Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Still haven't capped Attack Speed yet? Oh well, let's hope for the best in the next league...

Reinhardt

Arcane
I want to play it again sometimes. But everytime i'm reading most recent changes and everytime i'm "nah, fuck it". Did they even made anything better in last few years? ANYTHING? Game looks more and more like some shitty mod right now.

Ziem

Arbiter
2x Kikizaru + Sanctum of Thought
100% reduced curse effect does not make you immune to curses, you are still affected by curses with increased curse effect (ie curses from map mods with 60% increased effect + awakening bonus multiplier ...)

tritosine2k

Erudite
I want to play it again sometimes. But everytime i'm reading most recent changes and everytime i'm "nah, fuck it". Did they even made anything better in last few years? ANYTHING? Game looks more and more like some shitty mod right now.
You can get specific alva temple maps or sell your own. You can get 6link out of such sale too I think.You can exalt craft in harvest.
You need to carve out some niche to have some build synergy for above. I don't think it's fun to follow builds and not understanding possible offshoots of that.

some guy on discord said:
i think because temples are going to be highly farmed because the only way to get 21/23 gems are now the double corrupt, so architects may go pretty cheap but the vial still going to be alot
I don't quite get the second part or what use is that for.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
We don't really know how common the flask currency will be. Afaik the curse removal also no longer gives any curse immunity at all, so there's a very real chance you will run out of charges if you don't clear everything super fast.
Just get Hallowed Mana Flask of Warding (either Ample or Chemist's) if you're worried and smash trigger orbs at it until it triggers on curse. You can store 8-10 uses in that thing. Hell, with a chemist's flask, reduced flask charges used belt, and passives, you can make that 30 charge flask only cost 2 charges per sip and get you 15 uses that recharge really fast. That's ridiculous overkill, but getting 8-10 uses is very easy and usually also more than enough.

And it obviously doesn't help against map mod curses which was the primary use of curse removal/immunity before.
That's probably going to be Numbing Elixir notable spam or Atziri's Reflection if that's what you're after, yeah. That or Chains of Emancipation and maintaining 25+ rage, which works well enough for some builds. At least numbing elixir variety makes you unaffected by all elemental ailments and curses while you keep a single enduring hybrid flask active.

Farming for tabula seems easy and pretty fast, never heard of farming vault maps before.
End-game farmers usually aren't hard-up for 6Ls so they don't give as much of a fuck about farming for that. There are a lot of divination cards that make 6L bases too. All that shit probably gets lumped into "farm for 6L divination cards" tbh. And if they're in trading leagues they might prefer to farm for stuff that they can just trade for a mountain of fusings/fated connections/whatever.

Home-brewed off meta stuff in SSF :M
SSF homebrew should still enable you to hit over a million DPS easy though.

There is truth to this, but well, iron reflexes is often quite far away on the tree, and I find that ~10k armor is still pretty helpful against trash mob attacks even if it does basically nothing against boss attacks.
Just stack endurance charges and use fortify, really.

2x Kikizaru + Sanctum of Thought
100% reduced curse effect does not make you immune to curses, you are still affected by curses with increased curse effect (ie curses from map mods with 60% increased effect + awakening bonus multiplier ...)
True. That shit'll require a Guardian ascendancy or the Numbing Elixir flask notables if you're not just using Atziri's Reflection or Chains of Emancipation.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Maybe I'm not that good. But well, it's easy to hit million dps++ with certain skills, and certain builds. Minions for example, easy peasy. Wild strike raider? Not so easy (at least for me). In my defence I should also say that I tend to have pretty humble assumptions, so I don't assume I'll manage to get a 6L to arrive at my "estimated dps" for a build.
anyone doing flask throwing build?
I'll probably wait a few days for PoB to get properly updated, then do some theorycrafting with it, see if it's any good. I've never done a deadeye build after all.

Jason Liang

Arcane
There's more content and side content, crafting is better, the game is far more stable, and other qol improvements.

Absinthe

Arcane
anyone doing flask throwing build?
Go nuts. Hollow Palm Technique will probably work wonders with it. Your main issue will be obtaining 6 flask charges per hit (ignite is overrated without specialized investment), which means you are probably going to want flask charges on crit and maybe make some kind of autocrit build out of it. So I guess you'd want a Hunter's belt for flask charge on crit and play an Assassin as they autocrit on the first hit very easily and use that Pure Talent jewel for another +0.5% crit chance. Your Topaz and Sapphire flasks should both be 40% perpetual flasks for the faster charge generation (or maybe ample flask depending on circumstances). You might want to contemplate an Overflowing Chalice with the Enkindler Orb for extreme duration too. If you get an Asenath's Brutal Restraint jewel you can get lucky critical strike chance at all times while your crits also do lucky damage.

Another option is to just go Berserker instead of Assassin for the massive bonuses to attack damage and attack speed without really trying, but getting a good crit score will be more annoying.

Maybe I'm not that good. But well, it's easy to hit million dps++ with certain skills, and certain builds. Minions for example, easy peasy. Wild strike raider? Not so easy (at least for me). In my defence I should also say that I tend to have pretty humble assumptions, so I don't assume I'll manage to get a 6L to arrive at my "estimated dps" for a build.
Farming a Tabula Rasa is pretty easy though. Using Wild Strike is generally going to give you more issues developing damage, but if you use Combat Focus to set it into a specific mode you can fix a lot of those problems (but you still deal with the bullshit elemental damage reduction). Shit like Lightning Strike is usually easier for the same general purpose.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Combat Focus to set it into a specific mode you can fix a lot of those problems (but you still deal with the bullshit elemental damage reduction).
Ssf though, so no can do uniques like that . Also farming tabula is boring, so I usually don’t.

Absinthe

Arcane
Combat Focus to set it into a specific mode you can fix a lot of those problems (but you still deal with the bullshit elemental damage reduction).
Ssf though, so no can do uniques like that . Also farming tabula is boring, so I usually don’t.
You can craft/farm uniques in SSF but if you are doing Wild Strike without combat focus in SSF it's no surprise your damage sucks. At least play Berserker Marauder and make sure to have Blood Rage active if you are going to do that shit. You'll do much much more damage that way. You can also use an Ancestral Protector totem for 20% more attack speed. Just ignore melee damage because that doesn't apply to any of your wild strike effects.

Perkel

Arcane
So is the game shit now?

ACT1 is much better now after changes. It is still too spamy due to very early supports but overall they tuned it much better than previous state. Bosses actually take some time now to kill instead of being complete push overs. Rhoas can actually stun you like they did in beta.

As long as you don't have some low level god tier gear it is fun to play act1. Also league content actually now is on par with act1 difficulty.

As far as other changes i am yet to spend some decent hours with it but from reading reddit there is glorious hate toward GGG for lowering speed down a lot and butchering their mana. All known streamers also die like bitches now because at least for now they can't zoom zoom anymore.

It will take at least 2-3 patches like this to make POE again good. Unfortunately the main issue monster density don't seem to be ever on GGG target and as recently as a few days ago Wilson said that they are very happy with monster density or he is lying before next big rebalance patch.

As for league content itself meh. They basically added Qued from D2 and some variations of it and another type of piniatas which looks very much like abyss.

That being said finally one expansion that doesn't force you to fight with timer and you can also decide what to tackle. There are plenty of artifacts that give monsters total immunity to XX source of damage so those zoom zoomers also hate it.

Perkel

Arcane
Also with 550 life and some decent regen i almost died in 2nd level of chamber of sins due to skelly lighting mages throwing spark.

550 life and decent regen previously was enough for act 3 end with 0 resists completely tanking everything. IDK if this is this patch or this was changes in last 3-4 expansions i did not play.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Decided I'll play poison CI occultist with blade volley, or blade blast and bladefall. I really like the sfx of bladefall, but the dps seems a lot worse since you need to alternate spells. I'll see how it feels.

Absinthe

Arcane
Lyric Suite, reddit is just bitching and moaning for hand-holding conveniences as usual.

Closed beta PoE was a lot more interesting than the cluttered click fiesta and incoherent narrative it's turned into, but the latest league isn't really particularly worse than the norm. Some of the changes, like the mana cost ones, are mostly a return to closed beta, although that won't do anywhere near enough to fix the issue of mana pools being a joke mechanic unless you're doing shit that actually scales with mana pool size, and even then it's not really resource management that's what matters there. The old auras that scales with flat mana costs instead of percentages were one way to make mana pools matter, but that stuff still did not meaningfully represent any constraint against mana consumption and basically made your mana pool size into a source of permanent buffs, and now it's all turned into percentile reservations and "reduced mana reserved" shit with your auras getting special effect riders from ascendancies.

Honestly PoE needs a much more fundamental overhaul if they want to make a lot of their mechanics matter in the way they'd prefer. PoE 2 won't deliver that, and neither will these patches. So far PoE is just PoE, a grindy click fiesta of a loot simulator where most of the excitement happens when you're planning a build and the disappointment happens when you're playing the game repetitively grinding everything.

Some of the new skills are a bit entertaining, like the flask skill, and manabond looks like fuel for an extreme damage monster build (right after they nerfed archmage too, bizarrely enough).

Jaedar, Assassin is much, much better for poison bladefall/etc builds. That said, you'll not only want Divergent Blade Blast, you'll probably also want a replica heartbreaker or two.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Closed Beta POE will require much more than just a DPS, mana and flask nerf to get back to.

There was far less monster damage and far more attrition for one thing. The game also had far less stacked mechanics to cause clutter.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I'm playing Witch (occultist), found Toxic Rain in act 2 so the setup is LMB: Toxic Rain, Scroll button: Spell Totem Blight, RMB: Flame Dash, as well as Reaper, Discipline, and Herald of Purity. For some reason the build feels super tanky, was tanking Domitus with no real issues and no deaths. That being said, I always die to Kaom and act 4 Piety, so we'll see.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
There were far fewer monsters in closed beta too, and back then every monster tended to drop something. But even closed beta had its issues. Mana was trivialized too easily (and the game was never balanced around the use of mana as a mechanic to be rationed so we have a resource which is not realistically used as a resource management pressure), movement existed in such excess that you knew even then that PoE was not going to manage serious positional and environmental challenges in dungeon-crawling, a lot of RNG mechanics became absurd even back then when public trading allowed you to get perfect gear, and so on. Resists are another silly mechanic. They're mostly a gear check (but at least if you spam resist nodes on your passive tree you can make budget/unique-heavy builds by avoiding the need to gear resists) and everyone runs around with 75%+ resists unless they've got a stunt to make 100% of one element's damage be taken as another damage type (ie. Eyes of the Greatwolf or Avian Twins Talisman with the timeless jewel that has a keystone converting 50% of elemental damage taken into chaos). And as always there's the issue that melee builds are shit when you can do your damage from range unless you pull stunts to make your melee hit enemies so far away that it's really not melee anymore. Hybrid builds are also still jokes. Incidentally, closed beta's Granite Flasks gave 5k armor and closed beta's Diamond Flasks just made all your abilities auto-crit just like Diamond Shrines do, but they only lasted 2 seconds and consumed 80/80 charges iirc.

PoE would've been a far better game if it tried to get back to the Diablo-like genre's Roguelike roots and tried to improve its encounter and environment design too instead of just endlessly bloating shit and then relying on one-shotting boss patterns to make up for it.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom