Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rome: Total War Remastered

Üstad

Arcane
the AI really needs the economy cheats to stand a chance
Well if only they could make everything including AI enitrely moddable, so that AI could actually manages economy without retarded cheating. Just imagine in higher difficulties AI actually uses its brain, but then CA wouldnt be able to sell their shitty reskinned games as even zoomers wouldnt buy it.

The only reason why MTW2 and RTW standed out despite their age is the mods, devs can suck my sweaty balls they only brought misery to total war series.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
This game just died.

How come? What changed?

I don't think anything specific has changed, it's just the general lack of updates or communication makes this seem pretty dead.

Feral overpromised and underdelivered. They took a whole month to patch a lot of the more serious issues people were having.

The modding changes they promised should have been ready day 1.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I don't think anything specific has changed, it's just the general lack of updates or communication makes this seem pretty dead.

Feral overpromised and underdelivered. They took a whole month to patch a lot of the more serious issues people were having.

I wouldn't doubt that they're struggling to keep up with things, but anyone that played their original Android/iOS port has less cause to be so sceptical and negative imo.

Shrimp

Arbiter

I wouldn't doubt that they're struggling to keep up with things, but anyone that played their original Android/iOS port has less cause to be so sceptical and negative imo.
How so? I imagine most people (including myself) aren't familiar with the mobile ports, so I don't really know what's supposed to be remarkable about those.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Feral may be brilliant at porting things, but they really don't seem to be very good at post release support.

It took weeks of pestering on the discord to get them to admit they were actually working on a patch. They've also been extremely vague about their plans with the modding limits.

I'm guessing most of their work is fire and forget and they aren't used to significant post release support.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
How so? I imagine most people (including myself) aren't familiar with the mobile ports, so I don't really know what's supposed to be remarkable about those.

Simply put, they did a great job of them. They run well, and they added little bits of polish that would mean, assuming touch controls could be as good as a mouse and kb (and tbh they're really not bad at all on a tablet/ipad), it would be a superior version of the game when compared with the original PC release.

I guess that experience and them going above and beyond / and also having very personal engagement when it comes to customers, well... it's a far cry better than what you get from most game studios?

It took weeks of pestering on the discord to get them to admit they were actually working on a patch. They've also been extremely vague about their plans with the modding limits.

I dunno, different companies have different standards of openness when it comes to their internal processes. There's a real problem in games where once you announce something people quickly get impatient / have little appreciation of the amount of work required to pull off popular demands. I'm far from competent with game engines or anything, but I'm aware enough to know that people complain about things with very little notion of what's actually required behind the scenes. There's a common misconception among a certain segment of gamers that if something is a small change in-game, then it must also require only a small amount of work to bring about. And it just isn't like that.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron

Simply put, they did a great job of them. They run well, and they added little bits of polish that would mean, assuming touch controls could be as good as a mouse and kb (and tbh they're really not bad at all on a tablet/ipad), it would be a superior version of the game when compared with the original PC release.

I guess that experience and them going above and beyond / and also having very personal engagement when it comes to customers, well... it's a far cry better than what you get from most game studios?

I dunno, different companies have different standards of openness when it comes to their internal processes. There's a real problem in games where once you announce something people quickly get impatient / have little appreciation of the amount of work required to pull off popular demands. I'm far from competent with game engines or anything, but I'm aware enough to know that people complain about things with very little notion of what's actually required behind the scenes. There's a common misconception among a certain segment of gamers that if something is a small change in-game, then it must also require only a small amount of work to bring about. And it just isn't like that.

There is no excuse for poor communication. It doesn't matter if a patch is going to take a while to make, you should communicate that it's being worked on asap.

Half the community immediately assumed the game was abandoned because of the lack of comms.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
There is no excuse for poor communication. It doesn't matter if a patch is going to take a while to make, you should communicate that it's being worked on asap.

Half the community immediately assumed the game was abandoned because of the lack of comms.

How can you "immediately" assume something is abandoned because of lack of communication. That takes time to even be a thing in the first place.

I get why you want it, it's just a request that isn't necessarily always practical or helpful. Likely as not the main reason for their quiet and the lack of progress is their staff time off for summer. A lot of companies in the UK / Northern Europe take time off around this time of year.

(The problem with making announcements when people are off is that it increases expectations of results regardless of there being no one there to deliver them.)

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron

How can you "immediately" assume something is abandoned because of lack of communication. That takes time to even be a thing in the first place.

I get why you want it, it's just a request that isn't necessarily always practical or helpful. Likely as not the main reason for their quiet and the lack of progress is their staff time off for summer. A lot of companies in the UK / Northern Europe take time off around this time of year.

(The problem with making announcements when people are off is that it increases expectations of results regardless of there being no one there to deliver them.)

All they needed to say is "We're working on a patch". Instead it took near three weeks to get a vague hint from a CA employee that Feral were working on something.

I don't care if Feral are the best devs on the planet, poor communication kills. It's something I hammer into my own devs at work on a regular basis.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Better late than never I suppose. Hopefully there are some modders still around at this point.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Over 200 new events, commands and controls added to the scripting dictionary. Highlights include:
  • Destroying any buildings including Governors’ buildings & walls

One of the big problems with mods like EB was that the AI could never destroy government/religious/cultural buildings in conquered territories. Hopefully this can take care of that.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Pity they didn't collaborate more with the modders when the scene was hot.

"In-house" modders are never going to be quite as passionate or talented.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
So, I'm itching to try a historical and actually great TW game. Has this been fixed/become playable and/or better? Are they planning to support it more? I'm going to wait for a hefty discount, obviously, but I'm making an overview of my options.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Nope, it has been completely abandonded and left in a shitty state. Too bad the original is such a bitch to get running on modern hardware / Win10.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom