Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
This was my second replay i think since release.

Final Score: 4/10

Either it a
facepalm.png
or you changed opinion drastically. Or are one of those "played 2000 hours, game sucks" people.

who doesn't like d&d at all
One should answer a question, why you even bothered to play the first time. This game IS d&d combat.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I would agree that it's worse than Arcanum. And I would agree that the encounter design isn't always great. I don't see how anyone could disagree with these two points

Beans00

Augur
Overall I did enjoy TOEE, I played it probably around 05-06? Not a game I've ever had the inclination to replay however.
The game has plenty of good features but parts of it are a slog for sure.

Generally if I really hate a game I drop it. I'm not one of those people who will burn my time on games I'm not enjoying. That said I finished TOEE so I did like it, but similarly to the BG games I don't feel they're worthy of another play through.

Melcar

Arcane
It's a game you play for the combat and character options. If you don't like D&D then don't touch it. If you don't like autistic level combat and character sheets then don't play it.

Shin

Cipher
Was this (or previous) playthrough with mods or without?

Can't handle the bacon

I would have given this game 2/10 if I was feeling extremely generous.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I guess it's completely inconceivable that the duchy of Verbobonc was experiencing an explosion in its bugbear population who, as inherently evil humanoids, naturally found themselves attracted to both the moathouse and the Temple itself.

My God, there's NO WAY that creatures like orcs and goblins and bugbears breed like rats in an attempt to survive and thwart their human civilization enemies with raw numbers.

NO WAY.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The bugbears are just in the temple itself. The blame is solely on Frank Menzter; Gygax only did Hommlet and the moathouse.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I agree op, although I still think it's probably the best RPG ever :P I hate towns in every game, and stories, dialogue, characters, shopping, crafting, questing, etc. If it isn't a battle then it's in my way. So for that reason TOEE gets bonus points because once you get past the shitty hommlet it is mostly just fighting. And the combat and character building is really good. There are way too many trash fights but the epic battles at the end make it worthwhile. Also you gotta use CheatEngine and Speedhack for gaming, I use it in 99% of games, I wouldn't even be a gamer anymore if it wasn't for that. You can run through the whole hommlet in 2 seconds etc.

Try Blackguards if you haven't already.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
The bugbears are just in the temple itself. The blame is solely on Frank Menzter; Gygax only did Hommlet and the moathouse.

You sure about that? I was told Gygax wrote the original module. Hmm.

Anyway, I adore this module, whether it's the Troika version or otherwise. Just love it. It's a tried and true classic that never gets old delving into. For me, anyway. Hope you guys enjoy it as much or even more! :)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You sure about that? I was told Gygax wrote the original module. Hmm.

Gygax wrote The Village of Hommlet. The Temple of Elemental Evil expanded on it, but all the new material was written by Mentzer.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Roguey, the wiki states that Mentzer assisted with the writing only.

The module was published by TSR, Inc. in 1985 for the first edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons rules. It was written by Gary Gygax and Frank Mentzer, and is an expansion of an earlier Gygax module, The Village of Hommlet (TSR, 1979).

T1-4 The Temple of Elemental Evil was written by Gary Gygax with Frank Mentzer, and published by TSR in 1985, incorporating T1 The Village of Hommlet.

Do you have some source for what you're claiming?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Do you have some source for what you're claiming?

I wouldn't blindly trust wikipedia, but I did misremember a bit

https://www.enworld.org/threads/q-a-with-gary-gygax.22566/page-72#post-987398

Lolth was supposed to be in there, and in the depths the prison of the Elder Elemental God. I had my hands full with the management of the D&D Entertainment Corp. out on the West Coast, so I couldn’t get to the completion of the ToEE. That’s when Frank Mentzer took a hand and filled in the lower levels that I hadn’t detailed. That’s why they ended where they did instead of proceeding downwards more to where the EEG’s area was going to be.

Guess Gary was responsible for the bugbears after all, since there aren't too many on levels 3 and 4 and the elemental nodes (which Troika entirely redesigned out of necessity anyway).

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
"I played it for more than 300 hours, and it sucks!" "I played through the same megadungeon three times, and it sucks!" The classic Codexian sentiment! :happytrollboy::martini::brodex:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Will always give ToEE props for not going for a generic strings-based fantasy RPG soundtrack. That harp in Hommlet, the drum and bass in the combat tracks.

curds

Magister
I had in mind the weird, mournful synth music of the moathouse, but the Hommlet song is nice, too.

ToEE has an almost industrial feel to its music sometimes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom