Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Steam Deck ~ PC Switch

Will you buy one?

• Yes, take my jew scheckles!

Votes: 62 36.3%
  • No, this is consolitis creeping into a PC.

Votes: 63 36.8%
  • Kingcomrade

Votes: 46 26.9%

• Total voters

dacencora

I don't think this is going to result in a huge increase of native titles. There's no incentive. If developers release a native Linux port, they need to support it.

Linux support, contrary to popular belief, is not that hard or costly. Most game engines natively support Linux anyway, they just don't release Linux ports because they like licking Microsoft's butthole. Take for example Amplitude with their Endless series, it is unity, unity supports Linux ports, so all they have to do is press a button to make a Linux port. Their publisher, SEGA, is also extremely linux friendly. Is there a reason their 4X games do not support Linux? No. They are just retarded.

If the SteamOS installed base increases though, you might see developers finally ceasing to be cunts and make linux ports too.
Lmao. Our resident PhD in Computer Science, ladies and gentlemen.

“You just have to press a button!”

dacencora

Lmao. Our resident PhD in Computer Science, ladies and gentlemen.

“You just have to press a button!”

Figuratively speaking, idiot. Do you want me to detail the procedure here in a few pages? I know you feel butthurt i am more educated than you, i can't help you though. You are just doomed to feel inferior to me.
Lmao. Whatever you need to tell yourself buddy.

Screw it, I caved and reserved a 512GB model.

The thing that attracts me most to the Steam Deck is the fact that it is a really neat little PC with an x86 SoC. You can do so much more with it than just play games.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
halflife_seyh5gse56uhy.png

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
>Reading IN PUBLIC
>Discussing philosophy, in public, WITH WOMEN

What pretentious fucking faggot made that shit image?
Acceptable public behaviour for a man is catcalling broads, drinking beer and discussing last night's game

SoupNazi

I like the idea of taking this with me on trips. Plane or train rides when things open up, or at hotels that have shitty bars that close early.

This year I've already been to a hotel that would let you put in the reservation that you want a Samsung DeX-enabled setup in the room, which is super useful but obviously no serious gaming can be done, I just used it once to circumavigate the company VPN on my laptop and ended up just watching YouTube and browse the Codex. If I can have that and kill some otherwise often very boring nights at a hotel, that'll be cool. Usually during those times I'm way too mentally spent to read a book anyway, so some primitive consumerism is a much easier time to unwind.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
That's what an emulator does, retard.

You fucking imbecile barbarian, you should be careful when you address your Byzantine masters. Go back to your goats.

An emulator essentially creates a virtual machine/processor that takes cpu INSTRUCTIONS (and not just calls) in real time and translates them for another architecture. For example, imbecile, a Switch emulator captures ARM architecture instructions, translates them to x86 cpu instructions, then executes them. After their execution, it also needs to translate their API into a PC architecture API, for example Switch graphics API to Direct3D, OpenGL, Vulkan etc, sound to sound, etc etc.

WINE, which is short for Wine Is Not an Emulator, just replaces the windows libraries with opensource libraries that can run on Linux. There is no translation involved, it is like for example browsing the net with a different browser. Instead of sending the website to Chrome, you send it to Firefox.

SoupNazi

Samsung DeX which is super useful but obviously no serious gaming can be done
A phone powerful/recent enough to support DeX is probably able to run PPSSPP without trouble. PSP games look very good in HD and cover the whole range from "retro" to "modern". Unlike the DS touchscreen the PSP had no gimmick of any kind so it's just a parallel watered down PS2/PS3 generation full of spin-offs, ports and indies.

The downside is that there's not a lot that will feel monocled to a PC user.
Yeah, other than the two GTA games that are I think exclusive to it, I don't remember a single thing interesting me on PSP...

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
I think it's pretty cool that you can install whatever you want on it. As far as I can tell, even beyond the Switch comparisons, nothing like this device exists; at least not with a reasonably capable APU like this one has.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I think it's pretty cool that you can install whatever you want on it. As far as I can tell, even beyond the Switch comparisons, nothing like this device exists; at least not with a reasonably capable APU like this one has.

Accurate, the only devices like this that exist are significantly weaker while being two to three times more expensive.

I was considering getting a laptop for gaming outside of home, but Valve resolved my dillema - Steam Deck is much more convenient for my use.

ferratilis

Magister
For those who wondered about the meaning of that Jurassic Park reference:

https://www.gamesradar.com/steam-deck-website-easter-egg-pokes-fun-at-the-steampal-leak/
Steam Deck website Easter egg pokes fun at the "SteamPal" leak

By Connor Sheridan 1 day ago

Also a surprising amount of Jurassic Park

WYixckLt3oGieTsMZsFi5h-320-80.jpg

(Image credit: Valve)

The Steam Deck website has an Easter egg that proves Valve isn't afraid of making a few jokes at its own expense, even when it comes to leaks.

If you head to the official site's software page, then scroll down to the section with the heading "A new Steam operating system," you'll see it ends with a linked passage saying "Hold on to your butts!" Click the text, which is a reference to Samuel L. Jackson's famous line in Jurassic Park, and a new subsection will roll out with another Jurassic Park reference to go more in-depth on how Steam Deck uses a Linux operating system. OK, so it was a UNIX system in the movie, but close enough.

The fold-out Linux section is illustrated with an image of two people looking at an old CRT computer monitor with a very familiar, very Hollywood-looking computer interface. It's another Jurassic Park reference, but we need to go deeper. On the side of the screen is a picture of the G-Man from Half-Life looking smug and smoking a pipe, and there are some sticky notes above and below his picture.

The top sticky note demonstrates where the Steam Deck logo - a semicircle surrounding a smaller circle - comes from: it's just the Steam logo with the left bit chopped off. I feel silly for not realizing that already, but moving on. The second note has the words "Steam Pal" crossed out and "Steam Deck" circled, and the third has "Todo: Delete 6.js" written on it. Those are both references as well, but not to Jurassic Park: the first solid indications of Steam working on a handheld device arrived via datamine back in May, when data trawlers noticed references to something called "SteamPal" in a Steam UI file named 6.js.

Major props to Valve for staging a whole photo shoot just to make fun of itself for leaving some data out where it shouldn't have. You still have time to get your Steam Deck pre-order in, though the servers have been struggling ever since they opened earlier today.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If I traveled a lot I might buy one, but since I don't I'd rather put the money towards a new GPU whenever the availability improves. Also Digital Foundry mentioned a concern that I had myself - that this thing won't be powerful enough for next-gen games and you'll mainly be stuck playing your current library or emulators. An example they gave was Metro Exodus, whose dynamic resolution can already drop to 720p on the Series S which has a GPU 2.5x more powerful than the Steam Deck.

Metro Exodus will run shit on computers that haven't even been imagined yet. And it's not like it's graphically amazing or this generation's Crysis or anything. It's just TERRIBLY coded.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Anyway bros the poll is meaningless. It's not like any of you are ever going to own one of these things. You thought the PS5 shortage was bad? This will be on a whole other level. Sony is an old player in the console game, they are used to selling bajillions of units and they can't keep up. Gaben sells shovelware indie games and made a controller once that like 4 people bought. This thing will never be in stock anywhere.

And retards on the codex will blame MUH MINERZ. You heard it here folks.

Codex Year of the Donut
And retards on the codex will blame MUH MINERZ
Imagine thinking the GPU shortage isn't due to miners when you can print money even when buying a GPU at 300% of MSRP.
No, there's just a magical massive increase in demand that came from nowhere. Just a massive surge in people entering PC gaming, of course. Nvidia seeing record, continual quarterly growth is a lie pushed by the people who want to blame the blameless miners that buy every GPU as soon as it's available.
https://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/nvidia-announces-financial-results-for-first-quarter-fiscal-2022
NVIDIA (NASDAQ: NVDA) today reported record revenue for the first quarter ended May 2, 2021, of $5.66 billion, up 84 percent from a year earlier
:lol:

Azdul

Magister
But other services that run parallel to games, like anti-cheat systems, or various server hosting tools, might get Linux versions. Emulating these doesn't seem to work too well.
Most anti-cheat systems won't get Linux versions - for the same reason why you cannot emulate them. They're doing stuff that user application should never do.

It's like supporting Denuvo on Linux - it will not happen, and it is probably for the better.

Codex Year of the Donut
But other services that run parallel to games, like anti-cheat systems, or various server hosting tools, might get Linux versions. Emulating these doesn't seem to work too well.
Most anti-cheat systems won't get Linux versions - for the same reason why you cannot emulate them. They're doing stuff that user application should never do.

It's like supporting Denuvo on Linux - it will not happen, and it is probably for the better.
denuvo games work fine on linux though

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom