Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout: New Vegas 10 Year Anniversary

Alphons

Cipher
Just a heads up for anyone wondering about playing New California

Your character is a clone of Vault Dweller, made by Supermutants with his DNA, FEV and another supersoldier serum codenamed Project Brazil.

There's also a meta narrative about your character using GAME SAVES to avoid death.

And then right at the end it also turns out that you're the NV Courier.
And you also survived Benny's ambush and the Divide explosions (oh yeah, you were present right in the middle, your flesh was literally torn off) (oh and btw, you also found the detonator for the Divide in the NC's final location) with your super duper special ability

Is this shit real?

Some stuff is in the endings, but I'm not digging for the rest, have a watch if you dare.

Edit: Also as bad New California is, Frontier is way, way worse.

We're talking a single monologue longer than the entire Fallout 4 intro (from pressing New Game to leaving the Vault after tutorial) level of bad.

Last edited:

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Hi, I know there are several overhauls making FNV into a totally new game with new quests and environments etc. same as for example Enderal did with Skyrim. But all those mods I found are in the making. I think there was one that's already finished. Could you please tell me its name. I can't seem to find it.
You're probably looking for New California. I haven't heard good things about it, but I also haven't heard about it being a total disaster like The Frontier.
I don't think either of them are particularly good from what I've seen, though. You're better off playing something like Atom RPG or Underrail if you're looking for a post-apoc RPG.
Thanks for the advices. Damn, I've heard that NC is cool? I must read some more about it before I spend three days modding FNV in vain again :roll:

Anyway, Atom's almost finished - great game! But I've never grown fond of Underrail much. Although the atmosphere and the idea is cool, the gameplay seemed too wonky and cumbersome to me :(
Have you played ELEX? It's something much closer to FNV than earlier Fallouts in terms of gameplay, and is post-apoc.
Yep, Elex too. That was pretty awsome. I don't think I've missed any AAA and AA RPGs and FPS/RPG's there are in totall. Having 1000+ games on Steam, waiting for the miracle of Pathfinder: WoTR to happen and to uplift me for another few months :D

Thank's for the notice on the California - there are actually well structured negative and positive reviews saying something totally on the contrary about the same things. I guess, I'll have another (sad) cofee and get back to replaying Borderlands :lol:

Might as well play Fallout 4 or 76 if you have the urge to play Borderlands.
Don't worry, I wouldn't dare to compare Borderlands to any Fallout game. ANY Fallout game, mwahahaha.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The first thing in my mind with the announcement of Steam Deck is “Portable New Vegas”
:takemymoney:

purupuru

Learned
But can it handle mods?
I don't see why not. It's a full-fledged pc that's likely more powerful than what many players owned 5-6 years ago. And as far as I know NVSE works under linux (though not out of the box, but then again if you are modding you are already getting your hands dirty).

TheSoul

Scholar
Mods like New California only make New Vegas worse, since the writing/worldbuidling is what makes the experience so amazing. These people want the game to play like stupid action movies and NV being associated with this just hurts the brand.
:popamole:

Don Peste

Arcane
After all these years, I finally decided to play this (VNV). I entered the Lucky 38 today. This gonna be gud...
2gjHaUr.jpg

BTW Cass is totally Avellone. Like she IS himself :lol:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
BTW Cass is totally Avellone. Like she IS himself :lol:
https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Rose_of_Sharon_Cassidy
  • Cass will, with a shocked expression, defend herself, nervously saying that she meant no offense and that when she has had enough to drink, she does not care who she ends up in bed with.
  • Already having the max amount of companions and asking Cass to join may make her respond with not being "in the mood for a threesome. {Beat, under her breath} Today."
Checks out. :M

Yosharian

Arcane
God damnit. I did The House Always Wins V because I wanted Arcade's Power Armour before I went to do Old World Blues, but I hadn't done any NCR quests yet, so my rep with them was Neutral. So I never got The House Always Wins VI where you defend Kimball, because if you're not at least Accepted then the game just skips over it and Kimball automatically gets killed by the Legion.

FFS

New Vegas' tragic legacy is that it should have been a turning point. The point by which the (few) remaining AAA studios stopped making semi-interactive action-adventure movies playing themselves or open world theme parks you couldn't get lost in even if you desperately tried.

Man, I'd love there to be more bigg/er budget games like this. However, it was not to be.

It's incredible that the Witcher series gets so much praise for its quest design (when it isn't the actual quest design that's praised, rather its inevitably all-cinematic presentation), whereas New Vegas tends to be mostly forgotten too. Mostly.

Beowulf

Arcane
:necro:
Ok, I so I hae never played any gaybro enging fallouts.
I'd like to play some first person RPG and I came to terms that it might be the time to delve into 3d fallouts.
So - are there any must have/recommended mods for a first playthrough?
Graphical improvements included, I don't mind bare feet and hi res tits that come along with a decent game.

Yosharian

Arcane
:necro:
Ok, I so I hae never played any gaybro enging fallouts.
I'd like to play some first person RPG and I came to terms that it might be the time to delve into 3d fallouts.
So - are there any must have/recommended mods for a first playthrough?
Graphical improvements included, I don't mind bare feet and hi res tits that come along with a decent game.
Just play VNV

Alphons

Cipher
I'm starting a playthrough this week, so some tips.

Follow Viva New Vegas guide
https://vivanewvegas.github.io/

I've skipped some mods like the raider overhaul, but it provides you with a stable game.

I'm a big fan of classic weapons mod- adds weapons from 2D Fallouts (but doesn't replace vanilla ones) to the inventories of NPCs and merchants (plus some unique ones hidden around the Wasteland). Majority of them have weapon mods.
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/73805

Uncut mods from VNV don't cover everything, so I'd also pick up Moburma's mods plus Moon Comes Over the Tower (might require some patches, but they're all provided on mod pages).

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/61121
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/46648
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/74409

FPGE allows you to play after the end credits and see how your actions affected the Wastes (you can still finish the game by leaving by Mojave Outpost gate). It complements nicely Living Desert from VNV and adds a bunch of neat stuff if you have both mods.
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/66726

Yosharian

Arcane
I mean I personally would just install it in 5 mins using Wabbajack but sure, a manual install works fine too I guess

laclongquan

Arcane

Edit: Also as bad New California is, Frontier is way, way worse.

We're talking a single monologue longer than the entire Fallout 4 intro (from pressing New Game to leaving the Vault after tutorial) level of bad.

IT depend on how you look at things.

Fallout New California is something return to Fallout 2's feel. You know how you think about Temple of Trial is way long? Well, FNC triple the content of ToT+Arroyo into Vault 18. You have to play the main quest to the point where you can get out of V18, no skipping. So it's something of a misstep with FNV gamers where they keep expecting skip out of tuto area and jump onto the wild open world... and have to play to play V18 for 5 hours. So it's something outside of expectation for FNV players.

As a prologue to FNV, and a way of developing a past for Courier Six, FNC is certainly not bad. Lots of choice and consequence, lots of potential for roleplay.

Alphons

Cipher
What are you even talking about?

If you go to Nexus forums then tutorial and Vault 18 are considered the best part of NC, because they have the most of actual side content.

Companions stop interacting right after you escape, there're like 4 side quests outside of the Vault (2 quests in ghoul town and either 2 quests for NCR or raiders depending on your faction).
Exploration is pointless because outside of 3 small settlements there's nothing.
Literally slapping a location marker on a road sign or empty bridge level of nothing.

There's some branching during the main quest, but it feels a bit pointless when you always end up as Courier 6 and blow up Divide.

Doesn't matter whether you're working for NCR, either of the raider factions, Bishops or even the Enclave.

deuxhero

Arcane
Is there a mod for New Vegas that lets the Service Rifle, Assault Carbine, and Marksman Carbine be used to repair the others? It always bugged me this wasn't the case since they'd share most of the same parts (potentially everything except the barrel).

FFTW

Educated
Best 3D Fallout game ever. Truly fantastic. And considering that Bethesda and Obsidian are under the same Microsoft now there is a real chance for a 2nd Obsidian Fallout game in the future :).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom