. The same may happen to any other party member, if chosen to talk to her, or this one – with the same saving throw allowed – will lose all health and die, though not permanently. Which option the party member will suffer from, is randomized.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

On the delay i would invite people to think:

Better a slow ass development with great results rather than releasing a game in an alpha status and then calling it a 10/10 and being in denial while you are the laughting stock of the internet ((Cyberpunk coff coff))

Salvo

Arcane

Better a slow ass development with great results rather than releasing a game in an alpha status and then calling it a 10/10 and being in denial while you are the laughting stock of the internet ((Cyberpunk coff coff))
Agree with you on all points other than the fact that delays don't necessarily increase quality, as can be seen from cp2077

Unwanted

Abracadabra

Unwanted
How long did Cyberpunk take to get made again? How long did Bloodlines 2 take before they gave up? Slow development just means that the devs are bad at making games. Some of the best and beloved games were made in no time at all because the devs were pros who knew what they were doing.

kyosuke

Educated
Patron

What Romances is to a cRPG should be like what garnish is to a main course.
It's a minor add on that's supposed to make a good dish just that little bit better.
The garnish should never be the entire dish, likewise Romances should never be an entire cRPG, but most new age players are too busy simping for pixels and dribbling onto their keyboards to understand that.
All they want is a self-insert Mary Sue/Gary Stu character fucking around and acting all "I'm such a supreme badass" to feel like they've accomplished something in their miserable lives.
Gameplay or just using their brains is an obstacle to their dopamine hit and self-masturbation time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom