Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Hyperborea 3e now live!

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!

Just a summary for those unfamiliar:
- OSR, built off the 1e rules if I'm not mistaken, but comes with rules for activities like mass combat
- Tons of modules
- Thematically it feels very much like Conan, maybe even more so than the hot garbage from Modiphius, but with some sci-fi thrown in

So far it hasn't had anything political surrounding it, and the art's pretty sweet. I've backed 1e and 2e, but never had a chance to run it at the table. On the print products, the quality is really good. Gold foil, thick ass books with solid spines, and lots of Howardian/Lovecraftian modules for referencing. Would love to hear from anyone who's had the chance to play/run this!

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
I still have my 1e boxed set and its one of most cherished sets of physical RPG books on my shelves. The rules are 0e D&D with sort of 1e-style classes, and a nice little D12 skill system thrown in, but it's the really evocative setting (equal parts HPL, Howard, and Clark Ashton Smith) that make it stand out.

I'm glad to see it doing so well and it definitely needs a reprint, but I'm sort of non-plussed with the switch from Ian Baggley's charcoal, B&W to the more comic book style of Val Semeiks that started with 2e. I'm in for the PDF just to see what Jeff Talanian has done to flesh out the setting.

SoupNazi

I still have my 1e boxed set and its one of most cherished sets of physical RPG books on my shelves. The rules are 0e D&D with sort of 1e-style classes, and a nice little D12 skill system thrown in, but it's the really evocative setting (equal parts HPL, Howard, and Clark Ashton Smith) that make it stand out.

I'm glad to see it doing so well and it definitely needs a reprint, but I'm sort of non-plussed with the switch from Ian Baggley's charcoal, B&W to the more comic book style of Val Semeiks that started with 2e. I'm in for the PDF just to see what Jeff Talanian has done to flesh out the setting.
Maybe you should hold off any purchases for a while? Consult the ol' ball and chain first? :lol:

nikolokolus

Arcane

Maybe you should hold off any purchases for a while? Consult the ol' ball and chain first? :lol:
She buys shoes, I buy books. Balance in the universe restored.

Andhaira

Arcane
I think its too soon for them to do 3rd edition, the 2e version only came out a few years back. At the very least they should change the spells to be more S&S, right now its a similar OSR spell list.

But still, its a good system with tons of flavor.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Watched some videos about it and seems amazing.

• No manlet races, only Celts, Amazons, Vikings and other humans AND chad Hyperboreans(natives)
  • Much more depth for martial combat, with more realistic rules for if you have a knife and the enemy a spear.
  • More "specialized" casters. Pyromancers, Necromancers, Cryomancers
  • Amazing artstyle which reminds me of Conan
Anyone played it from here(Codex)?

I wanna play it as a cryomancer. The cryomancer spell list

sPXT0bJ.png

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
> but never had a chance to run it at the table.

Guys, anyone here interested in playing Hyperborea? I believe that we can organize a table here in Codex. I am not a good DM but if nobody wanna to DM, I can DM for you guys to play it. Anyone interested???

SoupNazi

> but never had a chance to run it at the table.

Guys, anyone here interested in playing Hyperborea? I believe that we can organize a table here in Codex. I am not a good DM but if nobody wanna to DM, I can DM for you guys to play it. Anyone interested???
There's nothing I'd love more than to be in a game with you.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I don't own international credit card, how I get the PDF? Tried to learn how to play on YT but the combat seems a bit different. Anyway, if I get the PDF, can you guys send your character sheets till Friday, so I can prepare the game to sunday?

SoupNazi

I don't own international credit card, how I get the PDF? Tried to learn how to play on YT but the combat seems a bit different. Anyway, if I get the PDF, can you guys send your character sheets till Friday, so I can prepare the game to sunday?
I assume you're looking at 2e since the kickstarter says delivery Dec 2021?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Yep; 1e or 2e. People here is interested in playing. If I get the PDF, I will just ask for you guys to send me character sheets. I honestly rather play than DM, but seems like nobody wanna to DM it.

SoupNazi

Yep; 1e or 2e. People here is interested in playing. If I get the PDF, I will just ask for you guys to send me character sheets. I honestly rather play than DM, but seems like nobody wanna to DM it.
In the interest of getting this going, especially since you've volunteered to DM, I'll buy it and PM you the PDFs as a gift

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Already received one character sheet today. A Chaotic good viking. If I get another character sheet till Friday, we can play this Saturday. At 17h -5 GMT is a good time? Don't expect me to be a good DM. Is my first time DMing AS&SH 2nd edition and my second time DMing a online game. My old 3rd edition group was in table. With my last group, I used rolld20 for maps and discord voice chat for communication. Is everyone fine with it?

SoupNazi

Already received one character sheet today. A Chaotic good viking. If I get another character sheet till Friday, we can play this Saturday. At 17h -5 GMT is a good time? Don't expect me to be a good DM. Is my first time DMing AS&SH 2nd edition and my second time DMing a online game. My old 3rd edition group was in table. With my last group, I used rolld20 for maps and discord voice chat for communication. Is everyone fine with it?
That's around 2AM for me, so that's not gonna be possible, sadly. I could do anything from 7-12 GMT-5 though, at least this Saturday for sure.

SoupNazi

That's around 2AM for me, so that's not gonna be possible, sadly. I could do anything from 7-12 GMT-5 though, at least this Saturday for sure.

Yep. Better to change the time. Sadly I only got your character sheet till now...
Might want to post a separate thread here in the Gazebo, like the other groups have done in the past, talk a bit about what you wanna do and how you wanna run it, if it's a oneshot, on discord or whatever, etc. Might get a few more replies with that.

udm

Arcane
Patron
I am keen, but I live in South East Asia so my timezone is definitely going to be at least 6 hours off from wherever you guys are. :(

dubLEs

Novice

Just a summary for those unfamiliar:
- OSR, built off the 1e rules if I'm not mistaken, but comes with rules for activities like mass combat
- Tons of modules
- Thematically it feels very much like Conan, maybe even more so than the hot garbage from Modiphius, but with some sci-fi thrown in

So far it hasn't had anything political surrounding it, and the art's pretty sweet. I've backed 1e and 2e, but never had a chance to run it at the table. On the print products, the quality is really good. Gold foil, thick ass books with solid spines, and lots of Howardian/Lovecraftian modules for referencing. Would love to hear from anyone who's had the chance to play/run this!

Without opening a can of worms, why do you hate Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of? Or do you hate 2d20 in general? In my experience, the game is made good by a GM who knows how to use Doom to really enhance the pacing of the session.
first ever post on codex and it's not even about a crpg

udm

Arcane
Patron
I don't hate the system. I thought it was OK. But I didn't like how they started to insert political correctness into Hyboria. That's a bad sign because REH's Hyboria is as politically incorrect as can be. And this is coming from an Asian.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I don't hate the system. I thought it was OK. But I didn't like how they started to insert political correctness into Hyboria. That's a bad sign because REH's Hyboria is as politically incorrect as can be. And this is coming from an Asian.

How does they have political correctness?

Because in a brutal world where people are worrying about daemons, aliens, abominations, nobody would have time to waste in woke BS. This is a first world high tech world problem. Not a problem which can exist in any greedy setting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom