Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Community Created Content (Original Levels)

v1rus

Arcane
In the last couple of days I read more than a couple of posts rating Skyrim based Enderal as great, which I've been hearing good stuff about for quite a while. I've also been playing Thief 2, which reminded me that theres a huge fan mission community for Thief games out there, with some of them being regarded as quite :obviously:

This got me thinking what are some of the best missions/campaigns created by the community itself. Not talking about mods, patches and such, but original, playable content for an official game, made by fans.

I guess stuff like Dota (or Aeon of Strife) or Counter-Strike are relevant, but being multiplayer experiences, you 've gotta admit there is a certain difference between those and Enderal/Thief FMs/Doom WADs.

Codex Year of the Donut
There's a few for FO2(? I assume they're based on FO2 and not FO1) -- Olympus 2207, Fallout Resurrection, and some others I forgot that someone else will probably know about.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Now that you've mentioned Thief and fully original playable content in the same post, I'm obliged to mention The Dark Mod. Total Conversion of Doom 3 technically, although it's built completely from the ground up so I'm not sure how much Doom 3 is even in there, it might be more accurate to call it a fangame made using idTech 4.
The actual game itself only has 2 or so official missions and mainly thrives on community made missions, but all in all it's a prime example of the fans taking matters into their own hands and releasing a game that is true to the spirit of the originals.

I could go into listing fantastic maps/missions/WADs for Quake, Thief, Doom, etc. but it'd still be typing out my list come tomorrow probably. So many hours of great content and even completely novel experiences for so many games at no additional cost, little wonder it fell out of flavor.

Last edited:

Sjukob

Arcane
streets-of-rage-remake-v4-wallpapers-2345289.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom