Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Weird West: Definitive Edition - top-down immersive sim action-RPG from Arkane founder Raf Colantonio

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Too woke for me. You can play as a stronk black womyn or as a white pig.
Huh? The characters are white guy werewolf, Pigman, Native American guy, white female bounty hunter, and what looks like a woman with big hoop earrings.

Harthwain

Magister
Too woke for me. You can play as a stronk black womyn or as a white pig.
Huh? The characters are white guy werewolf, Pigman, Native American guy, white female bounty hunter, and what looks like a woman with big hoop earrings.
I think he means the Bounty Hunter/Marshall named Jane Bell from the 6th screenshot?

ss_81d9f0c200ce46232a50624dff9f68a620066519.1920x1080.jpg
The portrait on the left looks indeed to be white, however the figure on the right has shading on her face and the colors are dark, so I can understand the assumption.

Still, it's literally called "Weird West"...

Hobo Elf

Arcane
so this is, what, real time with party stuff? Kind of a hard pass for me there as I don't really see how you can marry that with the immersive sim part. Being top down was already stretching it for me.

Mauman

Learned
This talk about "weird west" kinda makes me wish for a deadlands rpg....

Then I remember that the creators started neutering themselves for certain groups that I will leave unnamed and I think maybe it's for the best that it doesn't exist.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Christophe Carrier, the fomer level design director on Dishonored 2. Didn't realize he works for WolfEye.

:rpgcodex:

People Raf tagged in his Facebook post. He could bring some good pals:
Level design is king, eh? I wish he could bring Steve Powers.

Any proof these people have jumped ship from Arkane to work for WolfEye?

Some of them updated their Linkedin profiles. Yeah, I'm pretty sure Raf tagged them because they're with him.

Harthwain

Magister
These are the dumbest subtitles I have seen so far ("NARRATION CONTINUES")... Maybe make music less loud (so it doesn't kill the narrator's voice) if you can't bother making PROPER subtitles for your video?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/07/15/weird-west-comes-to-ps4-this-fall/

Weird West comes to PS4 this fall

Weird-West-Key-Art.jpg

Hello PlayStation community! We are Raphael Colantonio and Julien Roby, studio directors at WolfEye Studios, and today we’re proud to announce that our debut title as an independent studio, Weird West, is coming to PlayStation 4 this fall.

The West’s full of tall tales…
Weird West is all about stories; stories of redemption and honor, yarns of strangeness and oddity, and tales of the down-right disgusting. In our game, you’ll play as five different characters in a series of interconnected journeys, all bound together by the hunt for the truth behind the burning mark they’ve all been branded with. In this blog, we’ll be going over two of those five Journeys.

Thought she could hang up her shootin’ irons for good
First up, we’ll be talking about the Bounty Hunter. Once the most respected name in the West, you’ve hung up your shooting irons and taken to a life on the farm after a deathbed promise to your grandfather. But that calm existence won’t last long. In the dead of night, you wake to a burning mark on your neck and the sounds of screaming outside Your son, dead in the dirt. Your husband gone, and only one thing to do: dig up your long-forgotten past and get your revenge.

A cowboy drunk on the moon
Now onto something more—esoteric—in nature: the Werewolf journey. You’re a Devotee of the Absolutionist faith. You folk have been shepherds of the West, peaceful. But now a rival faction has started exterminating your kind. Prejudice, seems like. Malice. With your numbers dwindling, and the Absolutionist faith nearly wiped off the face of the West, a divine prophecy has shown you how to protect your people. But not without a cost: an affinity for the moon. A rage you can barely contain. Finally, after a blood-fuelled night defending everything you love from thes wrongdoers, you awaken with a burning mark. Sign of a prophecy. What you choose to do with it is up to you…

You five—you’re tied together
Weird West features five of these unique Journeys. However you play—the way you fight, the conversations you have, the posses you create or destroy—will be individual to you in our immersive sim. Shoot at ammo boxes to create makeshift bombs, throw fire into a tornado to create a free-roaming fire hazard, soak your enemies before using lightning for a little extra zap; these are just a few ways the world will react to your gameplay style and let you create your own story when we release this fall.

We hope you enjoyed a peek behind the curtain of our debut game. We’re really excited to show you more in the months to come. Thanks, and stay safe!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I like the song but it doesn't really feel quite appropriate for the setting (needs more acoustic guitar). Though apparently it's 100% their decision because Raphaël Colantonio co-wrote/performed it. +M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/07/15/weird-west-hits-xbox-this-fall/

Prepare for Your Journey as Weird West Hits Xbox This Fall

Hello Xbox community! We’ve been working away on our debut title Weird West for a while now, and we’re extremely excited to announce that it’s coming to Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S this Fall. As this is the first time we’re writing to you, we figured we’d give you an exclusive look at two of the journeys you’ll be taking during your time in the Old West.

CopperMountain.jpg

Weird West is a third-person immersive sim set in a dark fantasy reimagining of the Old West. Gunslingers, evil stalking the night, ritual performers, and people cursed to live freakish lives fill the world with unique and exciting encounters. And beware: Your ally can quickly become your foe as you hunt for the meaning of the burning mark at the heart of your story.

Weird West features five intertwined Journeys, and here we’ll dip into two of them, the Oneirist and the Pigman.

Canker.jpg

The Oneirists have spent their time in the West perfecting the art of future telling to protect the land from its own dark devices. As a new initiate to their order, you’ll begin the Oneirist journey by slipping into your first vision trance that shows you a much grimmer future than initiates normally see. Your journey won’t be an easy one—a whole future hangs in the balance—but with a heap of magical abilities, alongside a six shooter or two, you’ll have as good a shot as you could hope for to save the West from what’s coming.

Somnolence.jpg

Moving on to something a little different now: the Pigman journey. You were a man once, sure, but now your body’s been transformed into half-human half-pig by somebody with a bone to pick. Now you’re unsightly. Disgusting to the people you once knew; even entering a town in Weird West will cause folks to shout insults, or worse—sic the law on you. As your journey begins, you’ll thirst for one thing and one thing only: to find the person who did this to you and discover their reasons for doing it. But looking like a monster brings out the worst in people, so don’t expect it to be an easy ride.

Weird-West-Journeys-Oneirist-versus-Cave-Terror.jpg

These are just two of the five journeys you’ll take in Weird West, where no two are the same. As an immersive experience, you’ll create posse’s, form friendships, and enemies.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post, we’re extremely excited to be releasing on Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S this Fall. Follow @WolfEyeGames and @devolverdigital for all the latest info on Weird West.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom