Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Doom and the Golden Age of FPS

seco

Educated
The Golden Age of FPS began with the release of the Doom shareware on December 10,1993. It died on November 19, 1998 with the release of Half-Life.

It was an age marked by countless great shooters, all with maximum amounts of SOUL, all inspired by Doom. But then came Half-Life, an outright joke compared to games like Doom or Rise of the Triad, and it all disappeared. Why did this happen?

DemonKing

Arcane
I don't disagree that Half Life was the beginning of the end in many respects for the FPS genre but that didn't stop me enjoying it more than DOOM on release.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The funniest part about the Doom-induced golden age is that it only started being good several years after Doom's release.

Remember what they used to call "Doom clones"? 99% of them were actually Wolfenstein 3D clones, with flat single-plane levels where all walls had 90 degree angles. None of them had an engine as advanced as Doom's, with different height levels and even running across gaps and stuff. Most Doom clones were already obsolete the moment they released, because Doom was better than they were... and modders were already creating fan maps back in the day, which were better than those so-called "Doom clones" by default.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The Golden Age of FPS began with the release of the Doom shareware on December 10,1993. It died on November 19, 1998 with the release of Half-Life.

It was an age marked by countless great shooters, all with maximum amounts of SOUL, all inspired by Doom. But then came Half-Life, an outright joke compared to games like Doom or Rise of the Triad, and it all disappeared. Why did this happen?

There's already an ongoing thread about all this .

seco

Educated
It ruined fps forever. Even mods like CS were a bad influence.
Goodbye fun arena shooter gameplay.
Linear scripted gameplay with no choices has no place in gaming.
Immersive sims and old school maze fps are better.
Why would any self-respecting fps gamer play this tripe?.
How did this game make it in the Top 100 Non-RPG list?
Doom was truly the pinacle of shooters.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
Although I think old FPS games are superior to newer types and Doom is my all time favorite game, I think another big reason they are so fondly remembered is because they didn't overstay their welcome. They didn't become hegemonic like Call of Duty where every new shooter HAS to be like this and people didn't get the opportunity to get bored of them. They "died" at the right time and came back at the right time too. There was no reason why Syndicate had to be a cinematic Call of Duty clone. There is also no reason why Doom 4 Version 1 had to be like Call of Duty. The developers ignored all that made the games great and instead amateurishly grafted COD-style gameplay just because it sells a lot. I actually like COD but they are really the kinds of games you play once and then forget about them.

Also I think RPGs face a similar situation because of Skyrim, which I like a lot, even though my all time favorite RPG is Gothic 2 NOTR. I think Skyrim is the COD of RPGs and developers have been turning their RPG series into Skyrim for a long time now, even when it doesn't really make sense. Witcher 3 made it clear to mention it in their marketing that their game is larger than Skyrim but I'm sure if you cut each zone in half, you wouldn't notice, and that developer effort could have gone into making the actual game more interesting, basically like Witcher 1 but with bigger zones. Same with ELEX. All that effort that went into making the world big could have went into making a small but dense map, like Gothic 2 had. In short, I don't want Gothic to be like Skyrim and I don't Skyrim to be like Gothic. I like the scale and Lord of the Rings feel of Skyrim and Oblivion but I also really enjoy the small but dense worlds of Gothic 1 and 2. On the plus side, I respect Bethesda for not shitting a new TES game every one or two years. They're really taking their time with it.

So I don't think the games are the problem but them being hegemonic and how other developers and publishers react to them.

I think developers could learn a thing or two about when to put an idea down, do something new and bring the old idea back decades later.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
Although I think old FPS games are superior to newer types and Doom is my all time favorite game, I think another big reason they are so fondly remembered is because they didn't overstay their welcome. They didn't become hegemonic like Call of Duty where every new shooter HAS to be like this and people didn't get the opportunity to get bored of them. They "died" at the right time and came back at the right time too. There was no reason why Syndicate had to be a cinematic Call of Duty clone. There is also no reason why Doom 4 Version 1 had to be like Call of Duty. The developers ignored all that made the games great and instead amateurishly grafted COD-style gameplay just because it sells a lot. I actually like COD but they are really the kinds of games you play once and then forget about them.

Also I think RPGs face a similar situation because of Skyrim which I like a lot, even though my all time favorite RPG is Gothic 2 NOTR. I think Skyrim is the COD of RPGs and developers have been turning their RPG series into Skyrim for a long time now, even when it doesn't really make sense. Witcher 3 made it clear to mention it in their marketing that their game is larger than Skyrim but I'm sure if you cut each zone in half, you wouldn't notice, and that developer effort could have gone into making the actual game more interesting, basically like Witcher 1 but with bigger zones. Same with ELEX. All that effort that went into making the world big could have went into making a small but dense map, like Gothic 2 had. In short, I don't want Gothic to be like Skyrim and I don't Skyrim to be like Gothic. I like the scale and Lord of the Rings feel of Skyrim and Oblivion but I also really enjoy the small but dense worlds of Gothic 1 and 2. On the plus side, I respect Bethesda for not shitting a new TES game every one or two years. They're really taking their time with it.

So I don't think the games are the problem but them being hegemonic and how other developers and publishers react to them.

I think developers could learn a thing or two about when to put an idea down, do something new and bring the old idea back decades later.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here

Also I think RPGs face a similar situation because of Skyrim, which I like a lot, even though my all time favorite RPG is Gothic 2 NOTR. I think Skyrim is the COD of RPGs and developers have been turning their RPG series into Skyrim for a long time now, even when it doesn't really make sense. Witcher 3 made it clear to mention it in their marketing that their game is larger than Skyrim but I'm sure if you cut each zone in half, you wouldn't notice, and that developer effort could have gone into making the actual game more interesting, basically like Witcher 1 but with bigger zones. Same with ELEX. All that effort that went into making the world big could have went into making a small but dense map, like Gothic 2 had. In short, I don't want Gothic to be like Skyrim and I don't Skyrim to be like Gothic. I like the scale and Lord of the Rings feel of Skyrim and Oblivion but I also really enjoy the small but dense worlds of Gothic 1 and 2. On the plus side, I respect Bethesda for not shitting a new TES game every one or two years. They're really taking their time with it.

Beans00

Augur

Maybe some people like linear fps. Not everyone likes running through identical brown rooms looking for levers like in quake.

janior

Arcane
Patron
I would rather say that mayybe F.E.A.R. was the last great shooter since there were still plenty of good ones after half-life.
F.E.A.R is good but has some modern trappings. What else is good post HL?
w0Y7wZ8.jpg

czeXXqb.jpg

vr6eXi4.jpg

qpC3oJd.jpg

VyO2H2w.png

e1PSvop.jpg

to name a few

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Q3 and UT are multiplayer only. They're very good in that category, the best, as far as I'm concerned, but it's apples to oranges. Likewise for STALKER.

SoF is good, I like it. But its level design is lacking compared to pre HL games, not that it takes after HL. I always thought it took after Golden Eye. Anyway levels are less like dungeon-arenas and more railed. This isn't a bad thing per se but IMO doesn't suit FPSes.

AVP and AVP2 I haven't played since close to release lol so I don't remember them well and can't say anything.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
fag shut up

Why do people like brainless shit like Doom? You just run around mindlessly for hours and shoot random shit.

If you want to see what a great FPS looks like, take a look at this:
Operation_Flashpoint_cover.jpg

Or maybe this:
JediKnight-cover.jpg

fork

In case you haven't noticed: a majority of people were gay retards back then, and their percantage has been growing ever since, and it will probably continue to do so for decades.

Now, what was the question again?

Generic-Giant-Spider

Easier to make linear shit that follows a similar theme that has proven to sell vs. having to design levels creatively and try to make something that looks and feels fresh that might not sell.

fork

Easier to make linear shit that follows a similar theme that has proven to sell vs. having to design levels creatively and try to make something that looks and feels fresh that might not sell.

I actually disagree, even if that seems to be the most likely explanation at first glance.

I think that the changing demographics of people who now "consume" games are responsible, rather than the ease of producing the respective content: What used to be pupils, students, nerds and neets, are now girls, cucks, faggots, niggers and retards. The gaming industry went from prestigious niche to imbecile mainstream, Hollywood customers. I'd even say old-school game design, especially in FPSs, would be cheaper to produce than the cinematic, linear retard-traps of today, by a mile.

It's the unwashed masses, who are as dumb as, or even dumber than, animals, who are resposible for the the decline of everything, including FPSs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom