Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
If i want to strengthen buffs like bless would it be better to take empower or heighten metamagic skill? Empower specifically mention increasing bonuses, so i assume that works for sure. Heighten on the other hand doesn't mention bonuses, but ive never tried it.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Nice bug. When retraining using annoriel and selecting "spell specialization" i can't chose any spell, because there are no spells learnt by the character xD.

Or maybe that's working as intended?

Also after empowering a spell like inflict wounds mass, the new spell description doesn't mention/show any change in damage caused, which it should show as far as i understand what empower metamagic do.

Why does this game still have glaring bugs like these?

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
Can't you just right click those ghosts using a ghost touch weapon? Also they aren't completely immune to fire damage are they? There are a bunch of powerful anti-Undead spells in the game.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Ive already completed the basement/mansion[
i sided with nyrissa and now i will fight lantern king
], now im speculating how it could be sped up, ie. good builds for that. The game allows respec and custom mercenaries, why not use it next time, when i will replay the game?

Not all of many companions made it. Some of them by my hand.
I agreed with Jaethal's daughter that it was time for Jaethal's crimes and evil to be answered. Despite executing her there, she's was back around for Tristian to purge her with holy fire in HatEoT. That annoyed me.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Linzi chants were great, and she had some nice buff spells like greater heroism.

Good thing you didn’t find the other half of her action economy or then you’d really be crushed. One of biggest trolls in RPG history. Make Bard absurdly OP then take her away to make the Bard-haters taste it.

I don't multiclass, also i have nok nok as rogue.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Can't you just right click those ghosts using a ghost touch weapon? Also they aren't completely immune to fire damage are they? There are a bunch of powerful anti-Undead spells in the game.

Bingo. Let Harrim drop a Maximized Undeath to Death on their skinny little asses. They’ll get Corporeal fast.

Desiderius

Patron
Not all of many companions made it. Some of them by my hand.
I agreed with Jaethal's daughter that it was time for Jaethal's crimes and evil to be answered. Despite executing her there, she's was back around for Tristian to purge her with holy fire in HatEoT. That annoyed me.

You could have had a Negative Channeling Cleric of Pharasma to clean out Swarms and Ghosts single-handedly (Ghosts with spells and Repose Domain). Or you know a new Bard. Your loss.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I wasn't impressed with undeath to death[it didnt work at all, i thought because these demons had higher HD], but i think my mistake was using it in vordakai tomb vs astrademon and vs these other witch-like demons. That's why i havent used it since, but i found out by reading right now that demons arent undead, so that's why it hasnt worked.

Desiderius

Patron
Nice bug. When retraining using annoriel and selecting "spell specialization" i can't chose any spell, because there are no spells learnt by the character xD.

Or maybe that's working as intended?

Also after empowering a spell like inflict wounds mass, the new spell description doesn't mention/show any change in damage caused, which it should show as far as i understand what empower metamagic do.

Why does this game still have glaring bugs like these?

Because QA are storyphags. They did eventually get most things fixed.

When respeccing just do one level then exit. Then put your equipment back on and go one at a time as normal.

Desiderius

Patron
I wasn't impressed with undeath to death[it didnt work at all, i thought because these demons had higher HD], but i think my mistake was using it in vordakai tomb vs astrademon and vs these other witch-like demons. That's why i havent used it since, but i found out by reading right now that demons arent undead, so that's why it hasnt worked.

Good, good, feel the power of knowledge course through your veins…

Demons and Daemons (from Matt Daemon) such as Soul Eaters are Evil Outsiders. Become the Crusader’s Edgelord you were born to be.

Desiderius

Patron
If i want to strengthen buffs like bless would it be better to take empower or heighten metamagic skill? Empower specifically mention increasing bonuses, so i assume that works for sure. Heighten on the other hand doesn't mention bonuses, but ive never tried it.

You have better options than Bless since there is no way to enhance that +1. Heroism at minimum but you should have access to Heroic Invocation thru Unstoppable Khonda by House.

Hey Yosharian nice build guide, dumbass. It came up first on Brave Search when I was trying to find Khonda so looks like people are using it.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Seems that many buff spells like heroism, bless, prayer don't benefit at all from empower/heighten, they don't scale. Even scalable spells don't benefit. Is that only for damage spells/offensive abilities? No way to increase effectivness of buff spells?

Yosharian

Arcane
Seems that many buff spells like heroism, bless, prayer don't benefit at all from empower/heighten, they don't scale. Even scalable spells don't benefit. Is that only for damage spells/offensive abilities? No way to increase effectivness of buff spells?
For Empower to work there has to be a variable

From the text of the feat:

Saving throws and opposed rolls are not affected, nor are spells without random variables.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

You can. But they are a bit of a pain for buffed chars due to their Touch Attacks and Dispelling Strikes.

And no, they are definately not immune to fire. In fact fire roasts their asses good. But they have high Reflex and Evasion. They ARE immune to cold AFAIR, though.

Desiderius

Patron
What would be funny is if you could maximize or empower Vitals. Pretty sure you can with Mirror Image.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Ive finished the game, the fight with lantern king. The game literally tired me, especially the ending. I was dreading to just end it, and got no satisfaction from it. That's not how the ending should be. I get the idea of working hard for victory, but games are not chores, and definitely not work. The mist puzzle and lots of backtracking also contributed to immense tedium. Same complaint as was made for DC in Underrail before nerf, it was just dreadful experience. If i knew that i will get another long ass chapter of the game, by siding with
nyrissa -i thought that after siding with her i will fight lantern king right away in the house at the edge of time...how mistaken i was
then i would just say fuck it and kill her to end the game.

More content and filler, lengthening of the game for the sake of lengthening, isn't the best idea. Developers, please stop cramming unfleshed shit. At least end it with epic, PC melting battle instead of going back and forth to first clear locations, and then to find yet another three part artifact, while fighting SAME enemies. Enemy variety is king to not get player bored. This is the problem with PC RPGs or DnD PC games, the PC is not a sentient game master. A sentient game master understands when the players get bored and spice things up. A game can't have this -it's prescripted. That's why moderation and variety is king.

Given all my earlier posts and the ending i give this game 7+/8 out of 10. It would be easily 9/10 for me, if they changed and removed several things i've complained.

Desiderius

Patron
The idea of attenuating your powers after your attained the heights and making you figure out how to survive is an appealing one but not enough to make clearing the House something worth doing just to get to. They needed to pick one or the other not both.

Saravan

Savant
Ive finished the game, the fight with lantern king. The game literally tired me, especially the ending. I was dreading to just end it, and got no satisfaction from it. That's not how the ending should be. I get the idea of working hard for victory, but games are not chores, and definitely not work. The mist puzzle and lots of backtracking also contributed to immense tedium. Same complaint as was made for DC in Underrail before nerf, it was just dreadful experience. If i knew that i will get another long ass chapter of the game, by siding with
nyrissa -i thought that after siding with her i will fight lantern king right away in the house at the edge of time...how mistaken i was

More content and filler, lengthening of the game for the sake of lengthening, isn't the best idea. Developers, please stop cramming unfleshed shit. At least end it with epic, PC melting battle instead of going back and forth to first clear locations, and then to find yet another three part artifact, while fighting SAME enemies. Enemy variety is king to not get player bored. This is the problem with PC RPGs or DnD PC games, the PC is not a sentient game master. A sentient game master understands when the players get bored and spice things up. A game can't have this -it's prescripted. That's why moderation and variety is king.

Given all my earlier posts and the ending i give this game 7+/8 out of 10. It would be easily 9/10 for me, if they changed and removed several things i've complained.

Wholly agree, game has fantastic foundations but way too long to the point that you actually feel tired of playing it as you reach the end. The best portions were the earlier chapters. Hopefully the lesson is learned in WotR but with incredible power-creep of mythic paths I have my doubts.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In

Wholly agree, game has fantastic foundations but way too long to the point that you actually feel tired of playing it as you reach the end. The best portions were the earlier chapters. Hopefully the lesson is learned in WotR but with incredible power-creep of mythic paths I have my doubts.

The endgame reminded me of chapter with mites and kobolds, the slog of fighting centipedes, and centipedes only for hours. For god sake, just throw some other monsters there, make some interaction, disruption. Hours of nothing but wandering through the boring cave with centipedes. The first impression was very dull, that's why i've shelved this game for over a month. Returned installed new patch[22 may] and went through. I actually didn't mind chapters after troll chapter, i think the game actually got more interesting and got better enemy variety. Your team become enjoyable when pieces fit together, and you get some nice combo like poison delay and stinking cloud, protection from energy to fight these will o wisps, you get blur, bigger summons.

What Kingmaker did to me, is that it rekindled a flame to replay DOS2. I've wanted to replay kingmaker, but ending discouraged the idea. I need to either take a break, or play something else. I now i will not return to the dread of kingmaking and loading screen experience, hence the next kingdom will be on auto.

I wonder how different a playthrough would look if i played completely different, meaning evil character? As i understand the only changes would be:
-you rule city by terror and fear, reveling in unrest and gaining power from it
-you kill most characters and side characters
-you take "evil" offers from main characters like vordakai or lantern king?

I don't see many differences, but it might be fun to try sometime.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I agree that the house sucked. It sucked so much I stopped my nearly complete first playthrough there and didn't finish the game until like a year later with an entirely new playthrough.

BUT, I also think a lot of what happens during that ending is the game's strongest story parts. I really liked some small bits of the games story (I loved Jubilost's companion story, for instance), but in general I was kind of 'whatever' to most of the writing in the game. But I thought much of Nyrissa's and the Lantern Kings bits during the last couple of hours were pretty much bang on as far as brainless, P&P-like entertainment writing goes.

It's very difficult to handle these kinds of mysterious, fickle, godlike beings "beyond human comprehension" in a compelling manner - just look at Mass Effect's reapers for the most obvious example of how not to do it. The way Kingmaker presents the First World population and the way they apply their "logic" - especially in this final part of the game - was very well handled, I thought. The fairy stuff really comes off as inhuman almost cruel but still oddly innocent and playful.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
With regards to playing a different character, I went CG on my first playthrough and NE on my second. That was a MASSIVE mistake. While Chaotic Good was your run of the mill "good with some edgy thrown in" and LG seemed to have some fun "fascist saviour"-moments, Neutral Evil really sucked. Simply because it didn't have enough choice or identity. I could see Lawful Evil being fun, and maaaaybe even Chaotic Evil. LE seems to have a very strong identity and CE at least has a lot of *really* unique stuff. But neutral evil was kind of just Lawful Evil but with less options and less fun.

If I ever play the game again, it's gonna be LE.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom