Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline RPGs that should never be mentioned

RPGs that should never be mentioned (here or anywhere else)

• PoE

• Skyrim

• Fallout 3-4

• DAI

• Outer Worlds

• Tyranny

• Torment: ToN

• ME: Andromeda

• Bumdog EEs

• DOS series

• Kingmaker

• Cyberpunk

Results are only viewable after voting.
Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
I raped ur mother with this banana

0004394411_10.jpg

no-return

Educated
Codex Year of the Donut
Dos 1 was a scum with illusion of old school RPGs, dialogue options are just questions to read more lore and what the point to let you travel to different areas when all areas are strictly divided by levels.
It's action game with turn based combat and pointless isometric view.
I suspect BG3 is the same

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Came here expecting to find “Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor,” given the way it shit on the legacy of the original game by being a shameless cash grab, and tried to uninstall your operating system when you tried to remove it from your hard drive as the biggest “fuck you” ever.

Came here expecting to find “Ultima 9,” a game that tried to rewrite the history of its own game series in the dumbest way possible, while being one of the buggiest releases in the history of video games.

Came here expecting to find “Descent to Undermountain,” one of the biggest wastes of the D&D gaming licenses ever, aside from click-bait mobile games, built in an engine that was great for 3D shooters but horrible for RPGs.

Instead, it’s the usual suspects of games that everyone talks about. This list is not worthy.

0wca

Learned
Let's go into this a little.

PoE: Tries to ape Baldur's Gate, is actually just an awful slog both mechanically and story-wise. Lots of people got convinced it's somehow not an awfully written, awfully designed mess because they're desperate for "old school" CRPGs.

Skyrim: TES went to shit by the time of Oblivion but Skyrim manages to be a persistent blight on gaming because Todd insists on re-releasing it on every possible system. Also, the kid called Dovakhiin should be about 11 or so now. A game only worth it for its memes, really, otherwise a regression in every single regard but what else can you expect from Bethesda these days?

Fallouts: See above, it's Bethesda, Bethesda is bad. Stop giving them the benefit of the doubt.

DAI: Probably the least offensive game on the list, actually, because it's just a single player MMO world. It's grindy and the story is mostly retarded (Elf MC meets Flemeth/that one elf goddess that was missing, asks her "Will you help the elves now?" and she just says "lol no" - Muh lore! So deep!) but it's not like it dragged CRPGs as a whole in a bad direction like Skyrim or Fallout did. It mostly came and went and was forgotten.

Outer Worlds: Also relatively harmless. The memes make it look worse than it really is. Its biggest sin is being boring, uninspired and childish but that's modern RPG writing for you. The sequel is entirely undeserved, as is any real praise.

Tyranny: Same issues as PoE, really, plus a tad more politicized and stupid.

Torment: Yet another failed Kickstarter that promised the stars and delivered something barely acceptable. The entire 2010s are riddled with those. Tries to be smart, ends up being dull.

Andromeda: Everyone expected it to be shit, it turned out to be shit, it still is shit, no, DLC won't fix it so stop acknowledging its existence.

Beamcock: Absolute cocksuckers and grifters who should be dragged behind a shed and shot for what they are doing to poor old Infinity and Aurora Engine games. They're the tapeworm of CRPGs, infesting otherwise decent games and making money off off other people's efforts. Yea yea maybe they helped with PWs somehow but that doesn't justify all the other shit they either did or didn't implement by now. But at least we got some shitty portrait packs!

Divinity: I wouldn't mind Larian if they had stayed in their "shitty Eurojamk RPG" niche. The DOS games are shit in my eyes, especially the incredibly unfunny forced humor, but whatever. Yet they couldn't leave well enough alone and are trying to parasitize the Baldur's Gate name. Fuck 'em.

Kingmaker: I respect Owlcat for fixing up the game after its pretty terrible launch state. They're not the based Slavs here to save us from the homo menace and Wrath looks like it's going to be even worse but of all the games above at least they made a functioning CRPG with an actual tested and working rules system, enough reactivity and CnC to allow for multiple playthroughs and decent (if completely dickish) encounter design... up until the House...

Cyberpunk: lol just LOL if you still think it's not a DEAD GAME

I agree with you on most fronts.

• Tyranny though I think is slightly better than most people give it credit for. It's not a great CRPG by any standards and the combat sucks ass (and you're constantly thrown into it), but at least it tries to do C&C right and gives a pretty decent amount of freedom when it comes to the player's choices. I've played through it twice, and if it weren't for the atrocious combat, I'd probably replay it a third time since it actually gave me a pretty different experience each playthrough based on my choices.
  • Torment: ToN is a fucking disappointment of the highest caliber. I backed this game back when it was being made and having played through it, I lost interest after about 5 hours. It's writing is so far up its own asshole with its pretentious and sluggish way of relaying the story, it pissed me off on more than one occassion. They were desperately trying to emulate the narrative and dialogue of the first one and just ended up with some hipster-esque storytelling that doesn't make any sense and just throws in flowery words to sound more mature and poetic. It sucks so bad.
  • For Beamcock I agree with you for the most part, except for Planescape: Torment EE. That was actually done right. I agree they shouldn't charge nearly as much as they do though.
  • I actually like the DOS series, even if it is flawed. It at least gives you a unique playthrough and I think it actually has cool combat.
  • I actually ran the Kingmaker module back when I was DMing Pathfinder in RL. That being said, this game didn't quite deliver. It does provide C&C and reactivity but I find the story and the dialogue bland and uninspired. Generic RPG is generic.

0wca

Learned
If you think PS:T is the worst IE game, then yeah, you wouldn't be surprised.

But it's not.

Max Damage

Savant
Amateur ! There's a lot worse Lionheart : legacy of the crusader never raged so much on black isle forums , then i met like minded people there and that drove me.. to the rpgcodex. If you dont define this as bad , nothing will. Ultima 9 is a serious contender too.
Lionheart was such a big disappointment when I got full game after playing the demo. Words cannot express how betrayed one felt by the diifference between that character creation menu and actual game past Barcelona.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Came here expecting to find “Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor,” given the way it shit on the legacy of the original game by being a shameless cash grab, and tried to uninstall your operating system when you tried to remove it from your hard drive as the biggest “fuck you” ever.

Except that PoR: RoMD:

- Wasn't meant to be a sequel nor even a "spritual successor" to the original Gold Box Game

- Was by no means a "shameless cash grab" (it was an honest-to-goodness turn-based computer roleplaying game)

- Shouldn't be judged as being 'unmentionable' or even a poor RPG because of an admittedly horrible but accidental technical glitch

The game itself is fascinating, it is difficult, it requires much patience, and is probably better than most of the RPGs mentioned so far ITT.

Slaver1

Savant
The Outhouse Turds

Mass Defect Andronymous

Divshitnity Original Turd Number 2

Demented Nu-male era

mondblut

Arcane

In all fairness, ROMD wasn't all that bad. Not TOEE, but better than any infinity engine RTS by the virtue of being turn-based.

Came here expecting to find “Descent to Undermountain,” one of the biggest wastes of the D&D gaming licenses ever, aside from click-bait mobile games, built in an engine that was great for 3D shooters but horrible for RPGs.

Come on, before Descent to Undermountain we had Slayer, Deathkeep and fucking Warriors of Ravenloft. And Blood & Magic about the same time. Descent to Undermountain wasn't good by any means, but comparing to these, it was a definite incline.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Came here expecting to find “Ultima 9,” a game that tried to rewrite the history of its own game series in the dumbest way possible, while being one of the buggiest releases in the history of video games.

Instead, it’s the usual suspects of games that everyone talks about. This list is not worthy.

Same. I'd also include Dungeon Lords, Arcania, Kingdoms of Amalur.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Let's review our options:

Non RPG (shouldn't be mentioned obviously because they're both terrible and NOT RPGs)
  • Skyrim: Walking simulator looking like an offline MMO"""RPG""" game game
  • Fallout 3/4: Bad FPS with cut-scenes and quests...
  • DAI: Walking simulator for the sexual-identity challenged crowd
  • Outer World: 3D Ecco the Dolphin on the ground
  • ME Andromeda: ...
  • Cyberpunk: (see previous comment)
Now, the RPGs
  • PoE: Terrible system, attributes, skills, itemization, uninspired quests and storyline, retarded features (like backers NPC), horrible combat. the only thing it did right is the CYOA-like skill checks - Should obviously be forgotten
  • Tyranny: Poor bestiary and mediocre combat (even among RTwP RPG), poor performances, I don't hate it, it has an interesting story and it tried to do something original in an interesting settings, good TB combat would have saved it.
  • Numenera: Pretentious writing and way too much of it, terrible combat system, using a beloved title to market their kickstarter and scam PST fans... We should obviously forget the game but not the scammers.
  • Rabid Dog EEs: Some QoL and a couple of decent NPC along with some terrible to mediocre companion quests, At least, Rasaad one is combat, combat, combat, you can't go wrong with that... Free mods shit better content on a daily basis.
  • DOS 1: First half of the game is good but you'll soon get bored with the environmental effects and the barrel/traps fest.
  • DOS 2: Worse than DOS 1, added their retarded dual armor system blocking status effects, only partially fixed by mods.
  • Kingmaker: Retarded and poorly written companions, loading screen simulator, gigabytes worth of saves aggravating loading issues, micro-maps and quests multiplying loading screens, traveling times and encumbrance making the game a camping simulator, terrible kingdom manager multiplying loading screens and travel as well... All that crap drowned the good parts in an ocean of shit.

Goldschmidt

Learned
Let me roleplay typical codexer.

Casted votes on:
-> ME Andromeda
-> Bumdug EE
-> Cyberpunk
-> Dragon Age Inquisition

But votes are still legit. Actually anything can be put there. Thread should be what codex likes. When the hell are we going to get top 100 codex again. I missed the last iteration.

Last edited:

Can't handle the bacon

Cyberpunk is worthless trash, Dragon Age 2 & 3 are worthless trash, PoE is boring trash, as is the Elder Scrolls installment that shall not be named, and then of course there is Elex.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter

Except that PoR: RoMD:

- Wasn't meant to be a sequel nor even a "spritual successor" to the original Gold Box Game

- Was by no means a "shameless cash grab" (it was an honest-to-goodness turn-based computer roleplaying game)

- Shouldn't be judged as being 'unmentionable' or even a poor RPG because of an admittedly horrible but accidental technical glitch

The game itself is fascinating, it is difficult, it requires much patience, and is probably better than most of the RPGs mentioned so far ITT.

On the topic of Gold Box.

https://www.squakenet.com/game/pool-of-radiance/

You see, Pool of Radiance is a game that is the first of a series of 4, all built on versions of the Gold Box engine, engine which was even used to build the entrails of the first graphic MMO ever - Neverwinter Nights.

I have to find out if people are still playing the first NWN MMO.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom