Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4X Great 4X games with neat visuals

Lycra Suit

Prophet
Possibly Retarded
I like it when I gradually spread my little empire over a large grid and gradually fill empty tiles with pretty structures but to my surprise I can't seem to find a lot of these.

I already know about SMAC and the Civ games. AoW on the other hand is too combat focused, not enough city management. Endless series is also too combat focused and combat is horrendously shit on top of that. Sins of a Solar Empire is an RTS. Dominions and Dwarf fortress reach depths of autism I'm too neurotypical to fathom.
And that's all that comes to mind. You would think with the success of the Civ games that the genre wouldn't be so niche.

minakami

Educated
Endless series has amazing graphics and music but gameplay wise it's kinda meh.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Children of the Nile. But its really more of just a city builder. You're probably not going to find any game that perfectly mixes the combat stuff of a 4x with the city building of a city builder.

1F4A999CB33FEE565DB27EF8C89139F4BE4E407D

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I like it when I gradually spread my little empire over a large grid and gradually fill empty tiles with pretty structures but to my surprise I can't seem to find a lot of these.

I already know about SMAC and the Civ games. AoW on the other hand is too combat focused, not enough city management. Endless series is also too combat focused and combat is horrendously shit on top of that. Sins of a Solar Empire is an RTS. Dominions and Dwarf fortress reach depths of autism I'm too neurotypical to fathom.
And that's all that comes to mind. You would think with the success of the Civ games that the genre wouldn't be so niche.
I suggest you try Enemy Nations

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
To my knowledge, there is not a single proper 4X/City builder hybrid to this day. Some games might come close, but nothing like what you suggest. It might be a good idea for a new game but both genres are niche so a hybrid of 2 niche genres won't have neat visuals due to low production values.

i so wish we had a proper sequel to deuteros =_= not a today's one, a proper one. and one to reunion (which isn't imperium galactica) too i wouldn't mind.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Id say Haegemonia Legions of Iron. Came out around 2003, but for some reason still looks great. Must've been a looker back then.
Its also a lot of fun.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Elemental fallen enchantress would fit the bill.
It’s a simplistic 4x in which every city building except houses is physically shown on map so meets your requirements.

Although if you can somehow get an earlier version would be even better.
Cities used to take a big chunk of the map but sadly players hated this enough they cut down on city sprawling caused by house spamming. There is still enough buildings you can see your cities grow to decent sizes but yeah, rip mega cities.

Lycra Suit

Prophet
Possibly Retarded
Elemental fallen enchantress would fit the bill.
It’s a simplistic 4x in which every city building except houses is physically shown on map so meets your requirements.

Although if you can somehow get an earlier version would be even better.
Cities used to take a big chunk of the map but sadly players hated this enough they cut down on city sprawling caused by house spamming. There is still enough buildings you can see your cities grow to decent sizes but yeah, rip mega cities.

Thanks for the suggestion I remembered this game existed. I also recall reading some mixed opinions about it back in 2016 or even earlier on the codex. Is it buggy/unbalanced/easy? Did the 2.0+ fix those?

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Mixed opinion sounds about right.

Been a few years since played it but from what I recall, last patch along with a sparse but still existing modding scene resulted in an allright game, had some fun playthroughs.
The only bug I've ever encountered was mod related. In terms of balance, I say don't expect a balanced game, map generation matters a lot and there is some rng in terms of which quests your heroes find and what loot they acquire which can end up mattering if one were to be competitive.
Certainly never found it easy since ai is ok for a 4x (stardock ai tends to be better then most, granted for 4x that's not saying much) and maps can be quite challenging with the right settings.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom