Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GreedFall - Gold Edition - new colonial-themed action-RPG from Spiders

Paul_cz

Arcane
Finished this today. Slightly better than Technomancer but not by much. Still suffers from..well, many issues. Fragmented world filled with invisible walls, black and white storytelling, endless running there and back and there and back...and it is way too long for its own good. Spiders do not have budget nor manpower to sustain 50 hour RPG. They barely have it for 30 hours.

Padzi

Arbiter
Finished this today. Slightly better than Technomancer but not by much. Still suffers from..well, many issues. Fragmented world filled with invisible walls, black and white storytelling, endless running there and back and there and back...and it is way too long for its own good. Spiders do not have budget nor manpower to sustain 50 hour RPG. They barely have it for 30 hours.

I could't agree more.
I liked the game BUT for me it was mostly walking simulator.
Example:
Siora's mum funeral was like - we traveled to the main destination 3 days, then realized we need some extra stuff for funeral, so we traveled back 3 days for the stuff, and of course we traveled back.

Falksi

Arcane

"Slightly better than the Technomancer" would make it the best action RPG I'd played since 2013's Witcher 2 :bounce:

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
Risen is one of my all-time favorite RPGs. How would you compare GreedFall to it? Is there comfy exploration and a decent combat system?

It seems somewhat similar based on the setting & gameplay I've seen. But I know the devs are French, and the reviews are mediocre...

The main criticism I've heard is that it's a walking sprinting sim. But I don't really mind that in RPGs, unless it's over-the-top like in Outward (where you run back & forth the same path dozens of times).

SoupNazi

Risen is one of my all-time favorite RPGs. How would you compare GreedFall to it? Is there comfy exploration and a decent combat system?

It seems somewhat similar based on the setting & gameplay I've seen. But I know the devs are French, and the reviews are mediocre...

The main criticism I've heard is that it's a walking sprinting sim. But I don't really mind that in RPGs, unless it's over-the-top like in Outward (where you run back & forth the same path dozens of times).
I'd say it's very similar, but yeah, a lot more walking sim in GreedFall. Problem is that walking sim is mostly in interconnected corridors, it's more of a labyrinth than an open field.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Problem is that walking sim is mostly in interconnected corridors, it's more of a labyrinth than an open field.

The issue isn't really that they are interconnected corridors (pretty much any "Kotorlike" does that :-P) but that a large number of the areas (think of it as NWN/Aurora-like areas) are just empty space with nothing to do. It is like someone trying to make a seamless open world game but with seams, if that makes sense (imagine Fallout 1 but instead of abstracting the world between the interesting areas in the world map with random encounters you had to travel through the empty space but still have to switch between areas when you reach the edges). It feels like padding since nothing would be lost if they removed some of the empty areas (aside from some grinding areas, if you feel like that, but that would be a matter of adjusting spawn rates for the remaining ones). One "wilderness" area between major cities just to give a sense of distance would be more than enough IMO.

Having said that IIRC you can use carts to move between the main cities instantly.

SoupNazi

Problem is that walking sim is mostly in interconnected corridors, it's more of a labyrinth than an open field.

The issue isn't really that they are interconnected corridors (pretty much any "Kotorlike" does that :-P) but that a large number of the areas (think of it as NWN/Aurora-like areas) are just empty space with nothing to do. It is like someone trying to make a seamless open world game but with seams, if that makes sense (imagine Fallout 1 but instead of abstracting the world between the interesting areas in the world map with random encounters you had to travel through the empty space but still have to switch between areas when you reach the edges). It feels like padding since nothing would be lost if they removed some of the empty areas (aside from some grinding areas, if you feel like that, but that would be a matter of adjusting spawn rates for the remaining ones). One "wilderness" area between major cities just to give a sense of distance would be more than enough IMO.

Having said that IIRC you can use carts to move between the main cities instantly.
Yeah, that's putting my point more eloquently and accurately. Completely agreed, and well described.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Every Piranha game, even weakest Risen 2, is better than Greedfall. Mostly thanks to Piranhas actually building seamless exploration-inviting worlds as opposed to tunnel based corridors.

But Greedfall is still decent.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Risen 2 was funny about pirate. Risen 3 was meh where they basically didn't bother to make an effort to make decent game.

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
Ever the sucker for any game on sale for more than half-price, I picked up this loaf of grade B mediocrity for the Thanksgiving weekend, and agree with everything written above.
The writing is bland pablum with near zero C&C. The 'noble savage' trope is hammered in with a 40# maul. Multicultural natives *and* colonials with odd mangled Scottish accents. Strongk warrior wahmen butchering armored soldiers HtH by the score. Gay romance prompted by first NPC as soon as you leave the first building.
It's canned nu-Bioware but mercifully bug free with ok mechanics and decent graphics.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Risen is one of my all-time favorite RPGs. How would you compare GreedFall to it?

So you drove an M4 and now you're at the Honda dealership. I'm sure you'll walk away happy.

Retarded comparison, Spiders' and PB's games don't have much in common, they're both 3rd person RPGs and that's about it. You might as well compare Gothic to Wizardry 8. Pointless.

Spiders are clearly enamored with Bioware stuff so working comparisons would be Mass Effect vs. Technomancer and Dragon Age vs. Greedfall. And I sure as shit enjoyed Technomancer WAY more than Andromeda and Greedfall WAY more than DA2 or DAI.

Falksi

Arcane
Finally getting round to playing it and agree with what a lot of folk say so far, the blandness is real.

That said I'm 7 hours in and still enjoying it, which is more to be said than most modern "RPGs". Despite writing which causes me to fuck about on my laptop or phone most of the time, the main story and world vibe has been interesting enough to keep me playing.

Combat is bizarre though. I was quite enjoying the sword play with humans, and then when the monster fights appeared it just delves into feeling like a really shit Dark Souls rip off.

Anyone here have any particular fun with any of the playstyles? And if so which? I'm playing Fighter+Technical at the mo, but thinking of switching to Battle Mage or just pure Mage.

Last edited:

Silverfish

Arbiter
Anyone here have any particular fun with any of the playstyles? And if so which?

Invest in 1-Handed swords and comb through all the shops until you find one with a poison effect. It's stupid, but the poison will actually trigger when you parry incoming attacks. You basically end up roleplaying a suicide booth.

Edit: Found the video I stole the tactic from,

Falksi

Arcane
Yeah, it's done more to put me off continuing than it has drawn me in tonight.

Will give it a bit more time tomorrow, but the blandness is really overpowering the experience.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Yeah, it's done more to put me off continuing than it has drawn me in tonight.

Will give it a bit more time tomorrow, but the blandness is really overpowering the experience.

The starting area is great but the new world is seriously disappointing in its lack of imagination

Falksi

Arcane
Yeah, decided to swat it off after a few more hours this morning. Played a lot worse games, it's not offensively bad, but they've definitely fucked up trying to match The Witcher 3 and Dark Souls. The game just ends up highlighting the studio's lack of resource and experience in those areas for taking that approach, and it ends up being really fucking boring.

Silverfish

Arbiter
The worst part is how it drags on. GreedFall probably would have been pretty sick as a 10-15 hour game with no fat like War Logs or Bound By Flame.

just

Liturgist
finished it finally
"im de sardet legate of the merchant congregation" and "drink a potion" is engraved into my mind now
like everyone said, lots of backtracking but at least enemies dont respawn every 5mins like in technomancer
was trying to act shitty to everyone but still ended up buddies
couldnt bang any chicks even in game as railroaded as this. only heart option was on the pirate guy i didnt dare to click it what if it's animated
i like it anyways
feel like 2 more games and we're gonna get top rpg

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
feel like 2 more games and we're gonna get top rpg

My only concern is that GreedFall felt a bit like Spiders was trying to make a seamless open world game without actually making one, especially the several repeated areas between the main areas.

I haven't being paying attention much to Steelrising, but i hope it doesn't go full seamless world.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I've finished this and enjoyed it very much. It's too bad the design demands you follow the quest markers and not explore at all in order to have the most tolerable playing experience, but I liked the power fantasy of being a diplomat who fixes everyone's problems and clears out corruption. Impressed that every faction had its bad and good people (a different studio could have very well made the fantasy Christians pure evil or made the island natives all Noble Savages). The De Vespe DLC probably costs more than it should, but I did like its story and the new music, so it was worth it for me. I've added Mars: War Logs to my queue and am looking forward to Greedfall 2 (though I understand why they went with a prequel; I was such an effective diplomat that I got the "And everyone lived happily ever after" ending).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom