Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline RPGs that should never be mentioned

RPGs that should never be mentioned (here or anywhere else)

• PoE

• Skyrim

• Fallout 3-4

• DAI

• Outer Worlds

• Tyranny

• Torment: ToN

• ME: Andromeda

• Bumdog EEs

• DOS series

• Kingmaker

• Cyberpunk

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
FATAL. Why? Roll for anal circumference!!

mondblut

Arcane
You see, Pool of Radiance is a game that is the first of a series of 4, all built on versions of the Gold Box engine, engine which was even used to build the entrails of the first graphic MMO ever - Neverwinter Nights.

I have to find out if people are still playing the first NWN MMO.

It went down in 1997 when AOL plugged it off.

There is a fan sorta-remake called Forgotten World, but it appears pretty much ded now. http://www.forgottenworld.com/Default.aspx

Humanophage

Arcane
Worst RPG'S i've played: Lionheart, Metalheart replicants rampage, Konung 2, Harbinger(crap diablo clone), Revenant(crap diablo clone), Might and magic 9, the ishar series(some of the first rpg's I played), Thunderscape,
This is completely unwarranted. Revenant isn't a Diablo clone at all. It's a unique isometric fighting game, and it's rather good with a lot of Nox-style charm. It has no hordes of monsters and no random items as far as I recall.

Beans00

Augur
Worst RPG'S i've played: Lionheart, Metalheart replicants rampage, Konung 2, Harbinger(crap diablo clone), Revenant(crap diablo clone), Might and magic 9, the ishar series(some of the first rpg's I played), Thunderscape,
This is completely unwarranted. Revenant isn't a Diablo clone at all. It's a unique isometric fighting game, and it's rather good with a lot of Nox-style charm. It has no hordes of monsters and no random items as far as I recall.

Tell yourself that if you need to, I played that game around the time it came out and I thought it was dogshit.

If you liked it that's fine but it's clearly inspired heavily by diablo 1.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Oblivion was the harbinger of decline and is directly responsible both financially for Bethesda due to it being a hit with the xbox kids and mechanically as a gameplay template for how badly Fallout ended up getting raped. In its absence it only makes sense to vote for Fallout 3&4, since they're basically the same games anyway.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Except that PoR: RoMD:

- Wasn't meant to be a sequel nor even a "spritual successor" to the original Gold Box Game

- Was by no means a "shameless cash grab" (it was an honest-to-goodness turn-based computer roleplaying game)

- Shouldn't be judged as being 'unmentionable' or even a poor RPG because of an admittedly horrible but accidental technical glitch

The game itself is fascinating, it is difficult, it requires much patience, and is probably better than most of the RPGs mentioned so far ITT.

You're right, man. You've completely turned me around. At long last, that Day One purchase that cost me $60 for a terrible game all those years ago is finally worth it. Thanks. I'll sleep better at night knowing you were able to make me see the light. This game is amazing. Probably better than the original.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Morrowind; what a terrible game...

Morrowind I tried several times to play but i always lost interest literally within minutes after first getting off the boat. However, it always galled me that had I stuck with it, it might have been a good game since I enjoyed other entries in the series (maybe I was just too burnt out on the whole Bethesda fantasy open world thing at the time). But I'm not one of those guys who plays 5 minutes of a game (or worse... plays it to completion even though it's so bad) and then authoritatively & adamantly declares, again & again: "<insert game title here> is the worst RPG ever made!" It bothers me that Morrowind might have been a game I actually liked if I managed to play it for more than 10 minutes. This ambivalence might be why I tried 5 times over the years, and may try again some day to give it a fair shake. At any rate, I have OpenMW in my archives/LaunchBox ready to play someday if I ever choose to do so.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Morrowind; what a terrible game...

Morrowind I tried several times to play but i always lost interest literally within minutes after first getting off the boat. However, it always galled me that had I stuck with it, it might have been a good game since I enjoyed other entries in the series (maybe I was just too burnt out on the whole Bethesda fantasy open world thing at the time). But I'm not one of those guys who plays 5 minutes of a game (or worse... plays it to completion even though it's so bad) and then authoritatively & adamantly declares, again & again: "<insert game title here> is the worst RPG ever made!" It bothers me that Morrowind might have been a game I actually liked if I managed to play it for more than 10 minutes. This ambivalence might be why I tried 5 times over the years, and may try again some day to give it a fair shake. At any rate, I have OpenMW in my archives/LaunchBox ready to play someday if I ever choose to do so.

I felt the same as you for a long time. Then, one day I decided I was just going to suck it up and push forward. While I didn't beat the game, I did get pretty far into it, and I can promise that it's worth it.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Didn't read the thread. Just posting.

Skyrim
FO3 - 4
DAI
ME Andromeda

I would have chosen PoE due to my experience with it, BUT i think that should be mentioned simply as a rule of what NOT to do with an RPG that generates a tremendous amount of goodwill.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I consider a truly bad, "unmentionable" RPG to be something so awful you can't even finish it, yet I get this overwhelming feeling that at least 90% of the people in this topic have played all these "terrible" games + DLCs on their shit list all the way through, maybe even multiple times. I wish I had the cute little "autistic" button available with the quivering malfunctioning lil robot (I don't have the proper post count, I think) because I'm sure it would be my most used codex button/rating.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Skyrim and Fallout 3/4 should never be mentioned, because everyone here has played them for thousands of hours and there is nothing else to be said about them. Shills need to talk about underplayed games, like Cuckmaker, that no one plays because they are shit, in order to let some sheeple know they exist and convince them to buy them.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
, that no one plays because they are shit,

Yep. Nobody plays Kingmaker and everyone has thousands of hours on bugthesda's games /sarcasm I don't own FL4. IF I ever purchase it, will gonna be with Argentine currency when the game is with massive discount.

QrrG6kr.png

xLUXctC.png

If you look to steamspy, Pathfinder Kingmaker has the same range of owners of FL76

https://steamspy.com/app/640820
https://steamspy.com/app/1151340

A AAA game with massive marketing, E3 apparitions, one of the best brand recognition ever(...) VS a couple of Russian devs making a "boomer" RPG with a lot of Vodka. Obsidian new Skyrim clone will gonna be far better than Skyrim.

Harthwain

Magister

Tell yourself that if you need to, I played that game around the time it came out and I thought it was dogshit.

If you liked it that's fine but it's clearly inspired heavily by diablo 1.

Diablo-inspired or not, it doesn't really belong in the unmentionables or shit category. In fact, I liked it a lot more than Diablo 2.

The protagonist is an anti-hero type and is well voiced, which made the overall quite banal story a bearable experience. The combat and the magic system were much more involving than Diablo's (1 or 2), because you could discover more combat styles (playing with keyboard was much better experience than playing with a mouse, which could be why you think of it as yet another Diablo clone) and it was possible for you to mix up runes to create various spells. The visuals were solid despite being 3D, and I say that as someone who was playing the game years after it was released, meaning it survived the test of time rather well.

EldarEldrad

Savant
Skyrim and Fallout 3/4 should never be mentioned, because everyone here has played them for thousands of hours and there is nothing else to be said about them. Shills need to talk about underplayed games, like Cuckmaker, that no one plays because they are shit, in order to let some sheeple know they exist and convince them to buy them.
That's why you mention Skyrim and nu-Fallouts in half of your posts.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I hope that this topic is an attempt at trolling? You'd think we're on resetera or something. They already have certain games banned over there.
Every game should be mentioned, even if they're shit. Why? To discuss what other games should or should not do. Underworld Ascendant and other games of its ilk should not be hidden. You should be able to point your finger and say: that's the bad guy.
sf.png

Mauman

Learned
Seeing that it's not on the list, is this an admission that you like YIIK, a Post Modern RPG?

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I've been thinking about it for a little while now and I've come to the conclusion that a forum's quality is directly related to its majority's opinion on how good Fallout 3 is. The more they like Fallout 3 the worse the forum is, of course the codex unfortunately isn't perfect as there are a few drooling bethestards roaming around but if you go look at any mainstream forum it's always filled to the brim with bethestards who love Fallout 3, and thus is a terrible place to talk about video games or interact with the people of that forum. Unfortunately what I've been seeing on a lot of sites nowadays is the unironic (but very likely nostalgia-fueled by people who were 8 and played it as their first ever RPG) holding of the opinion that Fallout 3 is a better game than New Vegas, which is about as close to factually incorrect that you can get when it comes to an opinion on a video game.

deuxhero

Arcane
ME: Andromeda is worth mentioning for the hilariously buggy state it released in. From what I understand, DAI is just normal terrible instead of hilariously bad.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Torment ToN has irrationally upset me in the past, but it's just a mediocre game in the end.
Only one i'd condemn to damnatio memoriae is Andromeda because wtf-am-i-looking-at.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom