Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Savegame limitations?

Should there be any savegame limitations in RPG games?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Codex Year of the Donut
Saving anytime is important when you dont have whole day for gaming.
I think save anywhere is important because I can't list the number of times I've had to leave a game in a hurry whether due to kids or some form of emergency. Just the other day I had to alt-F4 out of combat in order to rush to the hospital. On top of whatever crisis I'm dealing with, I don't also want to have to replay from some hours ago checkpoint. That tends to just make me put a game down and never get back to it.
this is such a stupid cope
"oh I can't have real limitations in my game because I'm an adult!"

it's called fucking save and quit, have you guys even played video games?
just admit you like to cheat already instead of making bullshit up

Norfleet

I would like to also point out that, from a development standpoint, NOT having a save-game system can make the entire process of testing anything a real bitch. Consider that, the further you get from the point where you last were allowed to save, the bigger the pain in the ass it is to test this particular piece of content.

Codex Year of the Donut
I would like to also point out that, from a development standpoint, NOT having a save-game system can make the entire process of testing anything a real bitch. Consider that, the further you get from the point where you last were allowed to save, the bigger the pain in the ass it is to test this particular piece of content.
developers use cheating when testing all the time to make it more convenient, that's not a good argument

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think save anywhere is important because I can't list the number of times I've had to leave a game in a hurry whether due to kids or some form of emergency. Just the other day I had to alt-F4 out of combat in order to rush to the hospital. On top of whatever crisis I'm dealing with, I don't also want to have to replay from some hours ago checkpoint. That tends to just make me put a game down and never get back to it.

Sure, as soon as you admit that you're a closeted furry homosexual. Don't think we didn't notice Sexy Tails and Other Puzzlingly Attractive Furry Things in your Steam recommendations.

And for the record, that hospital call actually did happen very recently, you edgy fucking cunt.

Codex Year of the Donut

Sure, as soon as you admit that you're a closeted furry homosexual. Don't think we didn't notice Sexy Tails and Other Puzzlingly Attractive Furry Things in your Steam recommendations.

And for the record, that hospital call actually did happen very recently, you edgy fucking cunt.
I'm sorry that you're so mentally impaired that hitting escape then clicking "save and quit" is a difficult process for you.

mediocrepoet

Patron

I'm sorry that you're so mentally impaired that hitting escape then clicking "save and quit" is a difficult process for you.

I'm sorry that you didn't realize that you can't save in combat, you abject moron.

Codex Year of the Donut

I'm sorry that you didn't realize that you can't save in combat, you abject moron.
RPGs are forever, your father is temporary.

Norfleet

developers use cheating when testing all the time to make it more convenient, that's not a good argument
Having to cheat your way through the level just so you can test one thing in it is STILL TERRIBLY INCONVENIENT. Trust me on this. If you've ever done any kind of modding or development, you know how terribly convenient it is to be able to plop a save right before the thing you're trying to test. Sure, I can cheat my way through the level to get to that point, but if that save point is a good 5 minutes away, it's massively inconvenient.

mediocrepoet

Patron

RPGs are forever, your father is temporary.

Well, I suppose there's at least a little truth in all shitposts. :love:

WhiteShark

Learned
Having to cheat your way through the level just so you can test one thing in it is STILL TERRIBLY INCONVENIENT. Trust me on this. If you've ever done any kind of modding or development, you know how terribly convenient it is to be able to plop a save right before the thing you're trying to test. Sure, I can cheat my way through the level to get to that point, but if that save point is a good 5 minutes away, it's massively inconvenient.
I have no doubt whatsoever that rusty was implying that, among the other cheats devs use for testing, they can use a save anywhere system that they don't intend to actually implement for players. How you didn't understand that is beyond me.

Zibniyat

Arcane
To reiterate, just because you can refuse to use a broken mechanic doesn't mean the mechanic is well designed.

I'm having a hard time believing there are people seriously propositioning that a save system is just another gameplay mechanic like any other. I've never in my life seen this proposition put forward before.

And I'm not going to go along with it, sorry.

Red Hexapus

Learned
Yes, and to avoid this, the designer nowadays puts only one meaningful choice in the whole game just after the last autosave. Is this now much better?
Also, generally, you might include choices with more than two options to choose from. Nobody replays the same game 5 times, or at least I will put so much time in between that I don't remember anymore what I chose the last time.
Well, I guess video games being an interactive medium which tries to present a coherent story will always have to resort to the "smoke and mirrors" approach, where you have multiple choices throughout the game which only have minor overall effect. It's the unfortunate case of increasing the scope and interactivity of the game at the exponentially increasing cost of resources (graphics, models, dialogues etc.) required.

Still, if done right, at least your choices influence the game state and game's resolution in some way (e.g. games from Fallout series). If done wrong... well we get this awkward "only one truly meaningful decision at the end of the game" you've mentioned (looking at you "choose-the-button" Deus Ex Human Revolution...)

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I eagerly accept C&Cs. The reason I want a save everywhere feature in the game is the same reason I hate savescum: I hate repeating the same segment in the game that I have already played. If the game forces you to repeat a long session from a far checkpoint, resetting your progress, how it is good for C&C?. It is just an artificilal padding of time with boring repetitions.

Codex Year of the Donut
I eagerly accept C&Cs. The reason I want a save everywhere feature in the game is the same reason I hate savescum: I hate repeating the same segment in the game that I have already played. If the game forces you to repeat a long session from a far checkpoint, resetting your progress, how it is good for C&C?. It is just an artificilal padding of time with boring repetitions.
git gud

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Did you? How many games have this feature?
essentially every game with a limited saving system
I'm sorry you guys are so addicted to cheating that you don't play games without cheats
I am sorry but I am trying to be realistic here. The games that have this feature are an absolute minority. Paradoxically you find more exceptions, i.e. you have save and quit, in games that already have free saves.

Codex Year of the Donut
I'm sorry you guys are so addicted to cheating that you don't play games without cheats
I am sorry but I am trying to be realistic here. The games that have this feature are an absolute minority. Paradoxically you find more exceptions, i.e. you have save and quit, in games that already have free saves.
I'm struggling to think of games that have limited saving that don't have this feature.
I have a feeling you're going to list a bunch of jap garbage I've never played

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I'm struggling to think of games that have limited saving that don't have this feature.
Please give me some examples. The only I can think of are the Japanese garbage such as the Dark Souls series.

Codex Year of the Donut
Please give me some examples. The only I can think of are the Japanese garbage such as the Dark Souls series.
You realize they ripped that right from roguelikes... Right?
...Right?

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
You realize they ripped that right from roguelikes... Right?
...Right?
Obviously, and?
edit: Just to be clear, when I think "save & quit" I don't mean that you restart form the last checkpoint/save point when you restart the game. In this case it is just a checkpoint and doesn't solve the issue. With proper "save and exit" I mean that I restart exactly where I quitted.

Last edited:

Humanophage

Arcane
Forced Ironman mode generally spoils RPGs. Instead of challenging and interesting fights, you have to stick to boring fights you are guaranteed to win. Instead of a series of interesting puzzles, it becomes a grind fest where the main thing being tested is your constant mild attentiveness. If a game is entertaining to restart, like most strategies are, then Ironman is warranted. However, that is not the case in most RPGs, and so Ironman mainly turns into an unfortunate way of increasing play time so the game looks attractive on Steam.

Codex Year of the Donut
Ironman mode generally spoils RPGs. Instead of challenging and interesting fights, you have to stick to boring fights you are guaranteed to win. Instead of a series of interesting puzzles, it becomes a grind fest where the main thing being tested is your constant mild attentiveness. If a game is entertaining to restart, like most strategies are, then Ironman is warranted. However, that is not the case in most RPGs, and so Ironman mainly turns into an unfortunate way of increasing play time so the game looks attractive on Steam.
Wtf does this have to do with ironman mode?
Why do you guys keep coming up with strawmen for as to why you can't play video games without cheating?

Humanophage

Arcane
Wtf does this have to do with ironman mode?
Why do you guys keep coming up with strawmen for as to why you can't play video games without cheating?
OP: "In DS or Diablo 2 there is the checkpoint system with respawn. In JA you can play in Iron Man mode. What about autosave only? Any other system you would consider?"

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Rusty I am still expecting examples of "save & quit" in modern games. And Just to be clear: when I think "save & quit" I don't mean that you restart form the last checkpoint/save point . In this case it is just a checkpoint with another name. With proper "save and exit" I mean that I restart exactly in the point where I quitted.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom