Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Larianshill

Arbiter
That is Karlach.

RjOKqgF.png

Atchodas

Augur
Is this interesting enough to play as it currently is?
Only if you feel like paying Swen 60 bucks to beta test his game.
And spoiling yourself before you can make a full playtrough on finished product (so like couple years after official release)
I personally just dont bother with games now until at least half year after they are released and then i get benefit of less bugs and i pay half price on sales

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
jackofshadows Don't give me that rating, bro. She's a good companion. Though once Cyber Monk makes it in, I'll probably favor the monk more.
Of course she's good but even the mere idea of comparing her to Shadowheart baffles me. Faythe isn't and will never be as fleshed out as SH not to mention sex appeal and romance stuff which at first I thought you implied regarding Faythe, lol.
Not everything is about sex appeal. I was talking about mechanics. Faythe is pretty good. The short time I spent playing Baldur's Gate 3, I didn't like Shadow Heart much from a mechanical point.

Elex

Arbiter
I was trying the new Wrath of the Righteous beta, when at some point the game tutorial gave me a pop-up teaching that I could drag a rectangle to select multiple units.

I had to pause and tear up a bit thinking of BG3 and its toilet chain.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Keybinds? Who wants to fuck around with keys?

Tab is the only key I need.

I got to the point on both LotRO and GuildWars where I knew I should be keybinding but I got so good with the mouse on DiabloII I just said fuck it. Once you've been a RT clicker everything else comes naturally.

jackofshadows

Magister
No, you goddamn retarded, it's not about clicking per se. It's about being able to select and control multiple units at once with a decent degree of precision.
What for? This is TB game. I mean the current system sucks shit but binds for selecting all/someone in particular would be a huge upgrade already and almost enough. Very rarely would be convenient to select just 2-3 chars in a non-combat scenario. Anyways, rusty is right, keybinds are essential even in RPGs, it blows my mind seeing how players not using them.

No, you goddamn retarded, it's not about clicking per se. It's about being able to select and control multiple units at once with a decent degree of precision.
What for? This is TB game. I mean the current system sucks shit but binds for selecting all/someone in particular would be a huge upgrade already and almost enough. Very rarely would be convenient to select just 2-3 chars in a non-combat scenario. Anyways, rusty is right, keybinds are essential even in RPGs, it blows my mind seeing how players not using them.
...Are we really doing all this conversation again? What's next, are you guys going to beg Victor to talk you some more about Liches?

Anyway, because the problem is the control of your party when you are OUT of the turn based combat.
When you have to select or move more than one character at once and/or give commands that affects multiple party members (i.e. stealth on/off, go there, stop, etc).
It also ties with the issue of not having any vaguely decent formation system for quick positioning (DOS 2) and not having any at all (BG3 currently).

It goes without saying that during the actual combat you'll always be controlling only one unit at any given time. That's never been the problem.

EDIT, here, I'm going to copy-paste AGAIN the usual example that summarizes the issue:

Lets' take a scenario as an example:

PLAYER 1 is at the gates of a hostile camp and decides he wants to set up an ambush. As a starting maneuver he decides to put his party in stealth, move each one of his party members in a specific corner of the area, then he opens the dances, wipes the enemies (let's sya the brigands) from the face of the planet and goes back to move his entire party as one.

In a traditional system: He will select the whole party, click/press the "stealth" command, then with literally just two clicks for each, he will select and move every character exactly where he wants it. When the fight will be done, a quick click and drag on the whole party or a press the "select all" shortcut and and he will go on his way.

With the Larian system: Click stealth. Oh right, only the selected character goes in stealth, so repeat the process for each one of the four men (imagine if it was a party of six, sigh). Time to tell each one where to... Wait a second, why is everyone moving every time the selected character does? Oh right, time to UNCHAIN each one of them, either by dragging the portrait or right clicking on it and selecting the equivalent function. Now he can tell each one where to go, have the exact same fight and be on his wa- Wait a second, why is everyone standing aroud like an idiot? Oh right, before that he needs to re-select each one of them individually, relink them to the party (which by the way works only if they are already in the proximity, so maybe he needs to move everyone more closely before) and then finally be able to go on his way again.

And please, don't make the similar word count fool you, what we have on the latter is not "from 30% to 50% longer", the description of these actions may be somewhat comparable in length but this second process takes almost four times the amount of work of the first one in practical terms.

Can you see why this system is garbage no matter from what angle you may look at it?

When you have to select or move more than one character at once and/or give commands that affects multiple party members (i.e. stealth on/off, go there, stop, etc).
hold shift, press keybind to select party member
fucking clickers
Ok, stop kidding now. I assumed you were mostly joking so far, but the doubt is growing: are you ACTUALLY retarded?

The method of selection isn't the problem. The *impossibility* to select multiple units at once (be it the full party or a subselection of it) and issue commands to all of them at the same time is the issue.

The chain system is thought to allow just ONE unit selected at any given time and to make incredibly cumbersome and convoluted to execute any sort of precise maneuver.

fucking clickers
Bro... you have to realize some people don't know as much as you do, and that they have to get there. Like... what's the use in swearing and throwing fits, when you can just relax and let karma do its work?
He's speaking bullshit anyway.
I'm perfectly aware of the selection method he's talking about and it doesn't address ANY of the issues with this system in the slightest. Not even tangentially.

Codex Year of the Donut
fucking clickers
Ok, stop kidding now. I assumed you were mostly joking so far, but the doubt is growing: are you ACTUALLY retarded?

The method of selection isn't the problem. The *impossibility* to select multiple units at once (be it the full party or a subselection of it) and issue commands to all of them at the same time is the issue.

The chain system is thought to allow just ONE unit selected at any given time and to make incredibly cumbersome and convoluted to execute any sort of precise maneuver.
clicker cope

clicker cope
Aside for the fact that you are genuinely starting to sound like a mongoloid who couldn't grasp the point if his life depended on it, let me stress you that you need to pass a certain threshold of autism to even begin to think that "clicker" is an insult that genuinely touches people's feelings.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom