Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CRPG BOOK RELEASED!

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Now we need the CRPG Soap Opera Book that's all about developers' catfights with each other. Obsidian, Cleve Blakemore vs. SirTech. Or just be a typical journalist and find any game that didn't have a smooth production, get some quotes, and insinuate that the people all hated each other.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Now we need the CRPG Soap Opera Book that's all about developers' catfights with each other. Obsidian, Cleve Blakemore vs. SirTech. Or just be a typical journalist and find any game that didn't have a smooth production, get some quotes, and insinuate that the people all hated each other.

just get hired in any office and you can experience all this soap opera first hand yourself, why limit yourself to second-hand experiences

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Finally bought this a few weeks ago, got it today.

crpgbook32.jpg

lightbane

Arcane
*Checks* It says its better because it blends FPS elements with Diablo's loot mechanics. I guess the :decline: in felipepe was always in plain sight.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Are there plans to make an MMORPG history book?
I did write this timeline on virtual worlds & MMOs: https://medium.com/@felipepepe/robl...ry-of-virtual-worlds-muds-mmorpgs-12e41c4cb9b

But I can't get into details, I haven't played most of these games and it's impossible now to have the experience of how it was to play Ultima Online in 1998. MMOs are MUCH more context-driven than RPGs. If you want to read about MMOs, I suggest the Game Archeologist: https://massivelyop.com/2020/12/13/the-game-archaeologists-ultimate-mmo-archives-v4-0/

He's probably the most qualified person to make an "MMORPG book". I actually considered talking to him, making a book that blends my timeline with his articles, but 2020 was too fucking busy and depressive for new projects.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Are there plans to make an MMORPG history book?
I did write this timeline on virtual worlds & MMOs: https://medium.com/@felipepepe/robl...ry-of-virtual-worlds-muds-mmorpgs-12e41c4cb9b

But I can't get into details, I haven't played most of these games and it's impossible now to have the experience of how it was to play Ultima Online in 1998. MMOs are MUCH more context-driven than RPGs. If you want to read about MMOs, I suggest the Game Archeologist: https://massivelyop.com/2020/12/13/the-game-archaeologists-ultimate-mmo-archives-v4-0/

He's probably the most qualified person to make an "MMORPG book". I actually considered talking to him, making a book that blends my timeline with his articles, but 2020 was too fucking busy and depressive for new projects.

I believe in you, view the project as if you are the editor of a bunch of people who write articles about individual mmorpgs.

To be honest, I don't think anybody who has played the vast majority off mmorpg's would have the mental capacity to write a book, let alone lead an effort such as this.

There is no recovery from too much neckbearding.

The only way a MMORPG book would ever get written is if somebody who was interested in them during their hay day, but didn't dedicate every waking moment to playing all of them, who was willing to write the book.

I believe in you!

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I appreciate the effort, but you missed good games.

It includes FPS games such as Borderlands, or turn-based strategies like Gorky 17. It even includes garbage like Cthulhu Saves the World.

Yet doesn't include RPGs such as Prelude to Darkness, Pathologic, The Void, or less FPSy than Boringlands Precursors.

What gives, felipepepe ?

Last edited:

Fishy

Savant
I appreciate the effort, but you missed good games.

It includes FPS games such as Borderlands, or turn-based strategies like Gorky 17. It even includes garbage like Cthulhu Saves the World.

Yet doesn't include RPGs such as Prelude to Darkness, Pathologic, The Void, or less FPSy than Boringlands Precursors.

What gives, felipepepe ?

To be fair, it was a community effort so I presume that what's in is what people have submitted content for. I'll always kick myself for not putting some effort in at the time to slot in a few rods about Sword of the Stars: The Pit, one of the few of the modern roguelikes that actually deserves the name. Still love the book as it is, mind.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
My copy arrived today, that thing is massive. Opened a random page, and landed on Faery, Legends of Avalon. This game from Spiders is obscure even for codex standards, the thread has only one page: Faery: Legends of Avalon - Epic Turn-Based Battles
The short review is highly on point, the game is a generic JRPG in most places and would be widely unmemorable, if it wasn't for the wonderfull exploration, the neat visiual progression and just the naturally nice way of movement that flight presents.
I expect good things from this if it goes this much into niche while still being accurate with a certain degree of depth.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom