Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima The Ultima Underworld I & II Thread

Butter

Arcane
Patron
UU with non-busted controls would be nifty.

Codex Year of the Donut
the unity port has mouselook and other control changes
https://github.com/hankmorgan/UnderworldExporter
3 The following are the default controls

Movement - WASD
Jump - Space
Toggle mouselook* - E
Cast selected spell* - Q
Toggle fullscreen* - F (some ui elements are draggable in fullscreen mode)
Interaction modes* F1 to F6.
Fly Up* - R
Fly down* = V
Track* = T
Charge Attack - Hold down right mouse key
Release Attack - Release right mouse key.

In game a context sensitive overlay will tell you what a right or left click will do when hovering over an object.

*These controls can be edited by changing the values in the config.ini file. Other standard controls are managed by the Unity launcher. Mouse sensitivity and axis settings can be configured from the config.ini

It has been a long time since I've played UU so I can't even remember what the controls were like tbh

agris

Arcane
Patron
by modern standards

nuke2.png

KafkaBot

Scholar
The links do not open from my end, even with VPN. I already have the games on GOG, but I'm actually curious; have they actually been removed from Origin as well, or is region locking the only reason I can't see them?

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
The links do not open from my end, even with VPN. I already have the games on GOG, but I'm actually curious; have they actually been removed from Origin as well, or is region locking the only reason I can't see them?

Something to keep an eye on will be whether Ultima Underworld 1 & 2 disappear from Origin next week as well:

They're gone.

KafkaBot

Scholar

Something to keep an eye on will be whether Ultima Underworld 1 & 2 disappear from Origin next week as well:

They're gone.

Thanks for confirming!

Well, I won't tell EA to get fucked just yet, since it is possible they intend to remaster the games so they no longer require dealing with DOSBox. Who knows, these remasters might even come with mouselook options pre-installed.

Sadly, I have to admit that the odds of this turning into yet another "Enhanced Edition" fiasco are not negligible.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

They're gone.

Thanks for confirming!

Well, I won't tell EA to get fucked just yet, since it is possible they intend to remaster the games so they no longer require dealing with DOSBox. Who knows, these remasters might even come with mouselook options pre-installed.

Sadly, I have to admit that the odds of this turning into yet another "Enhanced Edition" fiasco are not negligible.

I can follow the link to Ultima Underworld I but not II. UUI shows up with a price tag and everything, whereas UU2 isn't found at all. Oddly, if I browse the PC games section of the Origin site, I can't find either of the games whether by search or browsing alphabetically.

Same thing in the Origin client.

DaveO

Erudite
That GoG essentially has rental agreements for hosting the games should not come as a major surprise. I have not kept an eye out on GoG sales besides the winter/Christmas ones. If they truly competed against Steam there might have been better efforts on both sides. Both Steam and GoG are guilty of poor quality control where the games either won't run or need workarounds. I can't imagine this getting better with the Windows 11 announcement.

Spukrian

Savant
So I finished Ultima Underworld II today. Great game, in some ways even better than the first. But sadly it has quite a few more frustrating things in the game as well. Honestly I was a bit frustrated with the game so I took a break from it for a couple of weeks. But I'll definitely replay it sometime in the future!

What's next... I guess Terra Nova Strike Force Centauri maybe...?

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Do I need to play Ultima 7 to understand UUII? U7 never interested me too much so I never had the chance to play it. And I especially don't want to play the stuff before 7 either.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
It helps to read/watch an LP, or maybe just a summary of what went down in U7. That way The Guardian and the characters in the castle will be more familiar to you.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
What's next... I guess Terra Nova Strike Force Centauri maybe...?
Probably the best game where you're in a set of power armor. Very weighty, good controls, but has a learning curve. The story's nice, but its told through live-action cutscenes, and there's a lack of locations and everything seems to be dark. Almost like they're trying to hide something, like how cheap it really is. :roll:
Should point out though, that I've not yet started either UU, so Terra Nova could be easier to control with that in mind.

Last edited:

Spukrian

Savant
Do I need to play Ultima 7 to understand UUII? U7 never interested me too much so I never had the chance to play it. And I especially don't want to play the stuff before 7 either.
I've only played UU1 before playing UUII and I didn't have any trouble...

Sure, there are lots of characters from previous games that you're supposed to have a connection to, but I got on fine.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
You could just read the manuals to u7/si/fov/ss and both uw manuals. That's more than enough lore if you want it.

Spukrian

Savant
Probably the best game where you're in a set of power armor. Very weighty, good controls, but has a learning curve. The story's nice, but its told through live-action cutscenes, and there's a lack of locations and everything seems to be dark. Almost like they're trying to hide someone, like how cheap it really is. :roll:
Should point out though, that I've not yet started either UU, so Terra Nova could be easier to control with that in mind.
I did start playing it a while back, I think before I played UU1, I played through two missions or so. The controls are very similar to UU1/II and SS1. I had a blast circlestrafing around the enemies.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://af.gog.com/forum/general/ul..._syndicate_wars_delisting/page1?as=1649904300

We’d like to inform you that, on publisher's request, Ultima Underworld 1+2, Syndicate Plus and Syndicate Wars will be delisted from our catalog on Monday, June 28th, 1 PM UTC.

For everyone who purchased the titles prior to delisting, they will remain in their GOG library.

aliens.png

https://af.gog.com/news/bgrab_your_...ars_and_ultima_underworld_i_iib?as=1649904300

Today we have a HUGE surprise for all classic game fans! 4 outstanding titles return to GOG.COM, accompanied by a special message from their publisher:

„Syndicate and Ultima Underworld are back! It seems that twenty years on there’s still plenty of love for these titles so we’re pleased to confirm that effective immediately they’ll be available again on GOG, and we’ll be keeping them in the store for the foreseeable future. To celebrate this we’re offering these games as a free download for four weeks.”

That’s right! Until the 3rd of September 2021, 5 PM UTC, you can grab copies of Syndicate Plus™, Syndicate Wars, and Ultima Underworld I & II free of charge.

So, don’t hesitate any longer and dive into the captivating worlds of those classic gems!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom