Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warcraft III: Reforged - now with lowest user metacritic score of all time

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
What is even the point...

A retrospective is always written some time after the events, once the "dust has settled", and we know more, and more people have spoken out, etc. That's the point.
Sure,but you don't spend an hour meditating in retrospective after you had taken a big shit. Thus no point....in doing it now.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
This article just confirmed my suspicions - they didn't originally anticipate/realize how much time, effort, and money it would take to remaster Warcraft 3, a 3D game, at a high quality. WC3 is not a small game and it has hundreds of models with unique animations. Tbh, it looked undercooked the moment they announced it and it kept getting worse. Too bad they had to shit all over the original too.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
What is even the point...

A retrospective is always written some time after the events, once the "dust has settled", and we know more, and more people have spoken out, etc. That's the point.

Yes, but this only makes sense if the subject was either controversial when it was released or if something substantial changed in the meantime. Neither is the case for WC3R. On release, it was shit and despised by the community and it is still shit and despised by the community today. Hence, I don't see the point of this article. I guess Schreier just needed to wank himself.

GrainWetski

Arcane
What is even the point of writing such an article one and half years after the game was released? Everybody remotely interested in the subject knows that the game was a shitshow and was never repaired. Blizzard didn't even restore the option to play the untouched version of the game. The problems outlined in article (too little time, the wrong people in the wrong roles, understaffed, communication gaps) are also hardly unique and not particularly interesting.
The cuck is doing it because of the recent drama.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
I suppose the good news is that this indirectly made D2 Resurrected into the game is shaping up to be...unless they manage to fuck that up too.

Olinser

Savant
:necro:

Jason Schreier does Warcraft 3 Reforged: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...blizzard-s-botched-warcraft-iii-reforged-game

*SNIP* It had taken months to revamp one of Warcraft III’s levels; now they would have to do the same for dozens more. *SNIP*

HOW. I mean seriously. HOW THE HELL could it POSSIBLY take them MONTHS to revamp ONE SINGLE LEVEL!?!?!?!?!?

MONTHS for a single level????? Solo schmucks on the internet have made entire campaigns in less time -- WITH voice acting.

This literally boggles my mind, and just confirms that this was a group of low-tier morons that had no idea what the hell they were doing from the start, and that they were incapable of doing this justice no matter how much time they were given.

But hey. At least they got those female death knight and demon hunter models out, right?? Gotta focus on the IMPORTANT things!!!

Olinser

Savant
I suppose the good news is that this indirectly made D2 Resurrected into the game is shaping up to be...unless they manage to fuck that up too.

Given that they've already openly said that they're fucking with the base game and that the D2 remaster is only going to be '70% original', its pretty much a guarantee that it will be shit.

Nobody at Activision Blizzard has the talent to make a game like D2, this is going to end like that idiot lady that decided she was going to 'fix' the painting of Jesus.

9vpA61WymCoLMOcVI3EULU4sjxrGj_YT8snJv2tJ3Ho.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
HOW. I mean seriously. HOW THE HELL could it POSSIBLY take them MONTHS to revamp ONE SINGLE LEVEL!?!?!?!?!?

It really depends on what they thought the scope of the project was. There are endless ways you could attempt to improve an old 3D game. At the high end you're creating an entirely new game, like FF7 remake vs FF7.

Last edited:

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
This article just confirmed my suspicions - they didn't originally anticipate/realize how much time, effort, and money it would take to remaster Warcraft 3, a 3D game, at a high quality. WC3 is not a small game and it has hundreds of models with unique animations. Tbh, it looked undercooked the moment they announced it and it kept getting worse. Too bad they had to shit all over the original too.

It's still, ugly clunky and badly optimized. I stopped playing midway through the Blood Elven campaign and never looked back.
The only thing that's objectively better is that some rules from The Frozen Throne were transplanted into the base game, so for example heroes with orbs can take down fliers.

MONTHS for a single level????? Solo schmucks on the internet have made entire campaigns in less time -- WITH voice acting.

This literally boggles my mind, and just confirms that this was a group of low-tier morons that had no idea what the hell they were doing from the start, and that they were incapable of doing this justice no matter how much time they were given.

But hey. At least they got those female death knight and demon hunter models out, right?? Gotta focus on the IMPORTANT things!!!

No initial design vision/direction and no graphics pipeline.

Zeriel

Arcane
:necro:

Jason Schreier does Warcraft 3 Reforged: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...blizzard-s-botched-warcraft-iii-reforged-game

*SNIP* It had taken months to revamp one of Warcraft III’s levels; now they would have to do the same for dozens more. *SNIP*

Wasn't all the art done overseas by outsourcers (i.e Chinks & Koreans as usually happens)? This is just peak American game dev and American "corporations" in general now. A bunch of overpaid upper middle class retards doing nothing while management outsources all the work to other countries, does a bad job, then releases it as a shitshow, and the American devs complain about how they were mistreated for doing literally nothing.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Given that they've already openly said that they're fucking with the base game and that the D2 remaster is only going to be '70% original', its pretty much a guarantee that it will be shit.

what is going to change in the D2 remaster? I though it was just a modern graphical overlay with the old game running underneath

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
“But they've earned quite a bit of trust over the years, and it will take more than one bad game release to destroy it.”

"We only got a plate full of shit, there wasn't even any broken glass in it!"

Zeriel

Arcane
“But they've earned quite a bit of trust over the years, and it will take more than one bad game release to destroy it.”

"We only got a plate full of shit, there wasn't even any broken glass in it!"

"Sure, the dining room is full of radioactive waste and the chef chopped off my leg, but this restaurant USED to be good. Does it really matter if we almost died going there this time? I'm going back next week!"

Olinser

Savant

what is going to change in the D2 remaster? I though it was just a modern graphical overlay with the old game running underneath

'Key quality of life improvements' was the verbiage being thrown around, and they were talking up SJW bullshit like 'accessibility' and how a player with a disability could play the game. They're also making it 'cross progression' so that consoles and PC can play at the same time (which means they're dumbing down the gameplay so that console mouthbreathers won't be at a disadvantage).

I pretty much completely tuned out at that point. Nothing about anything Activision Blizzard has done the last 5 years makes me think that they have the SLIGHEST idea why the game was actually popular, and that they have every intention of fucking the base game up in the name of 'accessibility'.

Blizzard is dead and buried. It's Activision Blizzard now.

Mazisky

Magister
Just a note, I've tried the Quenching mod and it improves the graphics considerably, expecially the environments. I suggest giving it a try

OctavianRomulus

Learned
Considering what a huge PR disaster this was (on top of many others), the decent thing would be to redo it all over again. Old Blizzard would have done it or rather would never have released a half-baked game. New Blizzard doesn't even want to talk about this game.

Last edited:

Psquit

Arcane
But they've earned quite a bit of trust over the years, and it will take more than one bad game release to destroy it.

"Activision Blizzard is being investigated for sexist workplace practices" Uh oh.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
What a fucking dumpster fire. The people of Blizzard used to be my heroes. I think Diablo 4 is their last chance. D2R looks good but it's really just buying time until D4.

No wonder their stories are so fucking bad these days. I don't expect such morally bankrupt people to make a good, inspiring story. I get the feeling that Mike Morhaime and Chris Metzen were the good guys at Blizzard and Chris is a bit too idealistic for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom