Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN The Blades of Netheril - unofficial sequel to NWN1 OC from Ossian's Luke Scull

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"Yes. It's a sequel to the OC that also hooks in to the expansions and my AL series. It is set weeks/months after both. Anyone familiar with my penchant for antiheroes, grimdarkery, tragedy and action sequences unrivaled in their manliness will see that the Realms are about to get fucked up."

You better add sexy babes with nice tits and great assses oh my its heaven.

"NWN OC is the worst RPG ever made."

FAKE NEWS unless NWN OC is the only RPG you have ever played.

POR2, ES series, and DTU are just three exmaples of MUCH, MUCH, MUCH worse RPGS.

So stop lying.

I think I remember reading Luke Scull's blog and he was a great fan of the Spartacus series. So there are no excuses really. We'll leave it to you to pester the poor man for the boobs and ass. I recommend the Codex threads on the subject for source material.

Luke Scull

Ossian Studios
Developer
Maybe Luke Scull could write an expansion for an IE game in the future?. Something centred around the party members of BG1? Like Yeslick trying to restore his clan's mine, or the mind flayers getting control of Durlag's Tower. I'm sure something along those lines would be well recieved.

Might take Beamdog 5+ years to make it, and another 5+ to patch it though. But I'm sure the avergage Codexer would get the game in before a save vs old age/death.

I'm saying nothing.

Luke Scull

Ossian Studios
Developer
"Yes. It's a sequel to the OC that also hooks in to the expansions and my AL series. It is set weeks/months after both. Anyone familiar with my penchant for antiheroes, grimdarkery, tragedy and action sequences unrivaled in their manliness will see that the Realms are about to get fucked up."

POR2, ES series, and DTU are just three exmaples of MUCH, MUCH, MUCH worse RPGS.

So stop lying.

I think I remember reading Luke Scull's blog and he was a great fan of the Spartacus series. So there are no excuses really. We'll leave it to you to pester the poor man for the boobs and ass. I recommend the Codex threads on the subject for source material.

This is still NWN1 we're talking about. If you get off to tits and ass in the NWN engine, I... well, I salute you.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"See, that happens when you talk about old Bioware games, suddenly a Volourn appears"

Not sudden. I never left. I post on other shit. Perhaps, you don't notice, because YOU only care about old BIO games. :shrug:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

So stop lying.

This is still NWN1 we're talking about. If you get off to tits and ass in the NWN engine, I... well, I salute you.

Some people on the codex are old, just a couple of pixels and a lot imagination was enough then

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I remember loving the bad, breathy voice acting for Aribeth in the NWN OC sooo many years ago because it perfectly fit the head-up-her-ass nature of her paladin character. The voice actress who did Aribeth in the followup - HotU - wasn't nearly as good because she wasn't nearly as bad. So i actually have very fond memories of the OC. However, I would be somewhat apprehensive about re-playing it today and would worry that I'd still enjoy it and that it might mean the first onset of dementia.

Voids

Augur
Yes the OC of NWN1 wasn't great, but it's still a lot better than the shit we have now. It has that old school fantasy feel as opposed to the nutless and gutless style that's so popular now.

Gargaune

Magister
So i actually have very fond memories of the OC. However, I would be somewhat apprehensive about re-playing it today and would worry that I'd still enjoy it and that it might mean the first onset of dementia.
I have fond memories of it too, but that's because it was my first actual cRPG. And you're right to be wary of replaying the OC, I did and I had to seriously push myself to finish it. It's not the story that's the problem, but the rote, by-the-numbers design. SoU was a massive leap forward and one of my favourite NWN campaigns to this day.

As for Aribeth... the one elf I wouldn't have killed, the one elf I had to kill.

:negative:

Don Peste

Arcane

So stop lying.

Some people on the codex are old, just a couple of pixels and a lot imagination was enough then
odbrbr9.jpg

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I remember loving the bad, breathy voice acting for Aribeth in the NWN OC sooo many years ago because it perfectly fit the head-up-her-ass nature of her paladin character.

NwN 1 is the best example of the right amount of VO. Only important characters are voiced and only the important lines.

Plot characters also had nifty musical themes play when you talk to them. No one did this since.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The OC itself... wasn't great, but it had a few good characters and some interesting themes. Also, the PC got shafted and ended up being exiled from the city he or she helped save, which serves up an interesting hook. This is a very different, much darker take on the Hero of Neverwinter's fate.

The OC has a railroaded "dragon ball" structure. It repeats in every arc. Collect the Waterdhavian creatures, collect the Words of Power, etc. But other than that, the OC is solid compared to shit we have nowadays.

You have plenty of peripeteia, interesting characters, optional content, good writing, changes of scenery, etc.

The quest when you needed to commit ritual suicide and travel into the spiritual plane to cure the forest spirit, or entering a snow globe to settle a perpetual astral war between fairies and dwarves in a pocket realm. Castle Jhareg with the two bros who age differently, etc. This is all leaps and bounds ahead of PoE, Tyranny or Kingmaker which doesn't even have a traditional quest structure but a buggy automated minigame.

Anyway it's hilarious to overreact so much on a forum where people literally like turds such as Skyrim, PoE, Outer Worlds or Fallout 4.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The quest when you needed to commit suicide to travel to the spiritual plane and cure the forest spirit, or entering a snow globe to settle a perpetual astral war between fairies and dwarves in a pocket realm. Castle Jhareg with the two bros who age differently, etc. There were plenty of cool quests.
It's a weird thing to have so many interesting side quests set up and an otherwise lackluster main quest. If the main quest wasn't merely an excuse to run through all these scenarios it would have been much worse, I suppose.

Zeriel

Arcane

It still kills me EE's sound engine is so trash.

I remember loving the bad, breathy voice acting for Aribeth in the NWN OC sooo many years ago because it perfectly fit the head-up-her-ass nature of her paladin character.

NwN 1 is the best example of the right amount of VO. Only important characters are voiced and only the important lines.

Plot characters also had nifty musical themes play when you talk to them. No one did this since.

I always preferred BG1's model. Although that and NWN are basically the same, though weirdly NWN feels low production in some ways.

Something about BG1's NPC barks is just so flavorful though, even after all these years. All those random civilians and throw-away vendors ooze so much flavor because of it.

Gargaune

Magister
The OC has a railroaded "dragon ball" structure. It repeats in every arc. Collect the Waterdhavian creatures, collect the Words of Power, etc. But other than that, the OC is solid compared to shit we have nowadays.
The OC's problem isn't the writing or even the lackluster quest design, it's the level and encounter design. Most of the level design consists of a very basic application of the toolset, with overlong, barren successions of corridors, filled with repetitive, uninspired encounter triggers. It's quite a grind and then most of the loot is dispensed through row after row of RNG chests, each one of them locked and trapped, each one of them taking a pointless round to disarm, another to unlock, and only to yield a greenstone and two paperclips. There are cool parts to it, like Castle Jhareg, the snow globe or the time travel dungeon, but overall NWN's OC is very basic on setpiece design and scripting relative to what followed, e.g. BioWare was so pressed to churn it out that they didn't even bother to track henchmen with variables, instead they check for a "token" object thrown into the PC's inventory.

Thing is, the OC was never the focus of NWN's development, the Toolset was. The project was prioritised as a coop and module-building platform first and foremost, with the starter campaign thrown together late into development to have something to ship with it and demo the Toolset. It was only with the expansions and PMs that BioWare pivoted back to a singleplayer campaign focus on the platform.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
NWN OC is the worst RPG ever made. I was hoping Ossian would be making their own game now, in an engine that doesn't suck...

They sort of did their own thing. Some mobile crap

The Shadow Sun was stupidly underrated, by the standards of mobile games.

The mistake was to make a mobile game

Yeah, it was. 4 years developing a mobile game was stupid. In the end, we'd have been better off developing it as a PC title. Plus, it launched in the same week at KotoR and cost the same or more. But I insist it was a very good mobile phone RPG.

How hard would it be to port it to PC and drop it on Steam?

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
How hard would it be to port it to PC and drop it on Steam?
I think it was made with Unity, so at the very least it shouldn't be impossible. However, while impressive and very ambitious for a mobile game (in 2013), it doesn't look like something anyone would play today on PC unironically.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Most of the level design consists of a very basic application of the toolset, with overlong, barren successions of corridors, filled with repetitive, uninspired encounter triggers.

Level design was still better than Raedric's Hold in PoE or Caed Nua which are 90% trashmob cancer. PST was 90% trashmob cancer too and it's ranked #1 on the Codex.

I'll remind you of Helms Hold in NwN, which despite Nwn being shat on regularly on the Dex, actually has, 1) a trapped demon with multiple solutions, 2) a merchant stable boy with unique stock, 3) an unrelated quest regarding undead infestation in the bottom level, and 4) prisoners with various additional information/quests.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Yes the OC of NWN1 wasn't great, but it's still a lot better than the shit we have now. It has that old school fantasy feel as opposed to the nutless and gutless style that's so popular now.

The NWN OC is one of the worst campaigns ever made for a PC game. Yes, worse than Ruins of Myth Drannor.

You only control a single character. In a D&D game. A system designed for a party. You can have ONE follower but he's uncontrollable so he'll always get himself killed, how fun.
This means the game has to be balanced to be beatable by any single class. You can't add encounters that challenge a diverse party of fighter-mage-cleric - every encounter has to be defeatable by every class on its own.

Which leads to the NWN OC's utterly terrible encounter design: trash mob, trash mob, trash mob, and yet another trash mob. I never managed to get out of the first chapter because of how soul-drainingly boring the game was. I remember spending 30 minutes to an hour in that fucking prison, mowing down mook after mook in torturously slow RTWP combat where my girl only swung her sword once every six seconds. And there were a dozen enemies to fight through. And most of them would take two to three hits to bring down. And not every swing was a hit, of course. That's three minutes of just sitting there, watching my warrioress trade blows with a bunch of weak prisoners who could barely hit her, occasionally quaffing a potion when I was low on health. Wow... so very engaging gameplay... amazing.

And then the lockpicking, trap disarming, and resting. All that shit took a lot of time. In Baldur's Gate, these actions were all instant. Select thief skill, click on locked chest, the game rolls the dice and tells you either "yes" or "no". In NWN, each attempt at unlocking something would have your character do an unlocking animation and it also took 6 seconds or so. Now imagine playing a thief and going through a location with a lot of locked chests and trapped doors. You'll be spending a LOT of time staring at lockpicking animations.

Resting is dumb too. You sit down, and again a 6 second countdown starts. In every sane RPG, resting is instantaneous: the screen goes black for 1 second and time skips ahead to when you wake up. In NWN, you have to fucking wait for no fucking reason.

I have played many, many RPGs over the years. I've been playing RPGs since the early 00s and encountered a lot of really bad shit. Horrible Russian Diablo clones that were a complete waste of time. Unoptimized Eurojank with more glitches than features.
And yet none of these trash games were as mind-numbingly slow and boring as NWN. It's like the devs deliberately set out to create the most sluggish and un-engaging game possible. It has a solid system at its core - D&D 3E - but not even the system can save the game because it only shines with a party. And you don't get a party. It's a solo character game, like a Diablo clone, except using a system that is completely unsuited for a Diablo clone.

As much as I try, I can't imagine how to make the experience even worse, other than by introducing game-breaking bugs. When it comes to gameplay design, NWN is a shining example of how not to do it. It takes a solid system and ruins it with the most mind-bogglingly terrible design decisions I have ever encountered. Everything in the game feels like it exists only to waste the player's time. Nothing feels fun to do. Everything is too slow. Walking across the map takes a long time and there is no speedup/fast travel. Unlocking doors and disarming traps takes a long time for no reason. Resting takes a long time for no reason (and doesn't even advance the time of day unlike Fallout, Arcanum, Elder Scrolls etc). Combat is slow and boring and lacks options because you're confined to a single character.

The only good thing is character building because the game has a decent implementation of the D&D 3E ruleset, but if I wanna do that I can just grab a character sheet and some D&D books and skip all the bad gameplay that NWN throws at me in-between levelup sessions.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

The NWN OC is one of the worst campaigns ever made for a PC game. Yes, worse than Ruins of Myth Drannor.

You only control a single character. In a D&D game. A system designed for a party. You can have ONE follower but he's uncontrollable so he'll always get himself killed, how fun.
This means the game has to be balanced to be beatable by any single class. You can't add encounters that challenge a diverse party of fighter-mage-cleric - every encounter has to be defeatable by every class on its own.

Which leads to the NWN OC's utterly terrible encounter design: trash mob, trash mob, trash mob, and yet another trash mob. I never managed to get out of the first chapter because of how soul-drainingly boring the game was. I remember spending 30 minutes to an hour in that fucking prison, mowing down mook after mook in torturously slow RTWP combat where my girl only swung her sword once every six seconds. And there were a dozen enemies to fight through. And most of them would take two to three hits to bring down. And not every swing was a hit, of course. That's three minutes of just sitting there, watching my warrioress trade blows with a bunch of weak prisoners who could barely hit her, occasionally quaffing a potion when I was low on health. Wow... so very engaging gameplay... amazing.

And then the lockpicking, trap disarming, and resting. All that shit took a lot of time. In Baldur's Gate, these actions were all instant. Select thief skill, click on locked chest, the game rolls the dice and tells you either "yes" or "no". In NWN, each attempt at unlocking something would have your character do an unlocking animation and it also took 6 seconds or so. Now imagine playing a thief and going through a location with a lot of locked chests and trapped doors. You'll be spending a LOT of time staring at lockpicking animations.

Resting is dumb too. You sit down, and again a 6 second countdown starts. In every sane RPG, resting is instantaneous: the screen goes black for 1 second and time skips ahead to when you wake up. In NWN, you have to fucking wait for no fucking reason.

I have played many, many RPGs over the years. I've been playing RPGs since the early 00s and encountered a lot of really bad shit. Horrible Russian Diablo clones that were a complete waste of time. Unoptimized Eurojank with more glitches than features.
And yet none of these trash games were as mind-numbingly slow and boring as NWN. It's like the devs deliberately set out to create the most sluggish and un-engaging game possible. It has a solid system at its core - D&D 3E - but not even the system can save the game because it only shines with a party. And you don't get a party. It's a solo character game, like a Diablo clone, except using a system that is completely unsuited for a Diablo clone.

As much as I try, I can't imagine how to make the experience even worse, other than by introducing game-breaking bugs. When it comes to gameplay design, NWN is a shining example of how not to do it. It takes a solid system and ruins it with the most mind-bogglingly terrible design decisions I have ever encountered. Everything in the game feels like it exists only to waste the player's time. Nothing feels fun to do. Everything is too slow. Walking across the map takes a long time and there is no speedup/fast travel. Unlocking doors and disarming traps takes a long time for no reason. Resting takes a long time for no reason (and doesn't even advance the time of day unlike Fallout, Arcanum, Elder Scrolls etc). Combat is slow and boring and lacks options because you're confined to a single character.

The only good thing is character building because the game has a decent implementation of the D&D 3E ruleset, but if I wanna do that I can just grab a character sheet and some D&D books and skip all the bad gameplay that NWN throws at me in-between levelup sessions.
Should have rolled a barbarian.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom