Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

flyingjohn

Arcane
Continuing my collection with the fm-7:
https://mega.nz/file/1HQ2xLQY#SFFBP0Q8TonszRLWKyMpMof5Cknr3O2JqvYl2L4ST_0

What does this pack include:
-xm and fm7 emu.No retroarch options available.No english language.You can find a older xm7 in english in one of my
posts in this thread.Xm7 is preffered and fm-7 is to be used if the game runs too fast.

-Fm-7 firmware/os.
-Various notes.

-Txt Faq's from gamefaq.
-Rpg/strategy games with simulation games about managagment.Also included are action/adventure games with rpg
elements.

BONUS TIME:
FM-Towns.
I will not be including any games because the combined size is over 30 gb's.This link will only inlcude emu and stuff
needed to run said emu.
First comes the emu stuff:
https://mega.nz/file/dSQS2JrC#ue6gLRuQtnGm3iwWOgHUnh9vlZJcOTpHbybImqWybo8
-Two emus included.Unz and tsugaru.
Personally prefer tsugaru while unz has more compatibility.
-Faq
-Some notes
Second comes the os collection:
https://mega.nz/file/obYkSLST#e1YFe8TPxr-nOxD2GO3kM02x1yJ6RHicCHGMRdopKro
Dos only.

Next is the sharp x1 and the sharpx86000 if the size is small enough.

spekkio

Arcane
BROs, finished Majin And The Forsaken Kingdom (U).

Got like two crashes in over 14 hours. :salute:

Game works great at 200% resolution scale (internal res x2) & VBlank Frequency = 120 Hz (runs @ 60 FPS). The only problem are boss battles. You have to go back to VBlank Freq. = 60 Hz for them, or the game will de-sync and hang during post-battle cinematic (the "black-goo coming off" effect).

So, first PS3 game completed on Rpcs3, looking up for more. And since both PS1 and PS2 had like 200 interesting titles each, PS3 surely can't be worse, right?

A0B54Cz.png

Right?

:cry:

(that's my entire PS3 "to play" collection)

Last edited:

flyingjohn

Arcane
Continuing my collection with the sharp x1:
https://mega.nz/file/dKAniQLb#qsQhm01dHj7rL01VX7K0r2T92cMOpFCfX7_BRMG1gMU

-EVERY EMULATOR!!!
Use ex1-variations to play games.Also included the entire history of x millenium forks for historical value.
Retorach xmillenium fork with firmware.VERY OUTDATED CORE!

-sharpx1 firmware/os.
-Various notes.

-Txt Faq's from gamefaq.
-Rpg/strategy games with simulation games about managagment.Also included are action/adventure games with rpg elements.

BONUS TIME:
Sharpx86000.
https://mega.nz/file/9WYXRSyK#KgDYPX444nGo0HOVCXa9oHRx5_QyK8II-ly5qy3cyJU
-Two emus included.Xm6 pro and typeg.Use typeg.
Also included various older forks of these emulators
Retroarch px68k core with firmware.Very good core.

-Faq
-Some notes

-Rpg/strategy games with simulation games about managagment.Also included are action/adventure games with rpg
elements.
-Included translation patches found on romhacking(would be grateful if anybody knows a better place for translation
patches for jap computer games)

Next are the msx variations.

spekkio

Arcane
^
I can't stand "mindless" combat recently, so brawlers (Dragon Crown, Drakengard) and 95% of jrpgs are a no. I mean what's the point of playing n-th FF clone with ATB system, trash mobs and random encounters, when you can (re)play something like BoF5 or n-th Fire Emblem. Same with the brawlers, when there are games with actually fun and "tactical" combat (Majin, PoP).

#old

Last edited:

flyingjohn

Arcane
^
I can't stand "mindless" combat recently, so brawlers (Dragon Crown, Drakengard) and 95% of jrpgs are a no. I mean what's the point of playing n-th FF clone with ATB system, trash mobs and random encounters, when you can (re)play something like BoF5 or n-th Fire Emblem. Same with the brawlers, when there are games with actually fun and "tactical" combat (Majin, PoP).

#old
Well then let me recommend shit.
3 dot game heroes is a zelda clone if you like that,no jrpg shit.
Dragon quest builders is somewhat interesting for a jrpg(minecraft meets dragon quest)
There is always super robot taisen(although it is piss easy).Fire emblem with gundams.
The only other thing worth looking into are the random drpg's and earlier disgaea titles. But i have a feeling disgaea is not to your tastes.

spekkio

Arcane
Gave up on Disgaea 1 after about 1-2 hours. Formula executed totally wrong a.k.a. Japtactical for autists. But recently my "skip" to "play to completion" ratio is like 10:1 if not more, so there's that.
  • shitty, convoluted UI - pass,
  • unskipabble FMVs - pass,
  • more than 3 critical, yet easily avoidable with an iota of skill design flaws - hard pass,
  • digital chicks without decent T&A - total pass.
And so on...

:rpgcodex:

Last edited:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I may have mentioned this before, but, include multiple machines. You'll understand what I mean when you start looking stuff up, but the gist is, while the system has multiple straight upgrades, some games don't necessarily work better on later machines. I know at least one game, if you have a floppy disk drive, will not start unless you hold down the CTRL key. At that point, I found it easier to just have one machine that runs without a floppy drive. Might not even affect any games you put into the compilation, but some games are tricky, to say the least.

flyingjohn

Arcane
I may have mentioned this before, but, include multiple machines. You'll understand what I mean when you start looking stuff up, but the gist is, while the system has multiple straight upgrades, some games don't necessarily work better on later machines. I know at least one game, if you have a floppy disk drive, will not start unless you hold down the CTRL key. At that point, I found it easier to just have one machine that runs without a floppy drive. Might not even affect any games you put into the compilation, but some games are tricky, to say the least.
I am gonna include very single machine bios that is available so you can pick your poison.
Probably gonna hand pick the most known variations.

tet666

Augur
Yuzu updates are really great, but they really need to add the internal resolution upscaling option as soon as possible. I don't want to play games on (sub) 720p.

This and nvdec (pre-recorded video files) + audio emulation are my biggest gripes with yuzu and why i have not really played games on it so far, most games i'm interested in like FE3H have tons of anime cutscenes and they look like complete shit with stuttery and asynchronous audio.
Ryujinx on the other hand has great nvdec and audio emulation and a resolution scaler but performance is often way worse and it also has terrible annoying shader stutters which makes actually playing games just not a very fun experience it really needs a vulkan backend and async shader compilation.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Continuing my collection with the msx/2/2+/turbo:
https://mega.nz/file/9PBmmRwA#SEjziLZds4DvPaWFz7-Hz-VhwnIF2TFL_3wBuybsqHw

Open and blue msx emu.Open msx is more recent.
Retroarch bluemsx with firmware.(incomplete)
-msx firmware.Included all machines possible.
*NOTES:
-BLUEMSX WEBSITE RIP OF MACHINES(THIS IS NOT INCLUDED IN STANDARD EMU DONWLOAD)
-OPENMSX SYSTEMROMS
-TOSEC FIRMWARE(VARIOUS STUFF MIXED IN IT)
USE WHATEVER YOU WANT,DON'T JUST COPY PASTE,TOO MUCH MACHINES.
INCLUDED A SMALL LIST OF MOST POPULAR HARDWARE.*

-Anything mentioning dos/windows in the os/utilities files.
Have no idea if it is necessary but ain't gonna risk it.
-Various notes.

-Txt Faq's from gamefaq.
-Rpg/strategy games with simulation games about management. Also included are action/adventure games with rpg elements.
-Translation and romhacks.

Next are the nec-pc variations.

Last edited:

flyingjohn

Arcane
Finishing my collection with the nec pc 88/va:
https://mega.nz/file/MXhGWZJA#qysj8NwF_OHPYZgZd0Vd4TldlykIalszzv8YCMoBGoo

-Various emulators.Xm8 and epc-88 are recomendded.
Included various other emulators and forks.
Retroarch quasi88 core with firmware.Outdated.

-pc 88 firmware/os.
-Various notes.

-Txt Faq's from gamefaq.
elements.
-Translation and romhacks.

BONUS:
Nec pc-98.
Obviously,this pack will include only emu stuff considering the size of the library.
https://mega.nz/file/cKxWDZ4Q#-n0Zj-QVlAtby0GYZdHavEg3EEYVXDBq3WDYisYFbLA
Retroarch version of neko project II/kai with firmware:
https://mega.nz/file/4ep0VJxI#AvK-FPRWcESUcunWxTdivCuAhTBf44HF2R-wFyrbU8A

-Included neko project II,neko project 21 with forks ,anex86 and epc98.Use neko project 21.
-Pc98 firmware/os.Various disk conversion tools and freedos stuff.
-Translation and romhacks from romhacking.
-Txt Faq's from gamefaq.

For a bonus i am including the combined japanese emu collection project some guy is updating frequently:
https://mega.nz/file/ATwg0KSa#NRtnc0dduNFODA3c7r5tdIvAbg-Ul8td_FPim8ofqLY

And that is it for my collection.Hope you enjoyed this little trip down memory lane.

Last edited:

flyingjohn

Arcane
Anybody here collected shining force central romhacks?
So much dead or non functioning links.

flyingjohn

Arcane
So,what is the big deal with chd and waw/other audio formats?
I just converted my sega cd library which had everything from mp3 to waw and everything works fine in genesis plus/picodrive.
Why are people giving so much warning about not using chd tools to just convert these files?
The game boots and audio works,don't see the issue.

Puukko

Arcane
God damn, RDR is something else.

Desktop-Screenshot-2021-08-06-22-31-58-24.jpg

Now I know if I really wanted to play this and have the smoothest experience then playing it on Xenia at native res would be the way to go, but I'm not in that much of a hurry. At that point I'd just dust off my ol PS3 and play my actual copy. I just didn't expect it to be this brutal still.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
After the PS3 gen, will future emulators bother to do anything with PS4/5 and the XBOX equivalent? The current gen barely has any game worth checking that is not on Switch and/or PC already.

deuxhero

Arcane
After the PS3 gen, will future emulators bother to do anything with PS4/5 and the XBOX equivalent? The current gen barely has any game worth checking that is not on Switch and/or PC already.

PS4 has Gravity Rush 2, and the playable version of Gundam Breaker 3 (Vita one can't keep an acceptable framerate), Dragon's Crown Pro (surprised it hasn't been ported), Nipponese version of 13 Sentinels (because the translated version is terrible), and maybe Toaru Majutsu no Virtual-On (If my experience with the PSP Gundam vs. is any indication, playing the portable version on a big screen sucks due to the camera and given its been delisted I don't see a PC port coming anytime soon) and maybe a few more 4/Vita only titles.
Xbone? Prob not.

flyingjohn

Arcane
I have officially joined the cult of retroarch because of one simple thing,chd support.
Shame bout how some cores are just not up to standalones(saturn beetle is the biggest culprit).
Fuck it,my obscure roommate terrorizing Saturn sim still works in kronos.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I have officially joined the cult of retroarch because of one simple thing,chd support.
Shame bout how some cores are just not up to standalones(saturn beetle is the biggest culprit).
Fuck it,my obscure roommate terrorizing Saturn sim still works in kronos.

Use Kronos for Saturn games in retroarch in general. It's far more developed and supported.

spekkio

Arcane
Here's something cool: I booted up SMT Nocturne Chronicle Hardtype - that is, a promotional version that never got released in the west, using a fan translation patch, the hardtype difficulty mod and a fan patch to enable that mod to run on this version of the game. This is very likely the most obscure version of the game to date. All that, and it can still load my old saves for the base Maniax version, with Raidou replacing Dante in my party, should I wish to for some reason.
Yup, to my great surprise, the translation for the Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne Maniax - Chronicles Edition (J) (SLPM-66681) actually converts the game to the (U) version (SLUS-20911). The CRC of the .exe is OFC different (0xB7479F4C), but old saves, and - most importantly - all (?) memory codes work just fine.

So, create a B7479F4C.pnach cheat file, with following lines inside:

Code:
// Progressive Scan Mode patch for SMT3 by Altimor

// NOP out old interlaced field switch
patch=1,EE,002AA1B4,word,00000000

// Another field switch here that needs to be NOP'd to prevent
// post processing effects from getting misaligned when entering
// and leaving menus.
patch=1,EE,002ADBE0,word,00000000

// Patch sceGsResetGraph arguments to set 480p
patch=1,EE,002C81D4,word,24110000 // addiu $s1, 0, 0x00
patch=1,EE,002C81D8,word,24120050 // addiu $s2, 0, 0x50
patch=1,EE,002C81DC,word,24020001 // addiu $s3, 0, 0x01

// Motion & Radial Blur codes by sergx12
patch=1,EE,202FC0E4,word,00000000 // 00000001 motion blur off
/patch=1,EE,202FC0E8,word,00000000 // 00000001 radial blur off (not recommended, because it also affects color correction same as aggressive crc hack)

And voila: progressive mode (no shaking) + no motion blur:

yfOGDhB.jpg

My saves from regular (U) edition work, only difference is Raidou replacing Dante:

n7gkoNh.jpg

:fabulous:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom