Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Will always give ToEE props for not going for a generic strings-based fantasy RPG soundtrack. That harp in Hommlet, the drum and bass in the combat tracks.
The music is really enjoyable, puts me in a far off nostalgia. The composer was Dick Dale's drummer lol

Spukrian

Savant
I should replay ToEE. First and only time I played it, I had some weird bug that made my summoned demons become permanent party members. The final fight was trivial because of this. Though I admit it was quite humorous to see demons walking around in Nulb...

Last edited:

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
The only thing I can remember about toee was that strange noise that played on the scrolling title screen. Seriously wtf is that sound. Sounds like a drunk retarded digging through my recycle bin at 3 in the morning. Anyone know what the deal is?

That noise is stuck in my head.. today I still hear it.... Sometimes even in my dreams... It disturbs me greatly.

I would agree that it's worse than Arcanum. And I would agree that the encounter design isn't always great. I don't see how anyone could disagree with these two points

What's strange about the ToEE is that Troika had fully completed and animated monsters like hydra, lamia or owlbear and they used those only once in the entire game. Changing a single bugbear encounter into 4 lamias, other into a few owlbears ...etc , wouldn't take much effort and would improve encounter design.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
What's strange about the ToEE is that Troika had fully completed and animated monsters like hydra, lamia or owlbear and they used those only once in the entire game. Changing a single bugbear encounter into 4 lamias, other into a few owlbears ...etc , wouldn't take much effort and would improve encounter design.

Maybe they planned to release a toolset for modders or make some sequels.

But yes, it's a wasted opportunity for the hydra, the lamia, the minotaur...
Even Iuz is a wasted opportunity, after getting your ass kicked, you only want to fight him again (except in Co8...), well, you can always replay and make a specific build to kill him.

At least, i found the Minotaur, the Lamia and even the Hydra/Owlbear encounters (the harpies too) quite atmospheric, unlike the random hydra encounters in PFK or the ones you encounter in a shitty generic swamp map.

Still, KotC 2 gets the best Hydra encounter.

Having it summoned by the lizard king was just brilliant and it's also lethal, at least, the first time you encounter it and charge it mindlessly...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Because in the original module there is only one of each of those creatures in the temple. Cain said he regretted trying to remain so faithful to it. There's also dungeon ecology to think of (would it make sense for a bunch of those creatures to just be around?)

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I am glad they stuck to the original and didn't start changing things. Bugbear slaughter is fun, plus they serve as another enemy to chip away at your resources that plays into the resource management aspect of an expedition into the Temple. They will hit u here and there and chip at your HP. Anyway, divine module, I play this module in every game I can (NWN, FRUA, Troika version, etc.). :)

hello friend

Arcane
I just learned a few days ago that an Icewind Dale total conversion in the toee engine is being actively developed! Once it's finished I might finally be able to play that game - after all these years. Can you imagine, if someone ported the Baldur's Gates over? I've made multiple serious attempts to play those games, and the garbage RtwP system just sucks any potential enjoyment out of the experience. I don't even know if there's enjoyment to be had, it's hard to tell when you're cursing every minute. I bailed on my most recent attempt when I realised I'd gone upwards of at least 30 hours of playtime without having a moment of fun, it was all boredom and rage and sheer bullheadedness. Man, all these enhanced editions being tossed around these days, small tweaks here and there, and no one thinks to touch the oil tanker sized massive flaw all the infinity engine games share.

Szenhidrat

Novice
Got this game packed with a magazine quite a few years ago but i have never played it 'cause i read it was unfinished or rushed or something. BUT since i just deleted BG3 EA for the fourth time since it was made availabe today and i still can't get past the first 30 mins becuase i just can't get into the game no matter how hard i wanted to like it i will install this game and prove myself that the problem is not with me and even a 4/10 can bring more fun than BG3. Did this make any sense? Probably not. Anyhoo let's go DVD hunting.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Will always give ToEE props for not going for a generic strings-based fantasy RPG soundtrack. That harp in Hommlet, the drum and bass in the combat tracks.
The music is really enjoyable, puts me in a far off nostalgia. The composer was Dick Dale's drummer lol

If you watch a lot of American documentaries on TV/youtube, TOEE music is used in a shitton of them.

A second one you keep hearing is Motorsport Manager https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCUSD6w-45c https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wSrkvwoiVY

The point is those tracks are simply high quality and you wont get tired of them for a long time. So you can put them over virtually anything (I hate music in documentaties though)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom