Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

First time DM, what to do

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
So, DM shouldn't be full-player, but can fill the lacking role with a NPC; dnd 5e and SavageWWorlds are good for beginners, and Dungeon World is not a proper rpg. Get it, thanks everyone, hugs:hug:
No, you definitely DIDN'T get it. You're missing the most important point here:

you're not infinitron tho

SixDead

Educated
So, DM shouldn't be full-player, but can fill the lacking role with a NPC; dnd 5e and SavageWWorlds are good for beginners, and Dungeon World is not a proper rpg. Get it, thanks everyone, hugs:hug:

How do you know? Obsidian is good, to split threads is good, see, I could be Infinitron

And what about Shadowrun 4e? Is it any good for first-timers?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Start with 5e, get them used to the concepts. Switch to Pathfinder 1e or 3.5 if they enjoy more character building and optimisation.

Mortmal

Arcane
I am not so sure on it, 5E may seem to you a good idea for begginers as you play rpgs since ages, but its in fact already too complex for them. Think you could pick one of those OSRIC clone first too , ose, B/X those are easy too. Remember when trying to teach them there's nothing obvious at all. Dont be like some condescending cunts on forums , there's no stupid questions, nothing obvious.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
My friend is getting into GMing is playing Curse of Strahd as his first adventure. None of his 4 players have ever played anything remotely similar to P&P before, not even a cRPG. They're doing fine. He's asked me like 5 rules questions throughout their three sessions so far

7h30n

Augur
To lazy to create new thread, so I post here.
Never played any ttrpg before, but willing to start. My main problem - I have only 2 friends to play with, so questions:
1) Isn't this number too small?
2) Can I DMing and in the same time play my own character? Is it retard or very retard decision? If not, any useful advice to do it properly?
3) My friends are too low INT persons for dnd, so I plan to use Dungeon World rules, which are seem to be kinda newby-friendly. Is there any other systems for casuals?
Tnx in advance.

Looks like you asked this just in time for Professor Dungeon Master to answer your question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TriHiQlp9mI
His stuff is awesome, and I recommend it if you continue playing and DMing.

Mortmal

Arcane
My friend is getting into GMing is playing Curse of Strahd as his first adventure. None of his 4 players have ever played anything remotely similar to P&P before, not even a cRPG. They're doing fine. He's asked me like 5 rules questions throughout their three sessions so far
If the roomates are all doing their master degree at cophenhagen polytechnics, he pobably wont have much trouble yes. Now the average guy.. thats another story.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
If the roomates are all doing their master degree at cophenhagen polytechnics, he pobably wont have much trouble yes. Now the average guy.. thats another story.

The GM develops sandbox racing games. One is a lobbyist. One has his own business. Two work with children in a daycare. None have high education save the lobbyist who has a Master's in politics.

How do you know? Obsidian is good, to split threads is good, see, I could be Infinitron

And what about Shadowrun 4e? Is it any good for first-timers?

Shadowrun 4e and 5e (4e is a departure from some core mechanics from editions 1-3 and 5e is a refinement of 4e, and I say this somewhat unironically) are not beginner friendly by any metric. They are not intermediate-friendly, either. Any Shadowrun game requires massive bookkeeping from the GM, plus you will have to learrn three systems (physical, magic, and hacking) because the game is fucking schyzophrenic. I'd rather run Rolemaster, because I'd have to check a lot of tables but they would at least be contiguous and I'd be using a coherent system. In Shadowrun, they attempted to streamline everything and at first sight you'd think that they succeeded, but they fucked up. There's a lot of tables you'll be consulting often that are spread all over the fucking place. Magic is broken unless the game is full Hogwarts. It's also a pain in the ass because if you thought having to learn magic stuff to run D&D was a pain, you haven't seen anything yet. The team's tactical marines will get bored and frustrated when your magic users go on yet another Harry Potter magical escapade. The net was designed by people with no fucking idea about telecommunications, and you will probably want to pressure the group to subcontract an NPC for hacking just so that you can abstract the hacking mechanics, because it's a pain in the ass deling with the wizards already. My last Shadowrun GM ended up burning out (running 5e), and this was a guy with decades of experience as a GM. I had plans to run a 4e campaign, but ended up making it an one-shot when I realized that computer-assisted character creation still took more than an hour per character, and this is for pre-gens where I don't have to talk to the player about his character, and that the rules were fucking broken (especially magic). Both systems (4e and 5e) are designed to hobble cybered characters and benefit magic users, i.e., they were designed by a fucking hippy faggot. Cyberpunk my ass.

This is a game where you have to use square roots to calculate explosion damage (not that there's a problem with calculating square roots, but the choice itself, the fact that they are not used anywhere else and that the mechanic is only in place so that you have to use outrageous amounts and explosives to do any significant damage while flaunting the same rule every time you use an HE grenade, which has a fixed damage value, and compare that to Deep Space for CP2020, where equations were used to calculate the rate at which a habitat is depressurized, not just for pulling your leg), and then some if the explosion happens in confined quarters or there are solid objects nearby that can withstand the initial explosive damage. I have told this before in another thread, but a friend of mine ran a game (in 5e) which culminated in a tense scene where a there was a car bomb in a parking lot. My friend used all tricks and excuses to prevent us from moving the car, because it had taken him half an hour to calculate the bomb's damage value. And this guy is a fucking engineer, and I mean a proper engineer, not a "sanitation engineer". So if you don't want to be running three games at once and dealing with stupid design decisions, either get Shadowrun 3rd edition, or even better, adapt the Shadowrun setting to a superior system, such as Savage Worlds, because sometimes less is more.

There, I went on yet another Shadowrun tirade. The fluff is nice, but the rules are bullshit.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
light ruleset =/= good for beginner DMs.
Rules-light games like osr retroclones and Dungeon World put a lot of responsibility on the DM because he's the one who has to fill the gaps in the ruleset and setting ad-hoc.

Get a dnd essentials kit and run Lost Mines of Phandelver with them. It's a solid adventure on its own and gives you good advice on how to run the module.

SoupNazi

light ruleset =/= good for beginner DMs.
Rules-light games like osr retroclones and Dungeon World put a lot of responsibility on the DM because he's the one who has to fill the gaps in the ruleset and setting ad-hoc.

Get a dnd essentials kit and run Lost Mines of Phandelver with them. It's a solid adventure on its own and gives you good advice on how to run the module.
This is the most sensible thing I have seen come out of you, wtf? Are you high?

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ah, that reminds me, you could of course also go the SoupNazi Way Of First-Timer GM, choose a super-obscure ruleset hack, conceptualize an open-world sandbox campaign in a homebrew world and then intertwine it with another campaign you're running that consists of an entirely different set of players so both campaigns affect each other. Should work, too

nikolokolus

Arcane
My only real advice for a beginner is that you should strongly consider running a module or dungeon that is considered an introductory-teaching module. Keep on the Borderlands was great for this back in the day (and the Goodman Games re-master for 5e also includes the original Moldvay Basic D&D version so it would be super easy to run for an OSR-ish ruleset if you go that route). Also if you do pick a dungeon, don't go with some art-house, minimalist bullshit, but also, don't go for a megadungeon either. Pick something that is digestible, and can theoretically be completed in about 6-8 sessions. Tenfootpole.org is an invaluable resource. particularly his summary of favorites: My Favorite of the new old school adventurers | tenfootpole.org

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
5e.tools is a great resource, includes the official books including adventure modules. My group has been using owlbear.rodeo as the virtual tabletop platform, it's much more lighter and intuitive to use compared to something like roll20. Just started my first campaign as a DM, still have some adjusting to do. Noticed on the first session that I plot out things too much instead of thinking a rough basis and do things ad hoc when the players stumble somewhere.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ah, that reminds me, you could of course also go the SoupNazi Way Of First-Timer GM, choose a super-obscure ruleset hack, conceptualize an open-world sandbox campaign in a homebrew world and then intertwine it with another campaign you're running that consists of an entirely different set of players so both campaigns affect each other. Should work, too
For what it's worth his game was fun while it lasted.
While it lasted. :negative:

0wca

Learned
Me and my friends decided to start an adventure in the czech RPG Draci Doupe and because all of them are totally lazy to learn the rules or prepare anything, Ive been appointed the dungeon master. I have never played a PnP RPG in my life and Im scared to shit.

Basically we got the very first edition of this game, the rules are pretty simple and from what I know of DnD, its very similar and even simpler than the early DnD.

We want to make the game last long so I guess I should make some overarching story and give them a reason to go to the 1st dungeon and get us all accustomed to the game rules. I'll simply draw one dungeon fill it with some monsters with some logic to it and think of the descriptions of the walls, rooms, smells etc. ?

Can you guys give me some tips on what to do and what not to do, what to describe, which rules to avoid and which to enforce? We are all close friends and theyll be cooperative as long as its fun.

I literally have no idea what the game looks like once it starts and what should I do.
Maybe give me some step by step guide?
We tried to example adventure with simpler rolls and Im reading the GMs handbook but its not very helpful.

First off, don't be scared...unless your group is going to hang you by your nuts for bad DMing.

Second, your fist session is going to be a varying degree of suck. Just embrace it. It will get better.

And third:

Cadmus

Arcane
Yeah that thing never happened. It feels like a million years ago. I don't even see those people anymore.

0wca

Learned
Yeah that thing never happened. It feels like a million years ago. I don't even see those people anymore.

LOL just noticed the date on this one rofl my bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom