Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware System Shock 3 by OtherSide Entertainment - taken over by Tencent!

Eli_Havelock

Learned
Was Spector really involved in Ascendant? I was under the impression he's been on hiatus since Epic [sic] Mickey. Not that I'm suggesting his mere presence would somehow "save" SS3, just wasn't aware whether he's had a role in UA.

Spector was the Creative Whatever for UA in charge of something that was trying to turn emergent gameplay into level scores posted on social media. So great of a visionary that the first producer Chris Siegel thought he was working on something completely different than that or the KS bait. That is, when the latter bothered to show up for anything involved with the game, as he often sounded like he didn't have any idea what was going on because he wasn't involved despite being credited and called producer. Good timing on finding Rich Gallup to steer the assets being made into something a bit playable, even if unintentionally.

But yeah, OSE Austin felt the repeat of ION STORM - as if John Romero fucked up BOTH Dallas and Austin.

Efe

Erudite
he is putting his name on it.
he is involved even if he does nothing

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Warren's Austin team is now hiring leads, for a new, original IP project. https://otherside-e.com/wp/jobs/

Notable things from the postings.

Lead Engineer:

The studio is looking for a Lead Software Engineer to join a team getting underway on a new, original game franchise. The candidate will be part of the leadership team, and work closely with Warren Spector, the creative director on the project, to help flesh out the vision for the game. They will be called upon to lead technical prototyping, build out the shared engine technology based on the company’s existing UE4 based tech stack, tackle some of the big technical challenges, build and mentor a small engineering team, and help ensure the that design and art teams on the project get the technical support they need to be effective. Role will be a blend of hands-on coding and engineering leadership

Skill developing responsive and robust multiplayer game systems

Lead Designer:

At least 5 years’ prior experience as a senior or lead game designer, working on PC or console games that are at least loosely similar to genre of games OtherSide makes.

Have worked from concept through ship on at least one triple-I or AAA PC or console game that earned top reviews and sold robustly.

So Warrent's new project too has some kind of multiplayer elements?

Anyway, this pretty much confirms what some people suspected, that Otherside won't be directly involved in Tencent's SS3.

Gargaune

Magister
What? Seriously, there is such a thing as excessive granularity.

Edit: I need to stop taking breaks mid-shitpost. mindx2, I imagine "III" is meant to be a sort of "AAA indie" as if we didn't have enough pointless jargon.

Eli_Havelock

Learned
At least 5 years’ prior experience as a senior or lead game designer, working on PC or console games that are at least loosely similar to genre of games OtherSide makes.

I.E. Anything you could bullshit for a paycheck, as not even OtherSide knew what the fuck they were making at any time in the studio's existence while begging for money and publisher acknowledgement.

Birds of a feather and all that. Similarly, UA seemed to be in the same genre as Little Inferno.

Last edited:

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Since EA apparently has recently sold the rights to the Syndicate and Ultima Underworld franchises, something tells me that there may be a connection here...

EDIT: Recently GOG was asked by the publisher to pull the Underworld and Syndicate games from it store. And the games were also pulled from the EA store, as well, so chances are that the games have found a new publisher. Maybe "Ultima Underworld 3" or "Syndicate: the New World" will be a new way to get more spyware on western computers :P

Last edited:

Gargaune

Magister
According to Feargus, Obsidian were at one point going to make the follow-up to Human Revolution.

Agent Navarre slowly turns her head as you approach, a motion that vaguely reminds you of the shifting of an icy glacier - deliberate, indomitable and frostily cold. Her one natural eye narrows almost at the edge of perception, while a ravenous red glowing radiation glows in the ocular augmentation that serves as the former's pair, menacing and hungry like the maw of a starving F'am'ph'hyyyr. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum. Unnaturally resplendent against her pallid white blanched skin, Anna's rouged lips, the colour of deep red oxygenated blood, part and when she speaks it feels like the icy, glacial kiss of a scalpel's blade across your nape in some long-forgotten nightmare now made flesh in her presence.

"Ekera, my new partner, JC Denton."

kangaxx

Arbiter
The Discord is hitting new peaks.

AAA:

[23:11] BBB:
the fuck is that
[23:42] CCC:
ball fish
[23:50] DDD:
ball fish
[23:50] EEE:
nut fish
[23:52] FFF:
cock ficsh
[23:52] EEE:
Ew.
[23:52] EEE:
That's nasty.
[05:13] BBB:
dick toy on a fishing pole

Then on the 7th Sep:

22:50] JJJ:
F for System Shock 3

I've cut out a fair bit of additional chat about fish genitalia.

Eli_Havelock

Learned

Why? It probably had better-developed factions than Underworld Ass-ended and better hopes for a future than OSE System Shock 3.

Speaking of fish genitals, RIP Derpy FAUXDAN

The biggest horror was seeing what they did to her, especially her speech lines. Compared to SS and SS2, the lines for SS3 were absolutely... huh? I can understand if there's a lore reason, like SHODAN's just had the AI equivalent of several strokes, but all that's been shown so far has made it sound like she's down to the point you could take her out with the ol' paradoxical statement or maybe even just a divide by zero.

Monolith

Prophet

Why? It probably had better-developed factions than Underworld Ass-ended and better hopes for a future than OSE System Shock 3.

Speaking of fish genitals, RIP Derpy FAUXDAN

The biggest horror was seeing what they did to her, especially her speech lines. Compared to SS and SS2, the lines for SS3 were absolutely... huh? I can understand if there's a lore reason, like SHODAN's just had the AI equivalent of several strokes, but all that's been shown so far has made it sound like she's down to the point you could take her out with the ol' paradoxical statement or maybe even just a divide by zero.
Buddy, do yourself a favour, drop that avatar and slowly walk away.

Eli_Havelock

Learned
Buddy, do yourself a favour, drop that avatar and slowly walk away.

I know it's been over 20 years but my face hasn't changed THAT much I would need to get rid of it. But what can I say? You've got good taste. :incline:

This amusing coincidence seems kind of apropos to a topic involving Paul Neurath and Warren Spector both wearing an LGS skinmask. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom