Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny + Bastard's Wound Expansion Thread

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Unfortunately, due to the Paradox/Obsidian conflict, I suspect the IP is in some ownership hell, and no one will ever be able to touch it again (see Myth series for another example).

Paradox has full ownership over Tyranny since they provided all the funding.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Wanted to try it again on PotD rebel path - on my first run I gave up during the battle for Ascension Hall, because it was just too damn hard (party 2h MC/Verse/Lantry/Eb).

No matter how many times I've tried, I always got wasted by the second wave of Disfavoured - after they break the fortifications and rush with some semi-boss, two mages and couple of regulars. I guess the weak link here is Eb - I'm recruiting her just before the battle and as a mage she's just too damn weak, with lore around 45-50 she can't craft any decent spells.

The fight would be probably easier with a full blown tank - assuming that I reject her initial offer to join and keep Barik for this fight, is there an option to recruit her later on again, after the Hall is defended?

Piotrovitz

Savant
Yeah, I've heard that, but want to finish it anyway, as I've enjoyed PoE combat system and the setting and overall lore seems cool here.

So when it comes to NPCs - where do they go once you dump them? And when it comes to Eb and rebel path - is there a way to recruit her again after the ascension hall fight, once you refuse her initial offer to join?

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Unfortunately, due to the Paradox/Obsidian conflict, I suspect the IP is in some ownership hell, and no one will ever be able to touch it again (see Myth series for another example).

Paradox has full ownership over Tyranny since they provided all the funding.

I am 100% sure Paradox would give the IP to Obsidian if they want to work on it in the future. They would benefit somehow in having a good relationship with Microsoft.

I really think Obsidian should work in a sequel for it. The setting is so good, it would benefit from having a good development time and resources.

zapotec

Liturgist
I just finished it, unfortunately when the game starts to get interesting it ends.

Hovewer, i didn't like pillar of crap combat and the ultra-verbose dialogues so i cannot reccomend it unless you want:

Fighting against 5 maximum 6 different enemy types and that means...
...that combat is always the same repeating shit.
Super small maps, i think they are approximatevly of the same size of Baldur's gate Warehouse building.
All the maps looks the same.
The aforementioned ultra-verbose dialogue.
Strong Women everywhere
There is one dungeon? Two with the dlcs and there is just two monsters indie, a blue sparlking thing and a red sparkling thing.
It cost 50 euro, 75-80 euro with the two dlc (the dlcs does not add anything of value)
Quest companions are in the second dlc (super paradox cheap tactic)

I bought it a 7 euro during a gog sale, that's the right price.

Demo.Graph

Arbiter
What's the hivemind opinion on Tyranny?

I've almost finished first act (I suppose, I'm right before the attack on the spire). I'm pretty disappointed so far. The writing is wordy and out of style, factions and character interactions aren't really beleiveable and reputation system is seriously unbalanced (as far as I can see after, what, 10-25% of the game?), combat is samey.
Will it all get better later?

It's the first Obsidian game I play. I had a preliminary impression that they're regarded as one of the few developers of quality RPGs these days. Am I wrong?

purupuru

Learned
No. The writing and enemy variety stays consistently bad. The only thing that does get better is that you will find more and more spell accents and expressions so you can construct some fancy custom spells, which sadly doesn't make the game more tactical.

Alphons

Cipher
enemy variety stays consistently bad

I'd say it gets worse, as Vendrien Guard scouts that can teleport past your tank are only encountered during the First Act.

reputation system is seriously unbalanced

This also gets worse. After choosing your side at the end of Act 1 Reputation gets thrown out the window- you'll max Rep with your allies, even if you piss them off on every occasion and you'll max out wrath with factions you didn't allign with even if you try not to.
There's one Reputation that is an exception
Tunon

It's the first Obsidian game I play. I had a preliminary impression that they're regarded as one of the few developers of quality RPGs these days. Am I wrong?

If by these days you mean 10 years ago, then you aren't wrong.

Butter

Arcane
Patron

I've almost finished first act (I suppose, I'm right before the attack on the spire). I'm pretty disappointed so far. The writing is wordy and out of style, factions and character interactions aren't really beleiveable and reputation system is seriously unbalanced (as far as I can see after, what, 10-25% of the game?), combat is samey.

Tyranny is one of Obsidian's weaker efforts, and falls into the "good in theory, terrible in execution" category. It had its budget and personnel ransacked in order to improve Pillars of Eternity, which will become more apparent as you progress.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath

Good premise, shit execution. There are some good aspects of the game, i like the skill level and Spell system. Other than that it's pretty shitty.

The game tries to be evil and edgy but fails in that because the writers have a comical conception of what "being" evil means. The whole story becomes a mess through that, it has clearly been written by people who believe that nobody would serve willingly what they perceive as evil and therefore the whole premise is "revolution" not making a philosophical or player driven story based on how they perceive the world and the impact that would have.

It's a setting that assumes that Power is something that exists in vacuum, the grand evil is only in power because it's strong therefore it is always right to topple it.

Sarathiour

Cipher
The game tries to be evil and edgy but fails in that because the writers have a comical conception of what "being" evil means. The whole story becomes a mess through that, it has clearly been written by people who believe that nobody would serve willingly what they perceive as evil and therefore the whole premise is "revolution" not making a philosophical or player driven story based on how they perceive the world and the impact that would have.

uh, what ? Pretty much all of interaction are utilitarian evil, contrary to the typical bioware's game where you can just act evil for the sake of it. The local power just have been toppled by a ruthless empire, of course there not going to be too happy about it. Also i don't understand the bit about revolution.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I can't see how the Kyrios which is Lord in Greek is even evil the bronze age aristocratic city states where only wombyn were fit to rule and own land are conquered onto modern iron age Empire which brings common market, rule of law. religious unity and equality for all its citizens. Much of :incline: for all who were not one of priviliged aristocratic wombyn.

Even Red Choir although scum had its uses as fifth column although my Fatebinder of course sided with Disfavorerd who give Commissar the Roman Legion vibe. Game was not bad but it was rushed, was buggy and junky both after release and even more so with DLCs and its great premis of being able to RP in bronze age was marred by writer being modern Kwans and thus having no idead what is real evil or hardship.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath

uh, what ? Pretty much all of interaction are utilitarian evil, contrary to the typical bioware's game where you can just act evil for the sake of it. The local power just have been toppled by a ruthless empire, of course there not going to be too happy about it. Also i don't understand the bit about revolution.

It is clearly not the issue that the local factions try to resist the Empire and it should clearly be an option to side with the factions against the Empire that is not the issue here.

The issue is that all paths lead to antagonizing of the superhero overlord of the empire because you have become a superhero as well, remember at the time of release there was no option to side with the original faction you were aligned with.
All story arcs revolve around in-fighting and treason and thus the revolution of the empire regardless of faction.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...nys-greatness-shouldnt-be-so-much-of-a-secret

The Double-A Team: Tyranny's greatness shouldn't be so much of a secret
A quick blast of evil.

Tyranny, the Infinity Engine-esque RPG Kickstarted by Obsidian that isn't Pillars of Eternity, is hands down one of the finest RPGs I've ever played. It takes the familiar template Bioware laid down with Baldur's Gate and does interesting and innovative things with the world and story, all wrapped up in a relatively lean thirty-hour playtime. Unfortunately, I'm the only bugger who's played it.

Yeah, yeah, I know. Some other people must have played it, obviously. There's a review on this very website. The problem is that no-one I know has played it, so I can't discuss all the twists and turns with anyone. It's very frustrating, so I resolved to do something about it.

Friends, I have made it my life's mission to get people to play this bloody game, and the fine folks at Eurogamer have allowed me to use their fancy digital grimoire to spread my message. I won't tell you how many fetch quests I had to do for them first.

The unique selling point of Tyranny is that you get to be the bad guy. It's nothing new per se, plenty of RPGs let you kick puppies and threaten peasants for a few extra coppers, but Tyranny is entirely structured around your position as an agent of the evil Overlord Kyros, the same way The Witcher is entirely about witching. Witchering. Whatever.

In reality, very few people actually think they're evil and that's very much reflected in the game. You're not required to engage in cackling pantomime villainy and even the more extreme NPCs are presented as well-rounded individuals who have very good reasons for doing what they do. Do you want to side with the murderous, yet staunchly equal-opportunities sorcerer, or the cheerfully avuncular fascist?

While by no means a sandbox, being tied to a mostly linear narrative, Tyranny gives plenty of freedom to stamp your character's identity on the story. Right out of the gate, you're given the option to throw in with the disparate factions who are resisting Kyros' rule, although whether that's out of genuine altruism or a desire to build your own power base is up to you.

That's the key to Tyranny's greatness. By narrowing its focus, it can support all manner of different choices (and consequences, natch). No, you can't ignore the story to start a farm, but it's very rare that you can't navigate the game's various scenarios in exactly the way you'd like to. The icing on this devilish food cake is that it doesn't take an age to finish. Thirty hours is lengthy enough, but by the standards of your Dragon Ages and Mass Effects, it's pretty tight. As a result, it's one of the few games I've played in the past decade or so that I've finished more than once, which is a real boon for an RPG that offers so many options.

I've not even scratched the surface of how much I love this game. I even enjoy the fights and I hate real-time-with-pause combat. It's been in numerous bundles and giveaways, so there's a good chance you own it already. If you enjoy a good RPG, you owe it to yourself to check it out. Or at least do it for me, so I have someone to talk to about Tyranny.

Kickstarted

smh

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Dont NO me faggot.

Does Tyranny have the Endless Dungeons of Odd Title? No

Does Tyranny spell things lîke thîs fôr nó rêásôn? No

Does Pillars of Eternity have a branching Fallout style storyline? No

Does it have a badass art style that's some kind of mix between Art Deco and sci-fi? No.

That's whats no

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom