Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

games you have installed on steam RIGHT NOW (no cheating)

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hey, what if I want to play Baldur's Gate 2 again later this year? I mean, it needs to be on here! Just in case!
:whatho:
You get the internet, like, once a year or something? But on a more serious note, I agree with rusty: if the connection is great you don't need anything being installed, at all. My own screen just non-cheating one, forgot to uninstall them all except for Colony Ship with its updates (as an indicator to check logs etc) and Atom TG which I need access to due to my help in making a guide. On the other hand, if the connection is shit then you basically have no choice but to install every game you might wanna play at any time.

No I get this. Just consider it my personal form of brain worms. I think it comes from being old and used to things being on disk and (much later) on dial up, etc.

janior

Arcane
Vatnik
why people have more than couple of games installed at one time? nobody plays 50+ games at the same time and downloding a new game from steam usually takes minutes nowdays, so what's the point of this hoarding guys?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
why people have more than couple of games installed at one time? nobody plays 50+ games at the same time and downloding a new game from steam usually takes minutes nowdays, so what's the point of this hoarding guys?
I've started most of my installed games. I have a lot of free space even if I have all of that installed. It's not even close to 10% of the games that I own that are installed. Be it Steam, or other games I own. It's a non-issue. Having only one game installed works, too. Whatever floats ones boat.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Any game that can be downloaded in minutes takes up so little SSD space that it's not worth uninstalling. I want the option to hop into Thief or Icewind Dale or DOOM whenever the mood strikes me.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

Yes, this digital hoarding is a sickness but what can you do? There is no cure. (I don't dare show my Launchbox library because then I wouldn't be able to throw stones anymore)

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hey, what if I want to play Baldur's Gate 2 again later this year? I mean, it needs to be on here! Just in case!
:whatho:
You get the internet, like, once a year or something? But on a more serious note, I agree with rusty: if the connection is great you don't need anything being installed, at all. My own screen just non-cheating one, forgot to uninstall them all except for Colony Ship with its updates (as an indicator to check logs etc) and Atom TG which I need access to due to my help in making a guide. On the other hand, if the connection is shit then you basically have no choice but to install every game you might wanna play at any time.

No I get this. Just consider it my personal form of brain worms. I think it comes from being old and used to things being on disk and (much later) on dial up, etc.

Same. I got so many installed games because I prefer having them on disk. Also, I only uninstall games once I finish them or when I really need some space.

I still got Far Cry 5 installed despite finishing it some time ago, because I wanna play through the DLCs before uninstalling. But I took a break from the game now, so it's gonna sit on my disk for a couple of months. Uninstalling would gain me 50 gigabytes, but the disk is a 1TB SSD and still has over 130 GB left, so it's not like I need the space right now.

Some games stay installed forever and never get uninstalled, even if I take a years-long break: Thief 2, Civilization 4, Rome and Medieval 2 Total War, Quake, etc. Those tend to be games I play with mods, so I keep them installed in case a new mod comes out that I want to play with it. They're also older games that don't take up a lot of space, so whatever.

Uninstalling a game and then reinstalling it a month later sounds like a dumb idea to me. I'd rather keep it installed all the time until I'm finished with it. Especially with modded games, where reinstalling would also mean installing all my mods again. And I'd have to make sure to backup my saves. Why go through all that trouble when I can just leave the game installed?

My internet connection is decent enough. I can download with 5-6 MB/s, which isn't super fast but acceptable. Still takes me a couple of hours for bigger games (AAAs with 40+ gigs). When it comes to smaller indies that only take a minute or two, with 1GB or less... why uninstall them if they take up that little space, unless I'm definitely finished with them or absolutely need more space? Why go through the trouble of uninstall/reinstall when I can just leave it on my disk until I feel like playing it again?

That's how I end up with hundreds of installed games, and I don't see anything wrong about it.

Sarathiour

Cipher
czvUic6.png

I don't really use steam, and my hdd died recently, so it's obviously pretty restrained.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom