Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Started modeling again after having been in coding mode for the past several months. This is my version of a Kuo-toa, or a fat Murloc depending on how you see it. I think Kua-toa is Wizards of the Coast IP, so I will have to think of a different name for them. Any ideas?
M6PcRPj.png
Sebastian Marsh.

Codex Year of the Donut
Started modeling again after having been in coding mode for the past several months. This is my version of a Kuo-toa, or a fat Murloc depending on how you see it. I think Kua-toa is Wizards of the Coast IP, so I will have to think of a different name for them. Any ideas?
M6PcRPj.png
Not exactly the same, but Sahuagin isn't considered product identity by WotC and is a monster in the 5.1 SRD
The 3.5E SRD provided an actual physical description of them, btw, the 5E SRD does not.
https://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/sahuagin.htm

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
M6PcRPj.png
Not exactly the same, but Sahuagin isn't considered product identity by WotC and is a monster in the 5.1 SRD
The 3.5E SRD provided an actual physical description of them, btw, the 5E SRD does not.
https://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/sahuagin.htm
just remembered that pathfinder(as part of their open gaming content) calls them Skum, btw

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
How can i avoid the computer A.I. cheating?
There is no diplomacy in my game yet.
But I suspect the empires of the computer somehow collude against me.
Hmmm..I should program the diplomacy.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I wonder if the author of Steamfolk Tales is still here? What's up with the game, is it dead?

This reminded me of a different game, also developed by a Codexian dev. Dude used to post cool pre-rendered isometric environments with characters and stuff, but then cancelled the Kickstarter campaign and disappeared shortly afterwards (?).

EDIT: Found it: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/335604146/aloran

Last edited:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Added a timeline in FPWProf which allows seeing CPU usage over time, focusing on parts of the program's runtime instead of all samples (so, e.g, can figure out why it takes long to start or exit or why loading a map is slow while ignoring anything else) and the ability for the profiled/sampled program to send commands to the profiler, including adding markers to the timeline (for making it easier to figure out when something begins/ends, etc):

K5aqp0b.gif

It can also show which samples in the timeline contain a specific function, which is another way to figure out when a function starts taking too much time.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Added a new feature in FPWProf that will be part of 1.3 - this needs a bit more testing but it is quite neat: being able to watch addresses that the sampled/profiled program registers and then show them on the timeline, which e.g. allows (as in the video below) to register the FPS counter together with some other metrics (shadow updates, mesh renders) and see how they relate to each other as well as which functions take more time when significant changes happen. Basically trying to figure out what exactly happens when the framerate drops.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Worked a bit more on Little Immersive Engine (aside from testing FPWProf i hadn't touched since May 25) and implemented the world outline where layers, entities and elements can be seen, selections, property editing (the property editor control was already there but didn't do anything) and undo/redo. Here is a quick capture with me "redo"ing a bunch of edits i did and "undo"ed (this is just keeping Ctrl+Shift+Z down to replay all steps):

I wonder if the author of Steamfolk Tales is still here? What's up with the game, is it dead?

This reminded me of a different game, also developed by a Codexian dev. Dude used to post cool pre-rendered isometric environments with characters and stuff, but then cancelled the Kickstarter campaign and disappeared shortly afterwards (?).

WTF $2k of an $85k goal!? Kickstarter is evil, why did they not get funded? I demand answers!

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

WTF $2k of an $85k goal!? Kickstarter is evil, why did they not get funded? I demand answers!

IIRC the developer cancelled the campaign after the initial wave of criticism.

IIRC the developer cancelled the campaign after the initial wave of criticism.

Yeah it does seem to be lacking functionality.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
By quick skim of the docs/code and HackerNews post they did rewrite at least the renderer part from Lumberyard, so it's not just a relicense..

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Some tests for displaying my new menu for unlocking skills

SkillBoardTest2.jpg

SkillBoardTest1.jpg

Doing the borders was the most obnoxious part. I had to set up the borders manually for every possible combination, then do a bitmask for whether every space has neighbors in the neighboring spaces.

Top left = 128
Top center = 64
Top right = 32

And so on. Then I add up the results and save it for every blank space. Then when it's time to display the skill board (different skill board for every character class), the blank spaces choose their own border based on the bitmask using a 255-line switch/case statement.

There might have been an easier way to do it, but this works, and it's fast, so I'm keeping it.

Edit: Marble patterns made in World Machine using a Voronoi noise generator to guide a Perlin noise generator, fed into a heightmap colorizer, made tileable in Photoshop. Borders created in Photoshop with the Bevel & Emboss effect. The background shifts around with a 3D effect. And the sparks meander upwards. All of the UI is rendered in Flash.

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
DGJ is almost finished. Hoping to reach the release candidate in a week or two, then give it a month of final playtesting / polishing treatment before the inevitable release.

It started as a small bottle episode that was supposed to be finished in 6-9 months to combat financial insecurity after releasing DGT, but eventually grew into a bigger and more complex project. I think it ended up being bigger and better than DGS and DGT combined in terms of mechanical complexity, size, playtime and content. With a bigger budget it could be even bigger, but sadly, funds aren't infinite.

If you happen to know journos / youtubers / streamers focused on dungeon crawlers, let me know. Otherwise, feel free to wishlist the game on Steam.

MosCJo8.png

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Equipment change, which highlights changes to your stats:
ChangeEquipment.jpg

The skill unlocking system. Here, everything available to this character class is shown as unlocked, but in the game you'll unlock one tile at a time, which will discover the adjacent tiles.
SkillBoardTest5.jpg

SkillBoardTest4.jpg

SkillBoardTest3.jpg

I spent virtually every waking minute of the last two days making those tiles and a bunch more. Most of the equipment icons I got from an Asset Store package, but I still had to do TONS of edits to get them ready. A few times I had to stop because my hand was cramping from holding the stylus.

The blue and red stones (representing mana and hit-point bonuses, respectively) I made entirely on my own and I'm pretty proud of them. I took the marble background I had already made, messed with the color, used the liquify filter to make the center bulge, and added some shading and highlights.

Any comments, criticism, suggestions, or questions?

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
questions?
Some of the icons are repeating like that sword with a gold glowing outline. Is that for alternate routes to acquire the same skill or do they stack?
They stack. Also, there will be different tiers differentiated with numbers in the upper right corner. Right now they all have the same icon, but I'll add the numbers on soon. And also, some of the skills share an icon, and I might add some unique icons later.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom