Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Perkel

Arcane
They will be nerfing hard damage supports + give them negative effects to make other supports much more viable which honestly they were noit. Just tabula + 5 supports would get you to T13 easily.

There are still some things i don't like in modern poe like ability spam aoe attacks literally making single target not existent mechanic since monster patch where they doubled monster pack sizes everywhere.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
fuck the expedition.

Rebalance seems like to be best thing that will happen to POE in fucking years.

1. Flask spam gone
2. Triggers finally will use mana and will give them a way to fix mana.
3. Movement skills hyge nerf
4. damage support gems nerfed hard + actual downsides to them
5. rebalance of part of poe monsters with further ones in next expansions

This is huge change.

It only lacks:

- monster pack size reduction
- rework of monster prefixes/affixes
- making run speed much harder to get

and we are talking about new golden age.

This sounds like pure incline. Let's see how they will fuck it up again.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
fuck the expedition.

Rebalance seems like to be best thing that will happen to POE in fucking years.

1. Flask spam gone
2. Triggers finally will use mana and will give them a way to fix mana.
3. Movement skills hyge nerf
4. damage support gems nerfed hard + actual downsides to them
5. rebalance of part of poe monsters with further ones in next expansions

This is huge change.

It only lacks:

- monster pack size reduction
- rework of monster prefixes/affixes
- making run speed much harder to get

and we are talking about new golden age.

This sounds like pure incline. Let's see how they will fuck it up again.

Slowing the gameplay is fine (and good in the long term), but it does need to be combined with other elements.

1. Buffing defences and character survivability. The increase in one shots and fragility was mostly a response to zoom zoom playstyles, which ironically never really affected the strongest meta builds anyway as they were killing everything from 2 screens away.

2. Increasing rewards. Slower gameplay means that drops need to be more rewarding, less drops but make them better.

3. To stop designing everything around the meta 1%. The game is already almost impenetrable for the average player who doesn't no life it.

Purely nerfing damage across the board, with no other changes, is not going to put the game in a very healthy state. I'm hoping this is the start of the changes to transition the playstyle for POE2.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
These changes at some point might be good but in next league it will be terrible. New atlas is way too grindy and item drops are terrible and enemies are way too deadly.
Until you also fix that nothing will change.

At least they brought back Royale. I will try that to see if it is fun, if not I will keep waiting for PoE 2

tritosine2k

Erudite
Now instead of basalt flask all sorts of casters (except minion with kingmaker) add fortify from vigilant strike

once everyone runs fortify they nip it in the bud before POE2.

Norfleet

At the same time, nerfing player power level means to me that playing meta builds becomes so much more attractive.
This is a given, and the natural result of any generalized nerf that broadly reduces player power, yes: Assuming you need a given power threshold to succeed comfortably and without the experience becoming tedious, reducing the ease with which this level can be achieved will drive players towards meta builds as more non-meta builds become incapable of reaching this level, a problem made worse by the fact that players have become accustomed to a given level and will thus see underperformance to their previously set standards as deeply dissatisfying experiences. This will push them to chase meta to get it back, which will in turn drive up their standards.

I have directly seen this effect in a different shitty MMO, where a massive nerf to overall player effectiveness pushed an aggressive new DPS-chase that ultimately resulted in players shortly putting out even higher numbers than before. Except before, achieving tolerable performance was widely accessible to the masses, while after, it involved really expensive items, so the overall active playerbase rapidly declined.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Purely nerfing damage across the board with no other changes, is not going to put the game in a very healthy state. I'm hoping this is the start of the changes to transition the playstyle for POE2.
I agree. It's possible this is the beginning of moving the game to a better state, but I still suspect this league will be pretty bad, and I don't have huge confidence the devs will actually move it to a healthy state considering how they've moved the game before.

ArchAngel

Arcane
If we all agree on this, surely the devs will see it that way as well ...

*self-rates fabulously optimistic*
No way. 1% top players and streamers will not notice a big difference except earning more selling new wanted items to everyone desperate to only play most meta builds.
I almost never played meta builds, at worst I would try last league meta build after it was nerfed and items for it are no longer super costly. And each league it was harder and harder to get to red maps and not die all the time. Even with extra defensive builds I would not be able to clear packs fast enough and I would still die here and there.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
If we all agree on this, surely the devs will see it that way as well ...

*self-rates fabulously optimistic*
No way. 1% top players and streamers will not notice a big difference except earning more selling new wanted items to everyone desperate to only play most meta builds.
I almost never played meta builds, at worst I would try last league meta build after it was nerfed and items for it are no longer super costly. And each league it was harder and harder to get to red maps and not die all the time. Even with extra defensive builds I would not be able to clear packs fast enough and I would still die here and there.

I've always been happy to play a decent build off meta. The problem with the way GGG nerfs things is it always hits off meta builds much worse than the flavour of the week.

The 1%'ers don't really care as they'll just play whatever is super powerful at the time. A build based off less used skills and gear tends to get hit much harder.

GGG claims it's about reducing the power of top builds, and whilst it does achieve that, it also fucks over the mid tier players and builds much harder.

Reever

Scholar
Patron
Not exactly excited about the balance changes. I'm all for making the game slower but I think they completely missed the mark. The league mechanic is also pretty underwhelming but we'll see.
Some of the new skills look fun so I'll probably give them a try, find out they're shit alongside the fact that I'm trash at making builds and quit the league.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Well, it has frozen orb, so I guess I'll have to play it. Well played Chris, well played.

League looks fine, my main gripe from previous leagues has been the rampant spam of rare mobs that dont threaten you individually, but have them aura-buff each other and suddenly you get onetapped through multiple defensive layers. Being able to see where you will unearth them and potentially avoid them means my main gripe with previous league is actually addressed in a certain way, so I'll be somewhat looking forward to it.

New skills look fine, I'm particularly intrigued by the flask-consuming concoction. The basedmg at lv1 is pretty massive, so if it scales well you might be able to run some weird pathfinder stuff with it. Interesting indeed (although probably not very useful on bosses).

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
League looks fine, my main gripe from previous leagues has been the rampant spam of rare mobs that dont threaten you individually, but have them aura-buff each other and suddenly you get onetapped through multiple defensive layers. Being able to see where you will unearth them and potentially avoid them means my main gripe with previous league is actually addressed in a certain way, so I'll be somewhat looking forward to it.
Fabulously optimistic of you to think they won't spawn randomly amongst chaff, as chest guards, or other invisible things.

I am marginally intrigued by the Reaper minion and spell cry, but scaling spell and physical attack at the same time seems hard, and minion builds are something I've done before. Chaos rain seems cool, but the self damage looks too steep for a budget build.

Absinthe

Arcane
Hm, with that new Basalt Flask I guess we're going to see 2x Replica Dreamfeather + Iron Reflexes + Willowgift build using Alchemist's Jade Flask of Reflexes, Alchemist's Granite Flask of Iron Skin, and an Alchemist's Basalt Flask. The only question is whether it's better to do Determination + Grace or just Supreme Ego style Determination. Probably Supreme Ego is better if you pack enough evasion.

For CI Reflexes builds you're probably going to see the less crazy Experimenter's Granite Flask of Iron Skin + Experimenter's Jade Flask of Reflexes + Experimenter's Basalt Flask with Determination and Grace and then a bunch of endurance charges on top.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Hm, with that new Basalt Flask I guess we're going to see 2x Replica Dreamfeather + Iron Reflexes + Willowgift build using Alchemist's Jade Flask of Reflexes, Alchemist's Granite Flask of Iron Skin, and an Alchemist's Basalt Flask. The only question is whether it's better to do Determination + Grace or just Supreme Ego style Determination. Probably Supreme Ego is better if you pack enough evasion.

For CI Reflexes builds you're probably going to see the less crazy Experimenter's Granite Flask of Iron Skin + Experimenter's Jade Flask of Reflexes + Experimenter's Basalt Flask with Determination and Grace and then a bunch of endurance charges on top.
Sounds boring, I will rather play some other game.

tritosine2k

Erudite

Sounds boring, I will rather play some other game.

Apparently not everyone got the memo about reduced flask charge gained? (negated with chemist prefix) And reworked ailment immunity? (not only basalt is next to useless and now MoM is OP because "essence extraction" :lol:?)

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
ArchAngel, PoE is a pretty boring game. It's a repetitive clickfest of a grind. The interesting aspect is making builds. And once you've finished building your god skill, you just mash it to destroy all life.

tritosine2k, that's going to get overcome easily. There are more than enough ways to get increased flask charges gained, flask charges from crits, increased flask duration, and reduced flask charges consumed. The laziest way to fix your flask charge generation problem is to get an Overflowing Chalice flask and use the new Enkindling Orb to give it something like +90% duration in exchange for the flask being unable to gain flask charges while active (which means nothing because Overflowing Chalice already does that) and then you just keep Overflowing Chalice active whenever you need other flasks to recharge faster.

On a side note, it seems Doryani's Fist + Manastorm + Rigwald's Curse + Mind of the Council + Brutal Restraint (Nasima) has potential to do massive damage.

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
It's not a question of whether the impacts of any nerf can be mitigated. It's the opportunity cost of doing so. Raider losing 50% Elemental Immunity doesn't mean a Raider can't reach 100% EI, it's that more item/passive investment is necessary to do so.

Overall, I'm okay with the nerfs.

Lots of good nerfs. Ctrl+F, type impale, 0 results. What the fuck?

There's a whole section on the general nerfing of damage supports that impale will probably get hit by. Very few were mentioned by name, but all will be affected.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
xp70nqol99c71.jpg

I don't know about these nerfs, but I find it very interesting that the specifically name "6 link setups with 5 awakened gems" in them as problematic. 5 awakened gems (at max level) is so ridiculously high end, at that point you should just let people stomp everything. Same with how they mention that "some people may struggle to craft 5 or 6 links in the campaign, especially in early league". Am I the only one who almost always does the entire campaign on a 4link? And how alt quality and alt uniques strongly impact the balance decisions. Really makes me more and more convinced that the feature creep is the real issue here.

Some of the nerfs are good though. Narrowing the difference between support gems is good, it's really weird when the pure damage gems give like 50% more and the cool gems (like chain) give 30% less. Still, I tend to struggle with red maps (have made it to sirus twice, used up all 6 portals without killing him both times) and I suspect these changes will likely stop me from progressing past yellow maps in SSF. There's some highly significant nerfs here to both damage and survivability.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Honestly I find the difference between one support gem setup or another to be insignificant. POE is entirely about learning not to stand at the wrong place at the wrong time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom