Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Wunderbar

Arcane
Is "idea of Evil" even canon? Those chapters were removed by Miura.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Maybe he decided to retcon those chapters because came up with a better idea for a greater-scope villain.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Maybe he decided to retcon those chapters because came up with a better idea for a greater-scope villain.

Anything's possible, but it seems unlikely given later developments in the story. The existence of the Idea of Evil is still suggested in later conversations, but in very opaque and abstract terms, and it's basically consistent with how the Astral World is described (similar to the Warp in Warhammer universes, the idea of Evil is basically a Chaos God born out of the collective wish that a seemingly indifferent universe should provide human life with meaning and purpose, as opposed to Guts' conviction that humans should create their own meaning and purpose).

Miura's main stated regret was that he enlisted the idea of evil as a speaking character that exposited and explained all of the mysteries of the setting.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Ok, maybe i found the problem. Xbox one controller. Going to borrow a wired controller from a friend and see what happens.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Hahaha, i'm fucking retarded. I didn't plug in the antennas in my motherboard thinking that was only for the wi-fi, which i'm not using, but apparently it's also needed for bluetooth to work properly.

Back to the high res textures and so far so good, hope that solved it.

Ivan

Arcane
Tried the Daughters of Ash mod and came away very satisfied. It does a nice job of playing around with the core progression of the game and aims to not only mix up the enemy encounters but most of the boss fights as well. I was itching to not just replay the game, so I'm glad I found out about this mod. The world of Lordran is still a joy to explore, but I felt the shortcomings more keenly now that I'm more experienced with these types of games.

strengths:
-it changes the behavior of enemies and placement of items so you can't progress as your brain would normally like to
-it renames the locations and presents you with clues to complete objectives to progress (e.g. you can't hitch a ride to Anor Londo just by reaching the top of Sen's Fortress)
-might be my imagination, but Artorias is nicely buffed and a pleasure to do battle with

weakness:
-adding prerequisites for advancing will include some backtracking, (BUT! the game introduces a new item that allows you to warp to many but not all bonfires
-IDK what the fuck happened, but I couldn't advance my Uchigatana past +10)
-the Gaping Dragon is awfully buffed and boring to fight

Reminiscing:
Everybody knows that the quality of DS1 is masterful from The Undead Asylum through Anor Londo. It's after that all of the maps are plagued by a shit-ton of boring traversal with little level design to make them memorable. Sen's Fortress, Izalith, even the garden area of Oolacie felt pretty barren. That said, my only other gripe was the god awful platforming/slopes that result in insta-death. So happy they ironed this out in DS2.

TLDR: Daughters of Ash successfully offers a pleasantly refreshing way to re-play Dark Souls

Very happy with my experience and I look forward to trying out the other well-known mod that remixes things: Prepare To Die Again some time in the future. For now, I'm going to research if there are any such mods for Dark Souls 2, and kill some more time before the Cinders mod for Dark Souls 3 nears completion.

:4/5:

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Now even more actively discouraging you to get the "remaster": https://steamcommunity.com/games/211420/announcements/detail/3008952177464493481

Discount program termination

For the past two years, we have offered a 50% discount on Dark Souls: Remastered for everyone who owned a copy of the original Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition on Steam.

This message is to inform you that we are shuttering this discount program on September 30, 2021.

If you would like to take advantage of your discount before that final day, we invite you to do so.

Thank you,

The DARK SOULS Team

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I'm sure I'll get the remaster at a -90% discount some day. Not paying 50% of the game price for a 60 fps fix and broken multiplayer.

Latelistener

Arcane
It had a 90% discount though, the only reason why I got it. Back when the base discount was only 40%, the 50% discount of an owner of the original game summarized together making it 90%.

But when the base discount got below 40%, that was it.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm sure I'll get the remaster at a -90% discount some day. Not paying 50% of the game price for a 60 fps fix and broken multiplayer.
Dark Souls will never go on a discount. Bamco learned real fast that Dark Souls is amazing and that it should never be discounted.

The Steam mods made sure to pass that info up above, but not the fact that it is an absolutely terrible idea to remaster it, and not fix any of its issues.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Now even more actively discouraging you to get the "remaster": https://steamcommunity.com/games/211420/announcements/detail/3008952177464493481

Discount program termination

For the past two years, we have offered a 50% discount on Dark Souls: Remastered for everyone who owned a copy of the original Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition on Steam.

This message is to inform you that we are shuttering this discount program on September 30, 2021.

If you would like to take advantage of your discount before that final day, we invite you to do so.

Thank you,

The DARK SOULS Team
Doesn't this regularly go on sell anyway at a higher discount?

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
I'm finding the 2nd half of this game to be a huge slog, especially lost izalith. Good lord this area sucks balls. It feels like something a modder would make and the amount of running I have to do between deaths is just alt-f4 tier.

Someone convince me there is good stuff to come yet because I'm just feeling like skipping this crap and going to DS2.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
For Izalith, make sure you have found the bonfire inside one of the pillars. Then it's just the matter of learning the shit boss arm-waving patterns. There's only one decent fight in the whole area, and it's the single pyro girl in front of the boss. If you don't care about some specific items, forget about the level as soon as you can.

We don't know what you've already done. But e.g. the Tomb of Giants offers elite eintertainment for the truly sophisticated palate!

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
For Izalith, make sure you have found the bonfire inside one of the pillars. Then it's just the matter of learning the shit boss arm-waving patterns. There's only one decent fight in the whole area, and it's the single pyro girl in front of the boss. If you don't care about some specific items, forget about the level as soon as you can.

We don't know what you've already done. But e.g. the Tomb of Giants offers elite eintertainment for the truly sophisticated palate!

Oh ok, I only came there for the sunlight maggot because ToG was fucking unbearable using that gay lantern, so if there's nothing critical there I'll just fuck off.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I'm finding the 2nd half of this game to be a huge slog, especially lost izalith. Good lord this area sucks balls. It feels like something a modder would make and the amount of running I have to do between deaths is just alt-f4 tier.

Someone convince me there is good stuff to come yet because I'm just feeling like skipping this crap and going to DS2.
Lost Izalith is indeed really bad, but overall I think it gets overstated how 'horrible' DS is after getting the Lordvessel.

Maybe Tomb of Giants and Duke's Archives aren't endlessly replayable, but I always found them to be enjoyable enough. If you mix Ariamis, the DLC and climbing down to Ash Lake in the second half, it's not a slog at all - it just contains one ugly, unfinished and disappointing area.

Monkey Baron

Arbiter
Patron
I helped put crap in Monomyth

Hang in there! The DLC is awesome IMHO. If you haven't gone to the Duke's Archives yet, make sure you go to the Darkroot Garden first where the Hydra is.

You'll need to kill the hydra and then kill the golden golem that spawns after (I think you have to save and quit after killing the Hydra for it to appear) so you can talk to Dusk, then when you go to the Dukes archive, a golem that you probably won't miss will drop the broken pendant. Then when you go back to the area in Darkroot where the golem was you'll see something peculiar which if you investigate will kick off the DLC

Lost Izalith is the worst part of the game by far, I think everyone agrees that they ran out of time and just slapped a few things together. I like how dark Tomb of the Giants is but it's a really tough area. Not a big fan of the boss of that area. I prefer the other two areas, I hope you enjoy them more! :)

I don't know if you're aware but there are some optional areas that you probably missed if you weren't given the heads up by anyone. One of them has some really awesome level design. If you're feeling burnt out by the post-Lordvessel areas you should give them a try!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom