Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Nexus Now Disallowing Creators To Delete Their Mods (Aug 5 Cutoff Date Passed)

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
dont know if this got posted yet, but here is a perfect example of modder ego: https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/jkxigq/you_decide_what_happens_next_subreddit/

:Sigh:

It's long, I'm sorry about it. I'm asking you to read everything. I didn't expect to impact this much the field of animations and behavior modding when I started, but it did happen. Depending on your choice the same thing could happen for other fields and the game could get overhauled in depth or everything could stop.

For what may be my last post, I'm switching back to my old style. Sorry, it'll be long, my new style is compact but removes all emotion markers to keep only the information. Aknowledge before reading that my life is fokin great, I'm incredibly happy and I am not bitter. Everything has been well thought out, I'm never making a post in the heat of the instant. I've always been open and honest before, the difference is I usually don't write what's implicit. The form changes, not the information. This time everything will be explicit because you'll have a choice to make at the end. I want you to know exactly what you're doing and what's going on.

Who I am, why I used to mod
I am a really nice person. Like not just nice, way too nice. It took me a long time to learn how to say no ^(and as you see I make good use of it now). I did my first mods ^((translations and two mods enhancing Combat Fatigue)) because I had issues with my game, if I faced them others must have too. I'd upload my mods, see I solved issues for others, this is cool, this is great.

I started getting more involved and heard about JonnyWang33, promoting the Cathedral philosophy. I liked it and agreed with it. We are a community, we're on board together. I switched my view and my expectations. This is not me being nice, helping strangers I didn't know. This is me ranking up in the community I was in. I used to do my part as a user, I'll now do my part as a modder. We'll make mods together, I'll show the way with my ideas and Skyrim will be great soon.

Why my mods are different
I played Dark Souls, tried mimicking it, implemented its experience and death system. I realised what I consider is still the issue with modders. It's why contrary to popular belief with mods not only you can't make Skyrim "any game you want", you can't make it any other game at all, you can't make anything else than a slightly improved Skyrim. The issue is, we're playing around the crap instead of removing it.Everything is linked, everything needs to be redone. I made "Dark Souls - Experience" and gold would now matter. You gain gold too easily and there's no way to lose it. "Dark Souls - Death" solves it by removing gold on death and the need of constant quicksaves. It was useless because the combat was so unfair you'd always die without it ever being your fault and it'd be frustrating.I translated RDO by myself (yes, thousands of lines) because the issue must have been the lack of immersion. No, it was the crap gameplay all along.

**Skyrim is poop. Vanilla+ is enhanced poop. Piling on features is chantilly on top of poop. Combine both : enhanced poop with a chantilly hat. Enough. Let's remove the poop and only have the chantilly.**If there's only one thing that I'd like to be remembered from me, it is this philosophy.

Actually not everything in Skyrim is poop. The gameplay is poop, not the atmosphere. That's why the Cathedral's mods are great. They enhance what's already fine to have something excellent, and they don't pile up. They take the suggary cream and make chantilly with it. On the other end of the spectrum you have NordWard UA's mods. They switch whats fine with something excellent. They remove the suggary cream and give you a sorbet. But these are aesthetic mods, not gameplay mods.

I started with the combat. I identified the issue : the ice skating combat, and thus SkySA was started. With the time it grew and is now, what I consider the best combat mod. It's not a full combat overhaul, it doesn't do enough on its own. It gives you the bare minimum base. The absolute requirement you'll find in any game with a good combat system, and it was made to be built on

What happened
I need to advise. There may be some innacuracies due to me not remembering the timing exactly, so I'll write it in a way to have a story telling, but the substance and consequences are exact, I just don't remember what happened after what

My mods were centered around collaborative work. I've always stated it. I'll show the way, and if you understand what's possible you'll follow along and we'll do great things. The first release gathered a moderate attention and no contributions. I get it, it's on me. This is perfectly fine. I'll release a few other mods around it, no contributions, that's fine. I'll work more. I didn't do it well enough, I need to interest them more.

Comes the weapon mastery module. A popular feature. For the first time, your animations will change with your skill. Positive feedback, no contribution.

Ok that's on me. I'll push more. We're together. Yet, everybody seems to know what's wrong and sending constructive criticism and requests. Cool ok, but that's not what I wanted, asked and claimed. I said I wanted help and contributions. So from now on, requests are banned.

I then release the Animated Armoury module. For the first time too, animations per weapon type, and it also supports the Animated Armoury weapon types. Moderately low feedback, no contributions.

At this point I'm really starting to doubt. Are we together, or is it just me doing things for others all other again ? These are two popular features that were exclusive to SkySA. No other mod did that (and afaik, still no other mod adds the progression)

I take it upon myself. I need to push more. More exclusive features. Better animations. Better gameplay. They'll get interested, we'll do it, together.

I update SkySA. It now becomes the first mod with a 3 attacks combo. This is crazy. I would have begged, when I played to have this. A mod that removes the ice skating and has so many exclusive features, while having 0 performance impact and being extra compatible. If I can't get you interested with that, what will ?

My view shifted. We're definetely not a community. I was blind all along. I do the work, the users profit. But then, if that's all they do, why would I have to support being judged. Why ? I am the nice guy here, again. I don't care about the criticism being constructive, I don't want to improve and make it better I don't care. You just want me to do more free work that I don't plan to do. If it annoyed me in the first place it would have been fixed already. I am the one providing the benefits. And on top of that they want to complain ? F*ck no.

I am pissed. Hundred of hours of work and noone seems willing to help. I'm generous and all they do is complain. From now on criticism is banned. I get it I won't get the help, but if you do nothing but download, the least you can do then is "shut up and profit" when prompted to. I don't care about your positive or negative feedback. I wanted help. For months, I worked, hundred of hours, did everything possible, went beyond what any other modder did and noone, not one single soul did anything other than praising, or asking for more stuff. I don't care about it, I said it, it was in the pinned comment.

Geez...maybe...just maybe...if I had unique animations for unique weapons to get one last exclusive feature. Maybe that'll be the trigger and I'll get help from there.

Same result. In fact, I realised, I didn't really care about the help. I know myself, I don't mind doing the work for somebody else because I like that person, or feel this is the best for the group. What I wanted was the community I thought existed and I was involved in more than 99% of you. I am not in the group, and you annoy me. Why did I keep going then ? Becauses of the thought that this community may exist at some point, maybe.

Why I got aggressive
I am incredibly annoyed everytime someone says to me "Uh, if you weren't aggressive people wouldn't react this way". No. No, no, no and no. This is sad and this goes against all my beliefs and what I stand for, but you don't care when we're nice to you. I set rules and they kept getting violated. Everytime I'd open my comment sections or youtube channel I'd be instantly pissed without even seeing the content. It is not about the trolls. The trolls are d*mb. They get banned, I move along I don't care. This is months of me trying to be nice and removing progressively as slow as possible, because I am way too nice, the different liberties because you can't behave.

You need aggressiveness and drastic measures. If I am rude to those not respecting the rules, it works. But not enough. So I needed to completely ban them from seeing my mods. And then, suddenly, almost all the violations disappear. Almost.

This is because I kept the right to make suggestions. The difference between suggestions and requests (as stated in the pinned comment), is that when you suggest you don't ask me to do it. You tell me it would be cool to do something, I tell you if it's doable and we do it together. If your idea is really great I may even do it myself so it's faster. I had faith, big mistake. Every single suggestion was a hidden request.

"Oh yeah it'd be cool to have flying cars that would play football-Hmm, that'd be hard to make and I don't think it's a good thing, but I'm here to help. Here's how we can make it-Yeah haha. I'm not a modder but it'd be cool if someone could do it. Someone, not you. Even if I say it to you on the comment section of your mod"

Do you think that I'm d*mb and I wouldn't see your pathetic attempt at violating the rules ? You know what annoyed me more than anything ?It came from normal users, the 90%, the mass. You only profit and on top you're trying to trick me. Suggestions are forbidden since you can't behave. It will be limited to tech support. The last comment on the SkySA modpage made me snap. So even when advised and warned of risking a full ban you still violate the rules, and I was nice enough not to apply the punishment. Comments are now locked. You can't communicate with me anymore unless you're a modder. Modders contribute, they do their part. I'm part of their group.

It worked
And it indeed worked. After the vacations, UCBO, a groundbreaking mod has been released. SkySA has seen three major updates, bringing progression to more weapons and adding telegraphed attacks (not an exclusive feature, Immersive Impact did it before, but SkySA does it differently in a really interesting way. It allows the telegraphed attack to be customized by the user and the dodge window can depend on the skill of the attacker. On top of it, it could be extended to creatures).

We're not a community, but I'll release great mods when you "profit and shut up".

The subreddit
I can and will continue to enforce my rules on the Nexus. The subreddit is the last place where I'll interact with the users. They decide of how I view the community. They're more reasonnable than on the Nexus users, they keep telling that on the Nexus people act like customers because they're immature kids and you should be grateful to the modders. They'll understand the compromise : "I agree to work for free for you and keep doing great things, but you must profit and shut up". I will stick there anyway because this is where I recruit new modders. I also provide tech support and help struggling modders/users there out of my pure kindness. I made a post to announce a SkySA update while claiming I'd rather not be criticized at the end.

Absolutely not. You fought it harder than on the Nexus. Having access to the mods is not enough. You want on top to complain. I know it's Reddit, but if you're incapable of compromising, like for the Nexus, I'll take the actions I deem necessary. Not only that, you say this is my fault and me being a pr*ck while I did absolutely everything not to get there. At this point, I considered to stop publishing updates and new mods.

My last post was a very informative post that I recommend you read as you surely missed it since it got downvoted. Don't care about the downvotes, you don't agree you don't agree that's fine by me. Downvote my opinion, for all I care. The reason why I am writing these lines is because I made a comment on Khonraad's post. Khonraad is making HEMA animations that couldn't be used before, but they finally can be implemented thanks to the next SkySA update. I worked with other animators, I'll provide the framework and they'll be able to do the animations they want for the weapon they want without being limited by the Skyrim ice skating.This is a first. GomaPudding, BlueLionHouse ^(who should make a moveset for the said update) and myself did it before in a more limited way. Mine was the most extended with up to 10 attack combos and 20 power attack combinations, UCBO. SkySA will extend it to all weapon types. This is not possible through DAR ok, the Combo Framework or Random animations can't do that. This is next level.

This comment stated that all the animations ever made will be compatible with the next SkySA update (Orakin ^(who should make a moveset for the said next update), Mofu, vanilla, every animation) but there was some dirty work to do. It could be done by anybody, would take between 30 min and 3 hours, that I wouldn't bother the animators with it and my time would be better spent. Also, if nobody wanted to do it, it would just not be there. It got downvoted. At first I laughed, but then I realised. I don't care if you downvote my opinion. I don't know how many negative karma comments I have, I don't care. This here, is not an opinion.

This is me offering to take of my personal time to teach someone how to make a feature that I (yes I, personally) wouldn't benefit from. This is a nice move on my end. Here's what I understand : even if it will benefit everybody you won't work for it. You expect me to do it. Hear me well, I could, I won't dedicate time to it. In other words : "Don't ask us to do it, you are the one that should do it. You work for us".

I was not angry. My life is really good right now, I am really happy. I saw it, with a really cold and factual eye. This is a customer mentality. The customer mentality that's always attributed to the Nexus. That's why I'm writing and here's what'll happen.

You have the choice
Since the realisation we're not a community, I had 0 reasons to keep publishing. 0. But I kept doing it because I am generous. This is the only reason. From update 1.6, SkySA does everything I want, I don't need the rest, this is just bonus. It's not essential to me. The comment being downvoted is the straw that broke the camel's back. I consider the indecency goes beyond my kindness at this point. Before that I thought about stopping publishing, I now consider removing all my mods. I want to make it clear, and not waste more of my and your time.

The SkySA update will be published because I am tied to other authors, and the Ambrosia quest will be done (if you're not aware, the project has been cancelled due to the personnal situation of Ambrosia degrading but there's no way I'm giving up on it).

So here are the possible scenarios. I'll post comments, you'll upvote the one you want. Please don't answer to them, if you want to tell something post comments directly. Your choice will be the most upvoted comment. If the post get downvoted, and/or the comments giving the options get downvoted, I'll consider you choose the "Removal" option. If it gets totally ignored I'll consider you choose the "Refusal" option. For any of these options, I'll stick in the Subreddit because as stated, this is where I recruit new modders. Modders will still be able to ask for help

Community
You start helping me. You personnaly, or others. I finish SkySA, you make the mods you want. I make SkySA for creatures and then we can start fixing the rest of the crap. I keep publishing tutorials, reopen the comment sections and you get all your privileges back including requests (doesn't mean it'll be done). Critique as you wish, don't care, we're together. I'll start listening to criticism again. I'll also release the mods I have in reserve and not uploadedIf you choose the community option but I don't get the help I'll move on either to the "Shut up and profit", "Refusal" or "Removal" option

Shut up and profit
The simplest. You agree to comply give me total peace. You don't help me. You can ask questions and help to make/modify mods. Post positive comments on the subreddit if you want, I'll answer politely but tbh I don't really care. No tech support or comment section on the Nexus. Modders can still interact normally through Nexus DMs and their tech support and on and on. Violations result in instant ban. I'll put a disclaimer at the end of my post. If you don't agree with my opinions you downvote my posts or comments, you shake your head, you answer me...If it's about my mods, you're asked to keep it for yourself. This is the current situation. Every violation will bring me closer to the "Refusal" or "Removal" option

Refusal
You want to keep criticizing. Fine, you made your choice. I'll stop publishing and we'll part ways. I won't stop modding. My mods will be privately released from now on and you won't benefit of them. I'll stick in the subreddit to recruit other authors. Maybe I'll post modding tutorials, but no quality of life, guides or game improvement tutorials

Removal
You start fighting or annoying me in the comments or you downvote the post. I remove all my mods, to leave only SkySA and the tutorials

A message for the posterity
I have nothing special. I don't have a particular set of skills but I went beyond what 99% of mods will do. Yet, I always say that the sole difference between any user and me is that I took the matter in my own hands. Anyone could have done it. Anyone. I happened to be this individual.The game could be overhauled in depth without me, but it doesn't seem like it will for the reasons mentionned at the beginning of the text. Maybe I'll overhaul it by myself. Depending on your choice, you may not see it. The greatest mods don't necessarily require a huge amount of skill or efforts. We just need somebody to do them

Edit : hehe, you don't make it easy. The "shut up and profit" won, but seeing the comment section, it tends towards the removal. Yet, in the meantime, it's obvious I won't get the peace I require. Hmmmm...so I have to make a choice in either I get what I want or the users gets what they want

Mods will stay hidden for the moment. It's a fragile equilibrium with a decision that can change. I don't how it'll turn out

Edit 2 : final decision
This post was intended as an agreement. You make your decision and I respect it. You voted "shut up and profit", that's the easiest and most reasonnable compromise. "Community" is risky because if I didn't get the promised help I may have removed everything, you'd actually have had to act (well, some of you) to keep the privileges . "Refusal" was irrealistic, it's litteraly shut up and profit but you lose the updates and new mods.
For "shut up and profit" you have absolutely nothing to do. I do the work you profit and you don't talk to me. Period. Simple, and unbalanced in favor of the user since they get what they want but I don't.

Yet. There are already so many violations of the agreement, the final decision can only be "removal", regardless of what the votes would have been. This was imo the d*mbest option. You have to make extra efforts to answer to somebody that you won't affect in any way (except make him chuckle) and will answer with laughing emojis; and on top of that you lose everything. It's also greedy, because even if you don't care about my mods, you're punishing the others that are reasonnable or are simply not aware of the post.
You upvoted violations, downvoted my answers, violations have more upvotes than the actual vote comments; I consider you made up your mind and choose removal. I'm not angry or disappointed, nothing will really change for me, I'd still make mods but you won't profit of them, I gave you one last chance to be reasonnable but you didn't. Well, whatever, not my problem ^^

And of course, it's not my fault, it's yours (as a group, not you personnally, if you were reasonnable it's too bad, but the majority wasn't). You had the choice. You decided. I've promessed to stay true to my words, you didn't. You can try to blame me of course, but well, you'd have laughing emojis for an answer. Whatever, I'm only applying what you decided ^^

ADL

Prophet
By the by, does anyone think a single one of these tantrum chucking nerds will do something productive with the nexodus?

Nexus is shit if you arent paying them money - this is a perfect opportunity for someone to lead the way on a competitor to the nexus. Some enterprising fellow who thinks hes all about "community" could even write a program that downloads nexus mods to google drive and then list these links on his website.
http://mod.io exists but it seems like no matter how much Nexus fucks up, certain communities refuse to use anything else.

deama

Prophet
11e4uV8.png

I thought nexus stopped this? Did they revert it or was this deleted before the new nexus rules?

Codex Year of the Donut
the Content will not or could not be reasonably considered to be obscene, inappropriate, defamatory, disparaging, indecent, seditious, offensive, pornographic, threatening, abusive, liable to incite racial hatred, discriminatory, blasphemous, encourage gambling, in breach of confidence or in breach of privacy;
like 99% of moddb is in violation of this

ADL

Prophet
we have also made the difficult decision to remove the Lifetime Premium Membership (membership that never expires) as a purchasing option.

:keepmyjewgold:

And lifetime premium membership costs 50 pounds currently, which means with new pricing that'll only net you 10 months.
FOMO made me buy it and holy shit I never realized how fucking awful it is to be a free user on Nexus until now. Modding my Morrowind install used to take 6-8 hours. Took less than a half hour with premium.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
i completely and utterly agree with everyone in this thread decrying such an horrendous attack on modder rights

after all, where would be if a writer couldn't recall every copy of every book he ever wrote in an instant? no one would publish books anymore, surely

modder hating mod lover

this honestly describes me with stunning accuracy

Last edited:

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
One of the worst ones I remember, I think it was FNV mod. I was reading the comments because it hadn't been updated in years. One of the comments said that the mod author promised that if he didn't update the mod in more than a year, that someone can ask him for the background code or whatever, and he would give it up willingly.

Well, someone in the comments started up the decree or whatever, and the mod author says no! He says that he is going to come back to it soon even though he admittedly hadn't even touched it. What an absolute asshole.

Codex Year of the Donut
Den of thieves.

qXdnEeS.png
Mod DB Terms of Use said:
By posting Content to the Service, you grant us a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free license to use, copy, reproduce, process, adapt, modify, publish, transmit, display and distribute such Content in any and all media or distribution methods (now known or later developed). This license authorizes us to make your Content available worldwide. You agree that this license includes the right for DBolical Pty Ltd to provide, promote, and improve the Services and to make Content submitted to or through the Service available to other companies, organizations or individuals for the syndication, broadcast, distribution, promotion or publication of such Content on other media and services, subject to our terms and conditions for such Content use.

racofer

Thread Incliner
https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-new...eir-mods-to-protest-nexus-mods-change-2990283
‘Fallout 4’ modders are deleting their mods to protest Nexus Mods change
Modders are leaving the Commonwealth in droves

By Andy Brown
11th July 2021

UIYkpPB.jpg

After a change to Nexus Mods which means modders will soon be unable to delete their own mods, Fallout 4 modders are using the one-month grace period to pull their content from the site.

On July 1, Nexus Mods announced that modders using the site to host their content would soon be unable to delete their own work. Instead, removed mods would be stored in an archive and would only be deleted if “directly requested e.g. via the API.”

Nexus Mods has stated that from now until August 5, modders who want their content gone can request their files be deleted by getting in touch.

Unfortunately for the site, many Fallout 4 modders are taking them up on this offer. As tracked by this document, almost 30 modders – many of which are responsible for multiple mods each – have already pulled their content from Nexus Mods.

n6fdcPy.jpg

Fallout 4: Commonwealth Responders. Credit: Nexus Mods
The document notes that “Things seem to have slowed down in terms of mods being removed and hidden on Nexus” but the list has already accrued plenty of removed mods.

While some are looking to rehost their mods on other sites, some have no plans to make their content available again. Some mods pulled from the site include Diamond City Expansion, Working Kitchen Appliances, ENB Lights Overhaul and Flora FX Overhaul.

The controversial changes are meant to make a “Collections” feature work smoothly, as deleting a mod included in these collections could break the load order for the whole thing.

Many modders are unhappy with the change, with one user stating that although they don’t mind the Collections feature, “It’s the yanking away of my free agency of being able to delete my own content” that they protest.

Nexus Mods has updated the community on July 5, stating that “Much of the feedback we have been and are receiving is actively informing our design process for new features/improvements on the site.”

Here is an ongoing list of mods already deleted: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Im5Mg-l2btRsYVOjaJa0slrjDcXNvi41J5pHw_Zuwqw/edit

Some Skyrim mods have also already vanished, but there's no list so far.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Meh, click bait youtubers, bunch of small mods. Only relevant one is the Capital Wasteland mod but dunno why someone would wish to play Fallout 3 on Fallout 4.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's a culling. Real modders that just want other people to experience their creations don't care.

Codex Year of the Donut
The longer you wait to cut the cancer out, the worse it will be. This was an expected reaction.

Noticing a trend that most modders throwing a fit are coomers btw.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Literally nothing on that list is a loss.
Half these mods are just garbage that already exists in better stuff.

Example, one mod is to scrap the Gas station arms in Red Rocket.. but there's already a scrap anything mod that's half the size and does all that and more.
I love the random like "So and So is now hosting on CURSED MODS site" - They are so fucking desperate at this point and a good 1/4th of that list is now "BACK ON NEXUS".. Lmfao. :lol: #TemperTantrum #WaitILostAccessToModderForum??

It's a culling. Real modders that just want other people to experience their creations don't care.

The longer you wait to cut the cancer out, the worse it will be. This was an expected reaction.

Noticing a trend that most modders throwing a fit are coomers btw.

I echo that this culling was a long time coming. But honestly.. I expected a bigger fallout than this.. A ton of the more notorious drama-freaks have basically remained silent and did nothing in reaction. If the best mods we lose are "Scrap the gas pumps!!11oneone" I see this doubling as spring cleaning.

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Meh, click bait youtubers, bunch of small mods. Only relevant one is the Capital Wasteland mod but dunno why someone would wish to play Fallout 3 on Fallout 4.

What a garbage youtube channel. He has a clear conflict of interest in that his revenue directly correlates to new mods being created and even receiving news / interviews around said mods - so of course he's going to suck up to them.

After his Cyberpunk shilling then complete 180 the minute he got called out. Just another youtube leach.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom